Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Nonexistent !

• 11-05-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Most major sites relocate their users to a 'regionalized' edition for language or currency reasons.

Its just annoying that Ireland is ommitted from so many these landing pages.

In a screenshot of Loctite.com which I have attached, Ireland is not even in the top 33 countries listed!

Usually we are bundled in with UK which is fine for lauguage purposes but most of the time the price of the stock is in sterling, Many times I have been forced to select France/French just to price a product - This happen to many users?

Maplins for example find it perfectly acceptable to bounce people typing www.maplins.ie over to the uk based maplins.co.uk

I would just like to see a few more Irish tricolours on landing pages, seen as most of the big players such as Google, Facebook, Yahoo and PayPal among others are located here in Ireland

Would you like to see Ireland recognized more on big company websites? 66 votes

Yes, absolutly
    0% 0 votes
    No, it does not bother me
    63% 42 votes
    I'm used to Ireland been left behind by Europe / Rest of the world.
    36% 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Johnny_191

Most major sites relocate their users to a 'regionalized' edition for language or currency reasons.

In a screenshot of Loctite.com which I have attached, Ireland is not even in the top 33 countries listed!

Usually we are bundled in with UK which is fine for lauguage purposes but most of the time the price of the stock is in sterling, Many times I have been forced to select France/French just to price a product - This happen to many users?

Maplins for example find it perfectly acceptable to bounce people typing www.maplins.ie over to the uk based maplins.co.uk

I would just like to see a few more Irish tricolours on landing pages, seen as most of the big players such as Google, Facebook, Yahoo and PayPal among others are located here in Ireland.

Mods could you please merge this with poll and post (I think they were independent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not really a Consumer Issue and I don't even really know where to put it.

Moved to After Hours

dudara

The simple fact is that Ireland isn't really that big of a country.

Its not about size, its about power!!:eek:

Thanks for the move by the way!

in After Hours with the like of :

'Do you ever check out your own naked arse in the mirror?'

and How long do you shower for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Johnny_191 wrote: »
    Its not about size, its about power!!:eek:

and How long do you shower for?
    Lol. I usually find Ireland in the dropdown though - either as Republic of Ireland, or at the very top.

I agree we are slowly coming around but have you looked at some of the countries in the Loctite European list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I find the lack of Atari Jaguar disturbing.

The Jaguar was never a runner, the size of that Jaysus controller!

I can sleep easy in my bed known that Ykpaiha made the list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Ah now, don't go belittling my quality thread!

Back on topic, yeah this kind of thing bugs me alright. I know they're gone now but GAME used to have "www.game.co.uk" attached to all their shopfronts in the Republic of Ireland. I mean how difficult would it have been to put up "Game.ie" instead, even if that just redirected to the uk site. It's like they didn't even realise they were operating in another country.

Your thread title is beautiful don't get me wrong, I just don't like getting dropkicked by any 'MOD'

I can't believe that about the game shop fronts!

a redirection doesn't really solve the problem - http://www.game.fr/ Has Euro prices and french language,

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Whats wrong with a game.ie (20 Euro domain fees) combined with English text (an afternoons work for some web developer?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

What's the big deal about loctite?

Most glue sniffers I know buy their gear in the local shop, not over the interwebs.

Seriously, we are all more or less British anyway so I don't see any problem being lumped in with the UK by big multinationals*

*unsubscribes from thread and runs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I find most actually do have an Ireland option. If not I just pick UK.

Its not about loctite specifically that was just my example.

I could give you loads! garmin, lego, samsung all just believe we don't need a .ie with an Irish flag. (as I said 20euro for the .ie domain and a few minutes to copy the euro prices)

'Just lump them in with the brits, sure its the same place practically'

It wouldn't happen in other countries, why should we put up with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Monkeyboots

U tell 'em Johnny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Cogito ergo sum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

After Hours isn't a dumping ground for garbage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

A lot of the major websites I use have an Irish option. Those that don't (*cough* HMV *cough*) aren't too much trouble to work around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

we should tell the ra they'll fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Your thread title is beautiful don't get me wrong, I just don't like getting dropkicked by any 'MOD'

I can't believe that about the game shop fronts!

a redirection doesn't really solve the problem - http://www.game.fr/ Has Euro prices and french language,

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Whats wrong with a game.ie (20 Euro domain fees) combined with English text (an afternoons work for some web developer?)

