Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New multimedia computer

Options
  • 11-05-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

This will my first time building my own machine so I'm not 100% sure about components and compatibilty. I'm a mature computing w/multimedia student finishing first year and have another 3yrs to go. Next year I'll be working alot on Photoshop and Premiere. I'll also be connecting a TV ariel for Saorview, would like dual channel for recording. As a computer student I'l be doing many other things like coding and MS Office, and internet. Also have movies/tv shows on hd drive that I'd watch regurlarly and blu ray. I want a decent machine that'll see me to the end of the course. Since the cpu is the most expensive, I'll like to get a decent one now and not have to upgrade so would be eyeballing the i7 3770 and a motherboard that doesn't need firmware upgrade for ivy bridge. Hope that's specific enough and not too demanding at same time icon10.gif Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

1. What is your budget?
    [€1000, including monitor]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Think I included everything above, I'm won't being using the machine for gaming]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No, will have W7 for it]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Giving my old machine to a family member. Keeping my Logitech 5.1 speakers so would like a decent sound card, or are they built into motherboards these days?]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [24"1080... Either Dell or Samsung]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Card reader, DVD RW/BluRay ROM]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Any

9. When are you purchasing? [Around June]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Will like the challenge of doing it on my own, just lacking knowledge of the proper parts]

Also, is it normal to buy all parts from one company or shop around random? I'm not too worried about SSD drive if budget is too tight, could wait a year and buy one cheaper and bigger.

Comments

Advertisement