Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy Monitor Kits :: Trec Energy Monitor -whats the payback period

Options
  • 11-05-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

these are on sale at €38 on facebook.
    assuming an average €100 per two months
    any estimates of the payback period

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

5% to 10% saving. So say about 8 months. The carbon trust in Britain have rated energy monitoring as the number one way to reduce energy and save money. Ranks much higher than replacing equipment or using renewable sources.

For it to be effective you must actually look at it.

P.S. that price on Facebook is widely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

eejoynt wrote: »

Its not really about payback time as such. To reduce your bills, you need to cut down on usage. That can be done without the monitors. Energy monitors are just an indicator as to what items may be using etc. It may show wastage, or you may not be able to make reductions.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    eejoynt wrote: »

Its not really about payback time as such. To reduce your bills, you need to cut down on usage. That can be done without the monitors. Energy monitors are just an indicator as to what items may be using etc. It may show wastage, or you may not be able to make reductions.
    Robbie, I think you don't give them enough credit. You can't manage what you can't measure.

ted1 wrote: »
    Robbie, I think you don't give them enough credit. You can't manage what you can't measure.

I have one myself. I just think the phrase `payback term` is not the ideal phrase for something that cost €38 and does not directly save electricity.

And to say you cant manage what you cant measure? So leave the immersion on 24 hours a day because you cant measure its usage?

• Advertisement

I have one myself. I just think the phrase `payback term` is not the ideal phrase for something that cost €38 and does not directly save electricity.

And to say you cant manage what you cant measure? So leave the immersion on 24 hours a day because you cant measure its usage?

Can you tell if its more economical to turn on sink for 10 minutes or bath for 2 minutes.
    I develop energy management software and hardware and have meet plenty of sparks along the way who under estimate the power of metering.

Fact it is the best energy saving investment you can make.

Can you tell if its more economical to turn on sink for 10 minutes or bath for 2 minutes.
    Sink for 10 minutes = bath for 6 minutes 40 seconds.
    I develop energy management software and hardware and have meet plenty of sparks along the way who under estimate the power of metering.
    Did any of them tell you that energy monitors dont truely meter?
    Fact it is the best energy saving investment you can make.
    That depends on the individual.

Genreally energy monitoring is metering. Usually were within a fraction of a perecent accurate. No none of them have said it to me, cause they would be wrong.

I realise domestic monitors don't take a reference voltage so won't be as accurate. But in general they do a good job at metering.

I didn't make up the fact, its stated by the carbon trust in the UK.

Genreally energy monitoring is metering. Usually were within a fraction of a perecent accurate. No none of them have said it to me, cause they would be wrong.

I realise domestic monitors don't take a reference voltage so won't be as accurate. But in general they do a good job at metering.

I didn't make up the fact, its stated by the carbon trust in the UK.

What fact is that? I don`t know what you meant in the first part there.

Edit: I think looking again, you might have meant the energy monitors are not as accurate as watt meters.

What fact is that?

This one. Fact it is the best energy saving investment you can make.

see figure 1
    http://www.carbontrust.com/media/63632/ctg011-renewable-energy-technologies.pdf

I don`t know what you meant in the first part there

i was replying to this one.
    Did any of them tell you that energy monitors dont truely meter?

what exactly do you mean.

• Advertisement

This one. Fact it is the best energy saving investment you can make.

see figure 1
    http://www.carbontrust.com/media/63632/ctg011-renewable-energy-technologies.pdf

I don`t know what you meant in the first part there

i was replying to this one.

what exactly do you mean.

I never made any point on whether they are a good investment or not. I simply said that telling a random person with a €100 bill that they will have a payback period of x time is hard to say for certain.

If they waste large amounts, then they might. If they are already sensible, then they might save little or nothing, but assume just having the monitor will still make savings.

The likely reason they rank ahead of replacing equipment or renewable energies is because they are €40 or €50 compared to €1000+ for a condensing boiler for example. Its not ranking ahead of such an item because its actually better at reducing energy usage.

And a condensing boiler as the example above, is where payback time is a real factor, because its over €1000, and is going to certainly reduce energy consumption compared to an older boiler for the same usage.

I have an energy monitor myself, but to say they are guaranteed to result in savings for any user is the point i would argue with.

Advertisement