Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P45 issued mistake

Options
  • 11-05-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I took work off for about two months to do some holidays and study. Accountant mistakenly issued me with a p45, it was a complete comedy of errors, no malice or anything sinister just poor communication. I went back to work recently with no problems to my regular post/ no changes or problems whatsoever. Then discovered a p45 has been issued for me. I really dont want to get anyone in trouble. Does this affect me, can it be cancelled?. How about if I was looking for a loan/ mortgage etc.. will this effect that, any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It was issued when you finished. Now you've started again, it's like recommencing your employment again. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

JustMary wrote: »
    It was issued when you finished. Now you've started again, it's like recommencing your employment again. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

But the problem is that it is a break in service which would affect eligibility for redundancy and the protection of the Unfair Dismissals legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

When I took a career break I was issued with a P45 but had signed something stating the terms of the career break; including the fact that it was not a break in service. Would it be worth asking for a letter from your employer stating the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

its no problem with regards to payroll, however like others said it is when it comes to the amount of service you have given to your employer and redundancy entitlements if they arise so I would certainly be talking to your manager about this and voicing your concerns

edellc wrote: »
    its no problem with regards to payroll, however like others said it is when it comes to the amount of service you have given to your employer and redundancy entitlements if they arise so I would certainly be talking to your manager about this and voicing your concerns

But that should be dealt with in the employment contract. TBH, I'm surprised if someone can take a two month break and keep all existing service. But maybe some employers allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I have worked in accounts/payroll and have done it before for people, if they take an unpaid break then no P45 is issued and when the payroll is run they are just put in for no hours, its not a big deal once you know the employee is returning

it is a big deal if one is issued when someone is taking a break and coming back if it effects their years of service and any redundancy entitlements if they where to arise

on a side note im surprised you are a mod for this forum if your not aware of such things

I have worked in accounts/payroll and have done it before for people, if they take an unpaid break then no P45 is issued and when the payroll is run they are just put in for no hours, its not a big deal once you know the employee is returning

it is a big deal if one is issued when someone is taking a break and coming back if it effects their years of service and any redundancy entitlements if they where to arise

Obviously, in the companies where you have worked so far, the policy is that service retained after a period of leave without pay. But not all companies operate that sort of policy - and I don't know of any legal requirement for them to.

Similarly, while some accounts/HR systems calculate redundancy entitlements using P45 dates, not all of them do. There are some jobs where multiple P45s are routinely issued.

on a side note im surprised you are a mod for this forum if your not aware of such things

Moderators are not required to be subject matter experts: the job is more about deleting spam, and making sure that posters' behaviour is civil. I'm not at all an expert in Irish IR laws - but I have been both a manager and a union delegate overseas, so bring a large dose of pragmatism and a wider perspective.

If you have a concern about that, express concern to the category-mods - not on thread.

Advertisement