Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need advice... bike or quad?

• 11-05-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

i'm farming rented land and driving a jeep. the land is scattered and i burn a lot of diesel just checking stock in summer and feeding in winter. there are sheds in most of the places i call to so if i didn't have the jeep i could leave any feedstuff i needed on site.
    we've never had either a quad or bike so my knowledge is limited but whatever i drive has to be legal on the road, there are days that i could travel up to 40 miles.
    any experienced advisors?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

what you currently driving?
    how many different sites what is the distance between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

A quad will be no cheaper to run than a jeep in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

currently 3 litre hilux

1 mile, some of it bad road to 2 neighbouring farms without roads through them, 2 miles farther to another, 3 miles to another with a lot of off-roading, 4 miles to next stop with off-roading again, 4 miles to another, 2 miles to another and about 6 back home. ould fella will cover some of that during the summer.
    some of this twice a day for young calves or watching for cows bulling, you know yourself, all adds up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Get rid of the jeep buy a small van Berlingo/Fiat Doblo/Kangoo or small carvan these do 50-60 mpg.

Sorry I see abot the off road a trail bike but they are heavy enough as well

i should've been clearer.... getting rid of jeep is not an option
    the trial bike was suggested by a friend, i just presumed it would be light on fuel.... surely it wouldn't compare to jeep?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

i would expext to be putting petrol into anything that expensive!!!!!! you use one yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Bizzum wrote: »

Would he qualify for the cycle to work scheme??

A

i'd be looking for an early retirement scheme instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

i would expext to be putting petrol into anything that expensive!!!!!! you use one yourself?

I have a Lapierre mountain bike alright.............Dont use it on the farm though;)

Askim wrote: »
    Would he qualify for the cycle to work scheme??

A

Great scheme for anyone that qualifies. A €1000 bike will stand you €520 and will come out of your wages a tenner a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

i should've been clearer.... getting rid of jeep is not an option
    the trial bike was suggested by a friend, i just presumed it would be light on fuel.... surely it wouldn't compare to jeep?

Why is not getting rid of the jeep an option cannot be seen at the mart without it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Why is not getting rid of the jeep an option cannot be seen at the mart without it?
    Maybe he needs it for work, Or as a family car?

hit the nail on the head pajero, crew cab hilux -no car.
    decent reliable jeep is a necessity for work, i'm just thinking a bike or quad would add a few years to the life of my jeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

A little diahatsu charade diesel would be the job OR a diesel car from pre 1980 like an old merc, cheap insurance, 52 euro tax and no NCT required.
    Dirt bikes are a pain in the arse, you can only carry what fits in your pockets and you're always out in the rain.
    and you get full tax allowance on your jeep if you own a car

Advertisement