I can answer you specifically about that one. The company that owns the game.ie domain wouldn't sell it! (Its the people who run Click magazine I think). However, you could argue, well you could have set up game-stores.ie or something similar, which is fair enough, but then you run into another problem, the Irish domain name registrar will only sell a .ie domain to businesses registered in Ireland, and a surprising number of UK businesses, even though they operate here, don't do it through an Irish ltd company.

Then you get to the main issue; is it worth setting up a .ie domain (and going through the steps above)? It depends. For certain companies who only operate in the UK and Ireland (Debenhams springs to mind), yes, eventually is worth it and they do it. For others, if its a choice between developing an Irish site (euro pricing etc. no postcodes, weird crap like laser cards that no-one else has, population 5M) or France (same issues but population 60M), guess which one gets the attention? Its just economics. Most of them want to set up an Irish site, but it always goes to the bottom of the list. Look at M&S, they've had a site for years, launched all over the world, and just got around to Ireland in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I would just like to see a few more Irish tricolours on landing pages, seen as most of the big players such as Google, Facebook, Yahoo and PayPal among others are located here in Ireland

People in Ireland don't need Loctite to stop their nuts loosening up.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    People in Ireland don't need Loctite to stop their nuts loosening up.

You should see my townhalls lad.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

It took you two years to come up with that retort?

For shame.

You surely could have thought of something much better to say after two years of mulling it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pay no attention to them OP , its nice to see your hale and hearty.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

He don't post much, bless him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Its not about loctite specifically that was just my example.

I could give you loads! garmin, lego, samsung all just believe we don't need a .ie with an Irish flag. (as I said 20euro for the .ie domain and a few minutes to copy the euro prices)

'Just lump them in with the brits, sure its the same place practically'

It wouldn't happen in other countries, why should we put up with it?

It happens in other countries all the time. Belgium gets frequently attached to the Netherlands. A German website is also for Austria and Switzerland. Amazon Netherlands redirects to .co.uk, check it out.

Garmin does indeed have a .ie, I am looking at it right now and so does Samsung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Stop slagging the OP! It will take him another 2 years to think up a retort to each post slagging him off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

People need to realise that we are a tiny fish in an utterly colossal pond.

Lumping us in with the UK makes the best sense for multinationals because we are irrelevant in the grander scheme of things.

Lumping us in with the UK makes the best sense for multinationals because we are irrelevant in the grander scheme of things.

It happens all the time - Ireland is linked in with the UK cinema box office. There was a great moment when the Guard wasn't even released in the UK, yet made it to number 5 (or 7, can't remember) of their box office because of the number of people going to see it in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't care about the URL or branding. But I HATE when I go to a site and only realize it doesn't work at the last second.

Amazon.co.uk is the worst offender I've found.

I log in, it knows I'm from Ireland. I've got an account with an Irish billing address. I search for some items, I add them to my cart. I go through the entire check-out process.....final step they tell me

'Oh sorry, some items in your basket have problems'

Then I find out that 1/2 of items I'm trying to purchase won't deliver to Ireland.

When I'm searching for items, they don't tell me. I can't exclude items that they won't deliver to Ireland. So I'm stuck adding crap to my basket, trying to checkout, just to see if I've found one that will deliver.

Then, they've got this Super Saver Delivery crap. Sounds good, they make a big deal out of it. So let's say I pick an item that qualifies...then I go to check out...again, at the VERY LAST step of the checkout - they charge me 8 pounds for delivery. It should be free. Nothing explains why. You can dig through the site's fine print for a few hours, and eventually, you can find something describing the additional rules that only apply to Ireland for the Super Saver Delivery. It doesn't work, unless you spend a certain amount of money - but that's just for Ireland. And you'll almost certainly not find it on your own.

I'd stop using Amazon.co.uk - but the Irish retailers are so bad I keep doing it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Except when they're looking to avoid taxes in their new office :)

Advertisement