Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Step 1 - New Case

Options
  • 11-05-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for looking, and thanks in advance for suggestions. I'm starting a new build over the next few months but the intention is to buy in stages as funds become available.

Current PC is an upgraded Dell XPS 720 - but its getting on 4 -5 years old and its time for an upgrade.

1. Budget?
    Overall I think the budget will be about €2500 - €3000 but this is to include monitors. I want at least 2, but 3 might be awesome.

2. Purpose
    Games. Mostly SC2 at the moment, but interests are wide and varied, basically, I would like to future proof it as much as is possible, and kick the arse out of what is available at the moment.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    No, I can get this through SoftwareForStudents

4. Any parts from an old computer?
    Most recent upgrades in the current machine are an OCZ Vertex2 SSD and a Radeon HD5800 - These could be moved over, but they don't have to come.

5. Monitor?
    Yes, would like 2 minimum, but 3 would be great.
    5a. If yes, what size?
    Currently running a Samsung Syncmaster 205BW 20" as my main monitor. And a Dell generic as my second.
    They have been great for the last few years but its time for new ones.
    5b. What resolution is your current monitor
    1680x1050 & 1280x1024

6. Peripherals?
    No

7. Overclocking?
    Would rather not

8. How can you pay?
    Credit/Laser/Paypal

9. When are you purchasing?
    In bits over the next few months

10. Need help building?
    No Thanks - but will post pics ;)

Anything Else?
    Yes, Id like to try and keep it as silent running as possible, and it needs to be lighter than the XPS. I dont get out to LAN's that often, but the XPS is a complete bitch to move around the place. Its way too heavy.

I want to start with the case and power supply and have budgeted about €150 - 200 for this - 200 being the absolute Max.
    I have been looking at these two FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Titanium Grey

NZXT Tempest 410 Midi-Tower - black, ATX, ohne Netzteil is also pretty sweet looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Unless you really need parts ASAP, I'd wait and buy it all at once. It works out much better value if you buy everything together.

If you want a LAN rig, I'd set aside all your current parts, and move them to a smaller case, buy whatever else you need to get it functional, and then use what's left for a new one. It's not going to be light, whatever way you do it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Serephucus wrote: »
    If you want a LAN rig, I'd set aside all your current parts, and move them to a smaller case, buy whatever else you need to get it functional, and then use what's left for a new one. It's not going to be light, whatever way you do it. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately the motherboard and case are BTX so there are very few cases suitable to transport all the gear over to.

Anything has to be lighter than this huge ass lump of an aluminium case I have right now. :P
    - Altho I have been googling, and there are a few people that have converted it to an ATX - but thats a side note, Its too heavy (back breakingly) and anything must be lighter.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Unless you really need parts ASAP, I'd wait and buy it all at once. It works out much better value if you buy everything together.

Its more about the budgeting than anything else -
    If I save up and buy it in one go the wife will go all WTF on my ass.
    She knows what I'm planning to spend, I just don't want her to see it all go at once - its more manageable in smaller chunks.

• Advertisement

Here's a silly 5 minute build.
    Thanks Skylinehead, This looks very tasty, few questions tho.

3 x Dell UltraSharp U2312HM|€547.74
    Wow much cheaper than I had expected! But is the 8MS response time not a bit high for gaming?

Intel Core i7-3770K Box, LGA1155|€307.44
    Should I hold out for 6 core?

Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€140.75

OK thats case&PSU budget blown, this thing just gave me droolfest. I think I have found my case. Thank you good sir.

Corsair Hydro Series H100 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€89.89
    I hadn't considered water cooling - but then again I have not looked at water cooling in about 4 years, and this does look yummy.
    Has anyone had any experience with this?

I'm using the same monitor for gaming. It's fantastic, best-in-class by far.

No point. That CPU will be extreme overkill for most games as it is.

The case also comes in black if you prefer. I'd also have a look at the 600T from Corsair. My current favourite at the moment.

It's a good cooler. There's also the NH-D14 from Noctua to consider if you want air. If you really want water, you could also look into a custom loop. It would cost about €4-450 to do everything (CPU and GPU(s)) properly, but it's worth it (IMO).

Edit: Sorry, actually using the 2412, but they're basically the same.

I'm going to order the Corsair 600T white.

HWVS including delivery is €160 - not in stock at the moment
    Komplett have it for €144 - 4 in stock

I remember a while back there were some problems with Komplett, have these been sorted out?
    Also, I have to add HWVS as an international PAYEE so thats adding a few days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    I'm going to order the Corsair 600T white.

HWVS including delivery is €160 - not in stock at the moment
    Komplett have it for €144 - 4 in stock

I remember a while back there were some problems with Komplett, have these been sorted out?
    Also, I have to add HWVS as an international PAYEE so thats adding a few days :(

Ordered 2312hm off komplett a month ago. No problem at all.

Thanks ShadowHearth
    Just ordered it on Komplett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭sk282

Ordered 2312hm off komplett a month ago. No problem at all.

Hi, I also asked this on another thread and emailed Komplett as well but didn't get any reply yet. Does it come with Dell's "3 year Next Business Day Exchange Service with Premium Panel Guarantee" when we buy it from Komplett?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

sk282 wrote: »
    Hi, I also asked this on another thread and emailed Komplett as well but didn't get any reply yet. Does it come with Dell's "3 year Next Business Day Exchange Service with Premium Panel Guarantee" when we buy it from Komplett?

You can ask them directly here on the board.ie,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=242

Advertisement