Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA without N+ or previous Networking experience

Options
  • 11-05-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Yo

I'm interested in doing the CCNA as a 2 part course, online

I dont have any previous knowledge or experience in Networks. Would the CCNA cover the basics of Networking, or should I do the N+ first for that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

CCNA 1 is networking fundamentals, it will go through all the basics of networking (at a serious pace), some experience helps but isn't necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

unreggd wrote: »
    Yo

I'm interested in doing the CCNA as a 2 part course, online

I dont have any previous knowledge or experience in Networks. Would the CCNA cover the basics of Networking, or should I do the N+ first for that?
    Depends how easily you understand tech concepts. You might be best to do the N+ or else the CCNA very slowly so that the stuff actually sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

If you're planning on getting into cisco networking then Id just go straight for the ICND1 :)

If you go for the Netowk+ and then go for the ICND1 afterwards it's going to get extremely repetitive and boring going over the same old material.

You will be itching to get your hands on some routers while the rest of the class are toddling along learning all about the various protocols / port numbers / the OSI model etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Are there much prospects starting a career in IT if you only have the A+ and CCNA, without any work experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are there much prospects starting a career in IT if you only have the A+ and CCNA, without any work experience?

As with most careers your not going to walk into a mid to top level job without experience. But those two certs would let you walk into a multitude of helpdesk roles in Ireland atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

As with most careers your not going to walk into a mid to top level job without experience. But those two certs would let you walk into a multitude of helpdesk roles in Ireland atm.

What would be a starting salary for jobs like that, no experience but the A+ and CCNA? EDIT: When you say helpdesk, do you mean call center type jobs, or office job desk based helpdesk support?

It seems there are a lot of positions looking for CCNA type qualifications, would it be possible to get one of these without experience? They are all looking for 3+ years exp. but if there is a shortage of people with these skills (which I have read, don't know if it's true) would it be possible to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yeah, thats the type of job I'm after to start with.

I think Ill get a degree in IT regardless

but I wanna get my A+ and CCNA first, so ideally I could work a helpdesk job while I study part time

thanks

Elessar wrote: »
    What would be a starting salary for jobs like that, no experience but the A+ and CCNA? EDIT: When you say helpdesk, do you mean call center type jobs, or office job desk based helpdesk support?

It seems there are a lot of positions looking for CCNA type qualifications, would it be possible to get one of these without experience? They are all looking for 3+ years exp. but if there is a shortage of people with these skills (which I have read, don't know if it's true) would it be possible to get one?

My last company were hiring internal helpdesk staff supporting 2k users at around 20k a year plus bonus's training etc. An A+ and CCNA would have gotten you a interview relative to the Bsc's who were also applying. They were not interested in anybody with more then a years experience in a similar role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

How long would it take, generally speaking, to get up to a decent, livable salary, say €26-28k/yr?

Elessar wrote: »
    How long would it take, generally speaking, to get up to a decent, livable salary, say €26-28k/yr?

No idea really. I don't see any reason why you couldn't be on 100k in five years besides knowledge, drive and opportunity.

My last company offered 250 Euros per professional exam completed and they paid for the exam. Caveat was self study only or struggle to get put onto a course every couple of years.

I started, saw my opportunity and they soon changed the policy to put a yearly cap of 2500 on it.

Then 2000.

Then per professional qualification(Eg:MCSA, MCITP).

Then relevant to your job only.

Then they started blanking me.

Out of a building site, five years in that company and I wouldn't consider 25k a offer now. I love IT support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hoping to do this myself, thrown up between the 2 city centre courses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Yeah, thats the type of job I'm after to start with.

I think Ill get a degree in IT regardless

but I wanna get my A+ and CCNA first, so ideally I could work a helpdesk job while I study part time

thanks

If you got the CCNP and MCITP and the 4 years experience working, would it be worth your while doing a degree???

Having the N+ means you'll have all thr theory part of the CCNA down, that will leave you to concentrate on using the Command Line and Cisco IOS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I seen CCNP is cheap enough once you've completed CCNA, is it worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Vicxas wrote: »
    I seen CCNP is cheap enough once you've completed CCNA, is it worth it?
    It is but you are better off having experience when doing it or working in a job already to use it as its more in depth than just fundamentals of networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Iv done the N+ and am doing the ICND1 now. I dont know if its because iv already done the N+ or if its that the cisco material is better but the ICND1 for me is easier to absorbe.

Advertisement