Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subjects Books

• 11-05-2012 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Business
    Home Ec
    Geography
    Economics 
    Ag Science
    English

Hi guys,

What books are ye using or rec for these subjects? All honours. Repeating come Sept and will need to get prepared. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

shinesun wrote: »
    Business
    Home Ec
    Geography
    Economics 
    Ag Science
    English

Hi guys,

What books are ye using or rec for these subjects? All honours. Repeating come Sept and will need to get prepared. Thanks:)

I don't do most of these but I can tell you the books they use in my school :)

Business : Business Express
    Home Ec: Lifelines
    Geography: Horizons (there's a core book and ones for elective/choice...it's printed by Folens anyway so you can check out the details there)
    Economics: Understanding Economics
    Ag Science: we don't do it, but there's only one book for it and it's Breaking Ground.
    English: Poetry - Poetry Now; Macbeth - Edco edition; Paper One - Language in Focus.

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Thanks a mil for that. What ye use for Irish? I'm half thinking of doing it again instead of economics! Got an honour with it last time so might be worth a shot if it's still 40% for oral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

In my school they use:

Business - 21st Century Business
    Home Ec - Lifelines
    Geography - ECO
    Economics - Understanding Economics
    Ag Science - Breaking Ground (EDCO) or Agriculture Science (Folens)
    English - Endeavour & Poetry Now
    Irish - Fiuntas & Líofa (Oral)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

shinesun wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for that. What ye use for Irish? I'm half thinking of doing it again instead of economics! Got an honour with it last time so might be worth a shot if it's still 40% for oral?

We use both Fiuntas and An dTuigeann Tú. An dTuigeann Tú is a brilliant book and it covers the whole course (including pros and poetry). It'd be far more suited to self-study than Fiuntas, which IMHO is completely insufficient for the oral!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

In geography we use Today's World 1 & 2, but my teacher photocopies loadssss for us from a new book, its either called Planet & People or Patterns and Processes in <whichever section you're studying> - its more likely that theyre both in the same series. Absolutely excellent books, 30/30 on any answers I've done using the notes and Sue Honan wrote them I'm pretty sure, and we all know that if Sue Honan wrote it then you cant go wrong. :D

Our English poetry book was New Discovery and its quite good. :) The comparatives we've done are excellent though - I dont know if theyre definitely on the course next year but I know my teacher is doing at least one with his 5th years. They're purple hibiscus, constant gardener and kite runner, really great books and so so comparable if you're interested :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I actually despise 21st Century Business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Thanks guys. What ye think of the subjects?
    I did not do Ag Science before but say should be ok.
    Would I be better off doing say Chemistry instead of English as I understand I don't have to do English, Irish as already done them.

I never did Chemistry before but Im wondering would it be an easier subject to pick up marks in than English? Thanks:)

Advertisement