Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-built machine; am I stuck with it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nope. You need 2x molex to 6 pin cable.

And sata to molex adapter, just to be on a safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

I'm a bit hopeless with the terminology but I seem to be getting some mixed results with "molex to six pin" is there a more official name like Pci express "something something"

This is what you need

2x molex in to 6 pin

120038919033164175.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Alactric wrote: »

I'm a bit hopeless with the terminology but I seem to be getting some mixed results with "molex to six pin" is there a more official name like Pci express "something something"

This
    http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en-GB&gl=ie&client=safari&tab=wi&q=molex%20to%206%20pin&sa=N&biw=320&bih=416#i=0

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, amazon had a really lousy selection.

Their adapters are good too?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-037-OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Why are you linking molex to sata?

If you want to go with amazon and their free delivery(when you spend over £25) then you can get this one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00118EWLS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

As other's have said, you may actually get one in the box with your GPU so I would call the retailer before you order, it may save you a few quid.

Effluo wrote: »
    Why are you linking molex to sata?

If you want to go with amazon and their free delivery(when you spend over £25) then you can get this one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00118EWLS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

As other's have said, you may actually get one in the box with your GPU so I would call the retailer before you order, it may save you a few quid.

Not sure, I'm kind of filling out a shopping list here and it got brought up, it'll allow me to split off some more Sata points? which I may or may not need more of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Regarding the molex to pci 6 pin connector. If you got the card someone linked earlier from Komplett the molex to pci 6 pin will be included or at least it says it will on it's product page.
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1037&pid=1270&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

I can't find the specific information regarding the product linked from pixmania, but I reckon it will also include a molex to pci connector.

I see now why you were looking at the sata to molex cables.

I'm supposing the guy is saying you could get it in case there isn't 2 spare molex connectors on your PSU.
    The easiest way to find out if you have 2 free molex connectors in your PC right now is to just open it up and have a goo. (you're going to have to open it sometime might as well do it now and potentially save yourself a few bob or maybe put the money saved to the charity in my sig :p)

You will hopefully find two of these coming from your PSU(doesn't matter if they're on the same cable).
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Molex_female_connector.jpg

If you've got em, then you'll be set when your new card comes :)

• Advertisement

So I had a look see inside and I have 1 white free (female) and 2 black (male?)

So I guess I should get an adapter?

So 1 molex and 2 sata. This was the reason I got sata to molex adapters. I got two, so I could use bouth on same cable.

You got two adapters?

yup, molex was on one cable and satas were on other cable. so it was more tidy to make 2 molex out of satas and then make 6 pin out of those 2 new molex.

sounds very confusing, but it is easyer then it sounds ;)

yup, molex was on one cable and satas were on other cable. so it was more tidy to make 2 molex out of satas and then make 6 pin out of those 2 new molex.

sounds very confusing, but it is easyer then it sounds ;)

So the card and the ram arrived today. It actually had a 6 pin in the box so I'm good to go on that front. But you were right about the adapter, but they should arrive tomorrow, so no worries there.

While I'm biding my time maybe you could tell me about some of the more practical performance aspects? Things like temp and noise?

btw I emptied out the box only have a code for Dirt 3 fall out, how crazy is that? :D I know what I'll be testing with.

Sapphire run really quiet you won't even hear it ram makes no differance .
    As for temps il check when I get home but graphics card with me on battlefield 3 at high settings for 3 hours it's about 60 degrees I think il check when I get home later

Did u check the room you have to spare , I had to remove a network card to fit the graphics card , didnt matter as I wasnt using it anyway but check out what room you have in there it will be a fair bit bigger than your old card

Did u check the room you have to spare , I had to remove a network card to fit the graphics card , didnt matter as I wasnt using it anyway but check out what room you have in there it will be a fair bit bigger than your old card

So I actually have everything ready to go, just waiting on the f-ing molex to sata adapter in the post. I fitted the card just to see what it was like and it fits like a glove. Did a lot of stuff while I was inside there too. Gave the processing fan and the airflow shroud a good clean and tidied up some wires. I also installed the ram, it registered immediately, no problem. It only shows 3.3gb on Dxdiag, though I guess that was to be expected with the OS.

Forgot to check in here in the last few days. So I got everything set up and it runs everything I've thrown at it really well. It auto detects everything on high and runs at a solid 30-40 fps.

This whole upgrading lark has got my mind racing though. Saw a 750w PSU about the same size as my current one in town the other day and the thought of overclocking my q6600 to 3.2ghz is very tempting :D

Anyway thanks for all the help over the last week, really got me motivated.

Forgot to check in here in the last few days. So I got everything set up and it runs everything I've thrown at it really well. It auto detects everything on high and runs at a solid 30-40 fps.

This whole upgrading lark has got my mind racing though. Saw a 750w PSU about the same size as my current one in town the other day and the thought of overclocking my q6600 to 3.2ghz is very tempting :D

Anyway thanks for all the help over the last week, really got me motivated.
    if you need more help, then you knowwhere to find us. ;)

if you need more help, then you knowwhere to find us. ;)

So, here's another part of the ongoing saga of my XPS 420. In my ignorance I was unaware that like, 95% of Dell mobos are a no go when it comes to OC'ing. So I start looking at the possibility of getting a used Asus or something and I come across this crackpot post.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58361

So I follow all the instructions thinking "BSOD ahoy!" and ye know what? It actually worked. 3.0 ghz easy. All cores running between 20C idle and 40 max load. So a piece of black electrical tape spared me a new mother board and cooler, and going through the whole process of OCing just to get like, what? 3.2ghz? Madness altogether. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement