Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Phone contracts

Options
  • 11-05-2012 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Obv important to sort out a canadian contact no. for jobs etc as soon as you get there.

going to be in vancouver for 3months. whats the best networks to go with. need something that can be paid on monthly basis and doesnt tie me in to a 12 month contract.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if you have an unlocked phone that's compatible with one of the networks, you'll be able to pick up a sim card and get the benefits of a plan (better prices etc) without being tied into a contract

koodo are who i'd recommend at the moment in terms of overall coverage, services and price

you'll get unlimited incoming calls, unlimited outgoing calls, unlimited international texts, voicemail, caller id and 2gb of data for $80 a month - which is pretty good. you'll get better prices with the likes of wind, but you'll need to pay extra to use it outside their designated coverage areas, so they might not suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

are you saying you might get charged for incoming calls and caller ID on other networks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

are you saying you might get charged for incoming calls and caller ID on other networks?

Yes and pay to have voicemail on your account

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

welcome to Canada!

I pay 70 a month on a bill to get the exact same things I got with Meteor for 20 Euro a month on pay as you go

it's a complete rip-off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Phones are crazy in Canada. Everything that's standard in Ireland you have to pay for in Canada. My Canadian friends seemed happy to be ripped off. When I was in Canada I was with Wind. I paid $25 a month for caller ID, voicemail, didn't pay to receive calls, international txts. Local phone calls were included too. Didn't bother with data. It was cheap and worked fine in the Vancouver area. The thing with wind though was you had to buy one of their handsets. You can get a pretty cheap handset or expensive one if you want. If I was only spending a summer in Vancouver I would go with something like this, cheap and cheerful.

In Ireland €20 a month on 3 gets me all you can eat data (well, 15gb I think, more than enough anyway) and free txts to any network. If you introduced something like that in Canada they wouldn't know what hit them.

• Advertisement

not might, will - unless you have an unlimited plan

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

IMightKnow wrote: »

If you shop around its not that bad. Mobilicity do a deal for $55 a month you get unlimited calls, text, data and even international text. Works pit pretty cheap but you will be confined to the city you signed up in, roaming charges anywhere else. Koodo have something similar. Fairly decent if you plan to spend all your time in one place and there is no fixed contract.

If you bring your phone over there's a good chance it wont work on any network but rogers. I had a HTC desire fully unlocked and that was the only network it was compatible with.

I went for virgin supertab in The Source. Got a HTC amaze for free and $200 off a $500 40" Samsung tv... pretty sweet deal. Every month they take a portion of my bill and use it to pay off ny fone. I can leave at anytime but just gotta pay off the remainder. At $60 a month for all my calls, text, data and international text its not too shabby

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Does anybody know how compatable an iPhone 4 bought from apple Ireland is in Vancouver/Canada?

NoelAPM wrote: »
    Does anybody know how compatable an iPhone 4 bought from apple Ireland is in Vancouver/Canada?

if it's unlocked you'll be good for fido, koodo, bell, telus and rogers

out of those, koodo are your best bet

• Advertisement
Advertisement