Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone charging points in Cork City

Options
  • 11-05-2012 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm on my way home for the weekend and I forgot my charger. Are there any charge points (with modern cables) in the city, hopefully for an Experia X10?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

could just drop it into a phone retailer and ask em to juice it for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I just carry a charger and plug it into any convenient wall socket.
    All those phones use standard micro-USB chargers anyway, so you can usually pick up a neat one.

In countries with non-crazy over-engineered sockets, you usually have a smaller 2-pin plug for devices like this. It means you can carry a charger in your pocket in most of Europe and the US.

The Ireland & UK plug is just enormous and impractical for this kind of thing as it always requires a 3rd pin, even though it doesn't use it due to the shutter design that was used.

The Irish / British chargers will stab you in the leg due to having 3 huge, sharp pins

Normal Euro iPhone/iPod adapter 473-adaptateur-secteur-ipod-iphone-2.jpg

UK/IRL version apple-adapter-100-240v-1000ma-uk-plug-usb-power-charger-for-apple-ipod-iphone2g-3g-white-6342854713702182982.jpg

There is actually no safety advantage to the enormous UK/IRE one to be honest either.
    The continental European system also now has shuttered holes to prevent kids sticking things into the sockets in most countries, the sockets are recessed to prevent your fingers ever coming into contact with live pins, or for small non-earthed plugs, the pins are sheathed with plastic.

Also, the Irish / UK fuse in the plug is only required because we sometimes use 32Amp ring circuits to deliver power to sockets i.e. more than a plug/appliance cable could handle. Where as elsewhere they deliver 16Amps max to the sockets, which can be handled in a fault situation by the plugs/cables, thus making it possible to have non-fused plugs.

It's simply down to the fact that the designers of the sockets here never envisaged anyone carrying a portable device.

They were designed in the 1940s, and the portable gramaphone wasn't too popular :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Iron Hide wrote: »
    could just drop it into a phone retailer and ask em to juice it for ya

Tried it in Vodafone shops while being their customer and got refused in each. Don't think they'd do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Meteor did it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

you could try either:
    a: buying a spare one

or
    b: getting one of those cheap multi chargers from Tesco or somewhere

or
    c: borrow one from a friend?

i do think UCC student centre had a charge point but where i think i remember it is now an An post machine so im not sure if its still there.

• Advertisement

Those phone charge points were around for a while in a few places but I don't think anyone used them. (Hence they disappeared)

Just find a socket on the wall and plug your charger in! It's far more reliable and less hassle.

I don't think any cafe, anywhere I've ever been, objects to people plugging in laptops and phone chargers. Some even encourage it.

For example, the Coffee Station across from the main gates of UCC actually has sockets at each table.

If you can't find a socket, most places will be happy enough to plug it in somewhere for you if you ask nicely and you're buying something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Solair wrote: »
    Those phone charge points were around for a while in a few places but I don't think anyone used them. (Hence they disappeared)

Just find a socket on the wall and plug your charger in! It's far more reliable and less hassle.

I don't think any cafe, anywhere I've ever been, objects to people plugging in laptops and phone chargers. Some even encourage it.

For example, the Coffee Station across from the main gates of UCC actually has sockets at each table.

If you can't find a socket, most places will be happy enough to plug it in somewhere for you if you ask nicely and you're buying something :)

i think its the charger itself he/she is missing though :confused:

You can pick up Micro USB chargers dirt cheap anywhere and most phones accept them these days.

Advertisement