Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Nonexistent !

Options
2»

Comments

UCDVet wrote: »
    I don't care about the URL or branding. But I HATE when I go to a site and only realize it doesn't work at the last second.

Amazon.co.uk is the worst offender I've found.

I log in, it knows I'm from Ireland. I've got an account with an Irish billing address. I search for some items, I add them to my cart. I go through the entire check-out process.....final step they tell me

'Oh sorry, some items in your basket have problems'

Then I find out that 1/2 of items I'm trying to purchase won't deliver to Ireland.

When I'm searching for items, they don't tell me. I can't exclude items that they won't deliver to Ireland. So I'm stuck adding crap to my basket, trying to checkout, just to see if I've found one that will deliver.

Then, they've got this Super Saver Delivery crap. Sounds good, they make a big deal out of it. So let's say I pick an item that qualifies...then I go to check out...again, at the VERY LAST step of the checkout - they charge me 8 pounds for delivery. It should be free. Nothing explains why. You can dig through the site's fine print for a few hours, and eventually, you can find something describing the additional rules that only apply to Ireland for the Super Saver Delivery. It doesn't work, unless you spend a certain amount of money - but that's just for Ireland. And you'll almost certainly not find it on your own.

I'd stop using Amazon.co.uk - but the Irish retailers are so bad I keep doing it :(

Pppssstt. Parcel motel. Pssssttt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Pppssstt. Parcel motel. Pssssttt.

I'm afraid I'm not following you. Do they also forward mail? I thought it was just a locker where you could pick up your package.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

UCDVet wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'm not following you. Do they also forward mail? I thought it was just a locker where you could pick up your package.
    You can have stuff delivered to their depot in NI (Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim), and therefore pay UK postage. It then gets shipped down to the lockers here. You pay 3.50 per package.

The fact that it gets delivered to the Parcel Motel lockers is an added bonus in that you don't get all the problems associated with couriers like them not being able to find your address or you not being in.

The only snag to look out for is that some places only ship to mainland UK, i.e. excluding NI and other islands, but they're not that common.

Alun wrote: »
    You can have stuff delivered to their depot in NI (Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim), and therefore pay UK postage. It then gets shipped down to the lockers here. You pay 3.50 per package.

The fact that it gets delivered to the Parcel Motel lockers is an added bonus in that you don't get all the problems associated with couriers like them not being able to find your address or you not being in.

The only snag to look out for is that some places only ship to mainland UK, i.e. excluding NI and other islands, but they're not that common.

Another snag is that there are some sites that don't allow the billing address to be different than the delivery address. I've thankfully only ever encountered one site that was like this.

Advertisement