Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mum

Options
  • 11-05-2012 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,

I gave birth this afternoon at home to my first baby. It was very quick (almost 9 hours from when water broke to delivery). After everything I'm kinda like, is that it???. I loved the fact that I was at home with no drugs etc but I feel in the deep end. Everyone has gone home and it's just me, my husband and this tiny little person. Is this anxiety natural? My husband is a Doctor so I'm not worried about anything medical, just stupid things like when he isn't making noise is he ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Congratulations, we were there with you this morning.

I dont think they are stupid things, just normal new parent stuff :)

Myself and Mrs Mattjack were exactly the same , maybe you have a quiet baby.
    We used sit watching him in his crib after we brought him home, often into the early hours of the morning waiting for him to wake for his feed .

Now he's able to eat us out of house and home.

He's 13 this weekend and his able to wrestle me to the ground now.

You brought back lots of memories of the crazy stuff that happened to me the week he was born... and it didn't bring a tear to my eye

Enjoy the tiny baby stuff , it 'll be gone in the blink of an eye.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mauzouni

Congratulations! So exciting!

We were the same when we brought our son home back in December. We were checking on him constantly and couldn't keep our eyes of him. Enjoy every moment - it goes by too fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Congratulations hope the inlaws didnt annoy you.

Yeah we stayed up all hours watching him just sleep and he was forever in his dads arms :D

he is now 21mths old and I cant believe how big he is, I love his fascination with all the new things he discovers every day and I love getting my kisses every day

Enjoy it all xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Congrats Coal!

We are due our first in 7 weeks! Can't wait for it all. Just enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats! Everything you described is totally normal. You've just did the most physically demanding thing your body could ever do, and pain relief free too so you were using all your reserves. On top of recovering you have to adjust to being a mother and get to know your little baby. Take every minute as it comes. It's a wonderful, precious time which, as others have said, goes so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Wow, congrats for you & your new family!

The only tear I shed after either of my births was when we went to leave hosp w/ number 1 & I had this moment of panic thinking that some admin error had occurred becuase there's no way we're qualified to bring this tiny little thing out in the big bad world and someone should be running after us to bring her back.

But there was no error, it was just us & our baby.

A bit anti-climactic, in a way - you've spent so long building up the momentum for today, now you're holding your baby who is apparently content to rest (lucky you!). Enjoy the rest, hope it lasts and just let each moment happen as it will. You will relax into it, promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ayla wrote: »
    The only tear I shed after either of my births was when we went to leave hosp w/ number 1 & I had this moment of panic thinking that some admin error had occurred becuase there's no way we're qualified to bring this tiny little thing out in the big bad world and someone should be running after us to bring her back.

But there was no error, it was just us & our baby..
    Oh I remember that feeling alright. I remember crossing the road from the coombe and the feeling of blind panic rising up inside me. My husband was probably the sane as he drove home at around 20km/ph! The grannies were passing us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

Wow congrats!!! It's is a very weird feeling having your baby finally with you after months of preparing for them, soon it will feel like he was there!!

It's such a lovely time for you and your husband so enjoy all those precious moments. Don't worry about the anxiety it is completely natural and you''ll be so busy soon that you won't have time to be anxious!:) the baby was only born today so wait for the loads of washing baby gros, bibs, muslims etc!! :) congrats again OP!:) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Congrats :) I was the same when we got home from hospital. I was dying to get home from hospital and then I got home and was like ok what do we do now!! relax and enjoy your newborn soak in every little bit of them take lots of pictures they grow so fast my little guy is 15 weeks now and I wish I had taken more pictures of his tiny feet and hands :(
    Well done on your homebirth I wanted one but due to where I live I couldn't get a midwife hopefully for my next I will be able

Advertisement