Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason to own a restricted shotgun?

Options
  • 11-05-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

To follow on from this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056623690

What if any is 'Good Reason' to own a restricted shotgun??

Say something like a Mossberg Maverick 88 pump - 24" barrel and 8 shot mag.

And please try to stay on topic without straying off the subject.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You could argue you need more than 3 cartridges in the gun for pigeons etc but the barrel being under 24" is harder to justify...you could say you need it in a small hide etc. but if it was as easy as that more people would have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

CliveJ

Be honest.

Just because you absolutely have to have one. :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

clivej wrote: »
    Say something like a Mossberg Maverick 88 pump - 24" barrel and 8 shot mag.

maybe just say the standard one wont fit under your crombie coat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Proof you will be travelling with it to shoot and want slugs for deer and boar and that you want the extra shots for boar incase they keep coming in your direction is all i can think of.

Not sure you'd get a away with a shorter barrel though.
    They'll just tell you build a bigger hide.

A Sound chief super might help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Isn't 24 inches at the limit anyway and so non-restricted ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

rowa wrote: »
    Isn't 24 inches at the limit anyway and so non-restricted ?

But is restricted when used with the 8 shot mag

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Following good reasons;

Travelling to hunt in the EU for boar and or deer at close range in forest area.And in some cases pheasents and winged game:p[IE Hungary]

Travelling to compete in IPSC practical shotgun matches.

Intend [if and when] we get two disiplines of BDMP/1500 set up for shotgun shooting which require slugs.

Vermin shooting,up to and including culling goats in forestry area.Where due to thick foilage and short distances a rifle is impractical,whereas slugs or buckshot wouldnt be,and would be a less risk of over travel.

24ins is minimum legal length,so they wont say much about it on unrestricted.
    As alawys,dont just say you want it vaugely for somthing.
    Have PROOF that you intend to use it for its said usage.IE you are going to go shooting IPSC,get liscensed up,[however we do this nowadays from the ROI with NI and the UK] or go and do the course and shoot a few friendlies in NI.
    Or get a place where goats or feral piegons are a pest so you can use it for vermin shooting.
    Prove you need and you shall get.[Most of the time that is.]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Had in my hand today a mosberg .410 with 7 shot mag and silencer! It was class and so quiet, like an air rifle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Dont mean to to off topic clive but its sorta related to the answer i gave in answering your question after some taught..

Say i bring my mossy 88 abroad on a hunting trip, here ive to have it plugged to 3 rounds and no slugs,but if im in a country where 5 shot and slugs are legal am I licenced to use it in that country without the plug and with slugs? or does the law here apply on the licence there?

obviously if i am my reasons for getting a restricted licence are invalid.

I have the licence gone in for the Maverick 88 and have the mag plugged for the unrestricted limit of 2+1.

Grizzly 45 you make the most sense for 'good reason' to go for the restricted licence at a later date. I must check it out more. I like the idea of the practical shooting comps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

clivej wrote: »
    I have the licence gone in for the Maverick 88 and have the mag plugged for the unrestricted limit of 2+1.

Nice gun. I take it you did not go for the one with the 2 pistol grips:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I doubt you should have to give any reason as its legal and not restricted. Say its for hunting nothing else. A guy i work with has one and he didn't have any issue getting his but he finds it absolutely useless for hunting as there's so wide of a spread and its cylinder bore. <mod snip>, its your business what you want it for

garv123 wrote: »
    Say i bring my mossy 88 abroad on a hunting trip, here ive to have it plugged to 3 rounds and no slugs,but if im in a country where 5 shot and slugs are legal am I licenced to use it in that country without the plug and with slugs? or does the law here apply on the licence there?

obviously if i am my reasons for getting a restricted licence are invalid.

That wil depend on the country 's hunting laws.Most Western EU have a three shot hunting rule.DEPENDING on what you are hunting.The East bloc countries some will ,and some dont really care,but might have a problem with the TYPE of gun.
    EG Austria,apprently all pump action shotguns are Verboten,even in transit thru Austria,so shooting an IPSC match over there requires a special permit for a pump action.But a semi is no problem.

Germany,they dont like pump actions on well heeled clay ranges due to it s"Gangster" image.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.And will confiscate any IPSC shotguns with more than a 9 shot mag capability.And the average German cop if sent to police an event does know how to load and unload a pump/semi auto to check it.:eek:

[no wonder people have been hinting to me to buy the Benelli M3 pump/semi shotgun for over there.:D]

Hungary they dont care ,[where I've shot anyway ] what your mag capacity is on a shotgun.But no semi auto rifles are allowed to hunt.

Best to check it out with the country you are going shooting in or competeing in what is the local law.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

4200fps wrote: »
    I doubt you should have to give any reason as its legal and not restricted. Say its for hunting nothing else. A guy i work with has one and he didn't have any issue getting his but he finds it absolutely useless for hunting as there's so wide of a spread and its cylinder bore. <mod snip>, its your business what you want it for

I do realise that with the mag p
    plugged its is unrestricted. But I'm looking for the 'Good reason' without the plug for use at a later time. :)

ANd as we all konw Home security is not a reason to own. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

4200fps wrote: »
    , its your business what you want it for

I'd say the CS would be real receptive to that being written down on your application:pac:

TBH lads we DO need to get the BDMP/1500 target shotgun events going here.Would anyone here be willing to partake of such an event/competition if such could be organised???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    TBH lads we DO need to get the BDMP/1500 target shotgun events going here.Would anyone here be willing to partake of such an event/competition if such could be organised???
    I would anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Hi all, please forgive my ignorance(ye should be used to it by now ;)),but what is BDMP??

Bundes der Militaer und Polizeischeutzen .[Bet you are sorry for asking now?:D] http://www.bdmp.de/ [think there is an english page in there somwhere!]

Trans ; military and police target shooting union..Do alot with the WA1500 disiplines.
    BTW the Military and police target refence is a direct translation of the name from German and not what they shoot ,and haven shot in yonks.

BTW should carify it should be actually be WA1500 where the disipline is and is regulated by them
    I'm just in a habit of taking BDMP/1500 as a word association interchageable term,as BDMP does cover in Germany WA1500 shooting.
    So apologies for any confusion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cheers Griz, feckin hell that website is hard work:) I'll have a proper look tomorrow when the smithwicks wears off!

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I would anyway

Put me down for a go as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'd nearly give it a go out of curiosity alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭czgalway

i have the exact same model a maverick 88 with a 24" barrel and a 7 shot mag with one in the barrell so 8 mine is plugged had no bother getting it is yours a fixed cylinder bore with no rib on the barrell?

czgalway wrote: »
    i have the exact same model a maverick 88 with a 24" barrel and a 7 shot mag with one in the barrell so 8 mine is plugged had no bother getting it is yours a fixed cylinder bore with no rib on the barrell?

Yes that's the one. Short 'n sweet. :D

Got the six/three 24 in with rifle sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

From what you describe I would go with Zombie Apocalypse......

Advertisement