Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different types of Clematis

Options
  • 11-05-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi
    Planted two types of Clematis about a month ago. Miss Bateman and Etoile Violette, the Violette is flying and it has doubled in size but the Bateman is still the same height. Anyone familiar with these types and are the growth rates the norm.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The Etoile Violette is a bigger and more vigorous plant, but a month is hardly time to judge. Providing the Bateman looks healthy, don't worry about it. They are different plants and different varieties. I also planted two clematis in the past few weeks, and one is much higher than the other, but i don't consider it a cause for concern at this stage, they are different types.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Evergreen and deciduous clematis too.

I went with Clematis Armandii (apple blossom) which is evergreen.

I wanted green leaves in Winter and nice white flowers in Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Its a bit early yet to expect a lot of growth, especially in this weather.
    If you still have the pot and packaging of Miss Bateman see if it says " aquatic" and if it does it can bet grown in a pond. I am trying to source one.

Good luck, i think patience will reward you.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

paddy147 wrote: »

Evergreen was the plan with my garden. Actually bought three Clematis and only noticed after planting that two of them (according to the packaging cards) were deciduous:(. The evergreen one is Avalanche.

Arandale.. No mention of aquatic on cards.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tulipout wrote: »
    Evergreen was the plan with my garden. Actually bought three Clematis and only noticed after planting that two of them (according to the packaging cards) were deciduous:(. The evergreen one is Avalanche.

Arandale.. No mention of aquatic on cards.
    Thanks

Most clematis are deciduous, its the evergreen one that is an exception. They do lend themselves to growing through other things though, so if you put an evergreen nearby it would happily grow through it.

• Advertisement

Tuliput, thanks for checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 February21

paddy147 wrote: »

I cannot rave enough about the clemantis armandii. I planted mine to cover a very ugly wall in October 2010 - 17 months ago. Last spring I already got an impressive show of bridal-like flowers. AFter first flowering it grew at a phenonomal rate and this year it has grown to top of 4 metre wall!!! (see attached photos). It flowers on last years growth so the display was breath-taking this spring (march - don't have any pictures). It is planted in bad quality soil (lots of clay, no choice) and I have planted 3 low spreading rose bushes in front to create some protection for bottom stalk. Full sun. It has survived temps of minus 14 this winter. I am using clothes line tied onto very strong looped screws that we drilled into the cement to help it climb the wall. Now that it has reached the grill on the top it is supporting itself by trailing itself around it.

I also have a montana (deciduous) that is the same age - in a much less sunny spot. It has taken it 17 months to produce a flower (second spring) but has spread a lot and I know that from the rate it has grown that it will have totally covered a 5m wide railing by next spring (it's third spring). Amazing flowers but ugly enough in winter. Nevertheless I love it.

February 21, they look fab. Do you cut them back, my montana is very leggy with plenty of growth on top of tree where it has grown, its has plenty flowers at the moment but i think i should cut it back after it flowers.

Thanks. I haven't cut either of them back yet - as they are quite young and I am training them to cover as much wall/railing as possible. It's true that the montana only seems to flower near the top - my neighbours have an amazing montana which covers their entire railing and it flowers mainly at the top - when it looks as if someone threw a huge pink duvet over the railing. I think that the montana is much better suited to this type of structure (that it can fall over) rather than climbing a wall where it can appear scraggy on the bottom. I have read that if you need to tidy it up, you should do so around now, after spring flowering and before it starts growing for next years blossoms. You could plant a summer-flowering vine clematis to scramble over it, using it as a trellis in the summer when there are no flowers. Then you could cut it right back during autumn to allow the montana to prepare for spring.
    I should mention that I live in northern Italy - believe me gardening is much more of a challenge. We have unreal extremes of temp (-14 to 40) and just keeping plants alive is difficult. This winter I lost viburnum, young maples, lavender, ortensia, and variagated ivy. But the not the clematis! Not to mention the state of the grass (or what I like to call grass). I am like an idiot when I go home to Galway and marvel at peoples lawns!

looksee wrote: »
    Most clematis are deciduous, its the evergreen one that is an exception. They do lend themselves to growing through other things though, so if you put an evergreen nearby it would happily grow through it.

Going for a Honey Suckle (Lonicera Henryi) to grow with the Clematis. Aldi have Honey Suckles tomorrow for €6. Hopefully they have a few evergreen in the selection.

• Advertisement

Going for a Honey Suckle (Lonicera Henryi) to grow with the Clematis. Aldi have Honey Suckles tomorrow for €6. Hopefully they have a few evergreen in the selection.

I have this growing up a wire mesh (widely spaced). Brilliant for twining around the wires. 2 years and it has created a wonderful screen that blocks out my neighbours dog kennel. Perfect solution for all. If up a wall I would leave a decent space between wall and trellis. I have the Henryii - I would say it is half evergreen. It doesn't lose all it's leaves but does thin out a lot in the winter.

Clematis will sometimes die back when planted (shock) and then after about 2-3 weeks,they start to take off again.

A nice mix of peat free compost and farmyard manure gives them a good kickstart.:)

For a wall,a few lengths of PT (pressure treated) 2 x 1 screwed to the wall and a few PT trellis frames screwed to the 2 x 1 battons and this gives the Clematis and any other climber room to climb and attach themselves.

12 litres of Dulux Weathershield brilliant white.

Bare/unpainted wall given 1 "diluted" primer coat,and then 2 full coats of Dulux

6 x 6 foot PT Trellis Frames.

Black treatment applied to trellis frames.

16 foot lengths of PT 2 x 1 cut to size

Lengths of 2 x 1 with black treatment applied

Lengths of 2 x 1 drilled/fixed onto wall with 7mm rawl plugs and 70mm stainless steel screws

Trellis frames screwed to the 2 x 1 battons with 35mm stainless steel screws.

End result is a nice bright White wall,black trellis frames and evergreen clematis.

Might not be to everyones taste or style,but me and the girlfriend like it.

And it didnt cost an arm and a leg either.:)

Good idea Paddy on painting the Trellis black, say when its finished it will look really well.

Good idea Paddy on painting the Trellis black, say when its finished it will look really well.

Sitting in the back garden on a nice,warm,sunny day ( rarer than rocking horse poo these days),with a cold drink and the painting the trellis frames..

Nice and relaxing indeed.:D

Advertisement