Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

¡¿Una Pregunta Española?!

• 11-05-2012 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

Just thought I'd create a thread for all the estudiantes de espanol who want to ask questions about the exam in the run up to June 19th...!

-

I'll start off:
    In Section B (HL), question 2 states 'Write in english the meaning, in context, of the following phrases...'.
    I was told by my teacher that you must not just translate the given phrase, but instead you must write it in another form. However, the marking scheme awards marks using the exact translations, and so now I'm confused.

So what is the right way of answering, and what does 'in the context' mean exactly?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've never done Spanish, but a simple example would be - he won a big prize on the fat one - straight translation, but he won a big prize on the lottery - translation in context.
    Isn't the spanish lottery called the fat one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I do Spanish and our teacher tells us to translate directly into English :D
    If the marking says that too I would go with that!

Also I think you can slightly adjust your translation if you dont know a specific word..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MedGirl17

Just make sure whatever you translate it to makes sense in English, that's the most important part! We have several Spanish natives in our class and they often lose marks by directly translating as it doesn't quite make sense in English. Also, always check back to the sentence the quote is from to make sure what you've written as a translation fits in with the sentence, that's what 'in the context' means-for example, checking you have correctly translated 'le' or 'se'.

Advertisement