Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports science in ul,, is it for me??

• 11-05-2012 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey, I have a huge intrest in sports, and this course really stands out as i think i would like a career in this area in the future,, however ive heard there is both physics and chemistry being studied in this course,, i hated both when doing my junior cert and didnt take any of them on in to fifth year,, do they play amajor part in this course and is it difficult? Nd if there is anyone here doing the sports science course i would appreciate yere opinions of it...:)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

If you don't have interest in science then don't bother. Its science with a bit of sport. Not the other way around.

These are the first year modules:

Coaching Science & Performance 1 SS4402 Exercise & Health Fitness SS4302 Anatomy and Kinesiology SS4304 Introduction to Basic Biomechanics SS4202 Introduction to the Major Physiological Systems
    SS4102 Psychological Foundations of Sport and Exercise
    MA4601 Science Maths 1
    CS4911 Introduction to Information Technology
    PH4101 Physics 1 (Mechanics)
    BC4002 Introductory Biochemistry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 smiley500

forgot to mention i do biology and its my favourite subject in school,, is there many elements of biology in this course? or is it more based around physics

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

smiley500 wrote: »
    forgot to mention i do biology and its my favourite subject in school,, is there many elements of biology in this course? or is it more based around physics

I don't do it but my best mate and many good friends do it and say its very science intensive. Someone will hopefully come in here that does the course and give you a more detailed response.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

smiley500 wrote: »

Maybe Physiotherapy would be more up your thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 smiley500

Did work experience in physio and i found it to be alot of routine work,, which isn't really for me.. Anyone else with info on this course,, would greatley appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

If you struggled with junior cert chemistry and physics you will find the biochemistry and mechanics modules extremely taxing. In fact I find it absurd someone who couldn't cope with junior cert science would even contemplate doing a science degree at third level.

There is a lot of Biology in the course.

If you found physio work very routine I honestly don't know what to say to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

My best friend is doing this course he's currently On co-op..it is very science intensive from what he speaks to me about a lot of maths/physics and biology and chemistry would not say its for the faint hearted who don't like science at LC level .and you will more than likely need a masters to get a job (same with any job these days really) however as with every course there will be tough and easy parts if you put in enough effort you will get the rewards to be honest if you want it enough it just means you'll have to work hard same as the majority of people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

It's very very very science and maths based, tough

There is not a big job sector when qualified unless you are willing to leave Ireland, 80% of people that finished the course in the two years I know are either back doing a more science based Masters degree, further study in the UK or travelling, one got lucky with a dream job ibn Australia.

More are doing plain gym work in leisre centres or gyms and some set up their own PT type business.

Re. The physio - it's not always routine, you did work experience and shadowed for a little bit, you did not do work of a physio, in saying that, job prospects post physio are low too unless you love jumping straight into a clinical setting

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DervlaK

Hey,
    I have just completed my 2nd yr of Sports and exercise Science in UL and tbh i love it.
    I dont mean to be rude, but people who say it is all science based are the wasters on the course who dont realise that science is a broad term.

Modules covered are biomechanics- where you learn how to analysis movements in sport to enhance performance, physiology- muscles, cardio, respiratory which is how u relate and improve these elements in relation to exercise and fitness through theory and exercise labs. Coaching and performance- learn how to coach athletics, aerobics, weights training, resistance training, rugby/soccer/hurling/gaa etc.., Sports psychology modules to understand how important it is to have your mind set towards your goals and also how children develop skills throughout their childhood. You will also learn how to design exercise programs for different clients. Sports injury and anatomy where you learn the different muscles/bones/ligaments of the body and how to protect them from injury and how to tape them up when injury occurs, also you will learn recovery/rehab exercises to aid recovery.
    You do have to do one module of Physics ( Sem 1, yr 1) and 2 modules on Maths, and trust me i dont like either of them and thought they were pointless at the start, but if you work hard and go through pass papers you will pass them without a doubt. Maths is beneficial to biomechanics in some forms or other.
    I could tell you more but those who say negative things are really those who dont even turn up to class, put in the effort and are just there for the college experience. There is so many opportunities from this course, those who say there arent obviously are clueless to opening their minds.

If you have any more questions, I can mail you when you reply :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Hey OP,

I graduated from Sports Sci a few years ago, I have gone off on a completely different career route from what I studied but it is a great course.
    DervlaK is spot on in her description of what is involved. Yes, there is a lot of physics and maths but these become very useful later on for applied biomechanical analysis when you are assessing things like gait analysis etc and would be beneficial in the industry to you. However, I must add that in 3rd and 4th year things get a lot more science intensive particularly in the biomechanics and physiology side of things but they are are relevant if you are serious about developing a career in the sports industry, be it coaching, testing athletes or working in a gym. Also the lecturers are top notch and really know their stuff, some have worked with serious athletes (not going to drop any names)

In addition there are great COOP opportunities for Sport Science students and A few lads from my course were based in OZ working with Aussie rules teams, 1 or 2 in the UK with football teams, others working with the GAA in development at Grass roots levels, and some who got experience in the research side of things. Basically everyone was catered for, even though they are a pain to get. I must mention as far as I remember the placements in OZ might not have had a salary but this was a few years ago. I myself got placement coaching GAA in schools and underage clubs and I loved it, but these jobs are hard to get after unless you have a bit of pull. Bear in mind as well that this is an industry where it is very important to make contacts!!!

As with most courses the job prospects are tough. I worked for a while in leisure centres as a gym instructor and I hated it and have since gone on to do a Masters in a different field of science. You more than likely will have to do some further study but that all depends on where your interests lie.

Many from my year have gone on to do Physiotherapy, occupational therapy, working as development officers for various sporting bodies,academic research, set up personal training companies, working as S & C coaches in various sports and are building a good reputation for themselves.

Basically it all depends on what you want to do after with your degree, of course you may change your mind about what you want to do as I did, but if you really feel that you see your future in the sports industry, you couldn't do a better degree

• Advertisement
Advertisement