Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employment Law

• 11-05-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

When a company advertises a job then offers the successful candidate a fixed-term contract, is this lawful when the position was not advertised as a fixed-term position? Even if the position was not necessarily advertised as permanent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

An advert is just an offer to receive offers - fundamental contract law. The offer is what is legally binding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Not always true that an advert is just an offer to receive offers (invitation to treat). There are exceptions to this rule such as if the person does some part performance - Carlill .v. Carbolic Smoke Ball and Lefkowitz .v. Great Minneapolis Surplus Store prove this. Although you would seem correct in this case as there is no part performance required, merely the person responding to the advert by sending a CV which means the employer can decide to refuse such a person. Just be wary as sometimes adverts can constitute an offer and be a binding unilateral contract even though the other person does not yet know who they are contracting with. A good example would be "Find my dog, reward €100", this person has created a contract with some unknown person who might have set out to find that persons dog, and so this constitutes an offer and is accepted when the person starts the performance of finding the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I'd describe that as a unilateral offer rather than an invitation to treat. imho a job ad could not be found to be a unilateral offer. As always happy to be proved wrong. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I'd describe that as a unilateral offer rather than an invitation to treat. imho a job ad could not be found to be a unilateral offer. As always happy to be proved wrong. :)

No no, I wasn't saying you were wrong in this case, I was just saying be wary that not all offers are invitations to treat!

Advertisement