Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding an urban planning job abroad

Options
  • 11-05-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello all,

I am a young graduate in urban planning and as you know there are not many opportunities out there at the moment.

I would like to know if any of you have worked in Germany, the Netherlands or Denmark and could share their experience and precious advices on out to start to look for a job there.

Much appreciated and thank you for your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hello all,

I am a young graduate in urban planning and as you know there are not many opportunities out there at the moment.

I would like to know if any of you have worked in Germany, the Netherlands or Denmark and could share their experience and precious advices on out to start to look for a job there.

Much appreciated and thank you for your help!

Let me start by saying I have no experience of urban planning, but I imagine that you'd need to have a good command of the local language, since you'd be required to interact with the locals on a professional basis... I should also imagine that you'd need to be able to consult local law etc... which would be written in the local language... So how is your German, Dutch and Danish???

As for finding jobs I'd say start with Monster.com... also visit some of the expat sites like www.toytowngermany.com and so on...

If you can find a suitable position would you consider a graduate program at one of the European multinationals as an alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Let me start by saying I have no experience of urban planning, but I imagine that you'd need to have a good command of the local language, since you'd be required to interact with the locals on a professional basis... I should also imagine that you'd need to be able to consult local law etc... which would be written in the local language... So how is your German, Dutch and Danish???

Not necessarily, I'm also a town planning graduate and a significant amount of town planning work in the Netherlands is done through English for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

The Dutch do have amazing english so I wouldnt worry about working there without Dutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OP, the planning systems in all those countries are very different to the planning you have studied, you'd need to completely re-learn planning law and pass the professional exams there before being able to practice. I'm not 100% but I don't think there's cross recognition of qualifications. Planning is a profession that doesn't cross boundaries well unless you remain within the Commonwealth (excluding Canada).

Advertisement