Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should a person's weight be factored into air fares?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

This is fair in places where there are weight restrictions on luggage IMO.

I weigh 75kg and am allowed 20kg. I get fined if my luggage weighs 22kg. The person beside me has luggage of 20kg but weighs 100kg. they don't get any fine even tho they bring more weight onto the flight. How exactly is that fair?

Because it's a person, not luggage.

The points people are making here are logical, but sometimes what's logical isn't what's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

hungrypig wrote: »
    for those who are so protective of their personal space would you object to sitting beside a pregnant woman or an overweight person with a disability..............

Pregnant women don't spill out into other seats though.

And no, I wouldn't have a problem sitting next to someone whose obesity was outside their control, as long as they weren't taking up my space. If it's some fat bastard who spends much too much time chowing down on takeaways and is taking up my seat space then yes I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Ryanair ALWAYS works out way cheaper.

No, not always

Ryanair can be beaten

And even then you have to look at where you are flying to

Glasgow-Prestwick is like flying to Dublin and landing in Arklow :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

A lot of hysteria by obvious fatties in the thread. Likening the suggestion to discriminating against Black people. Black people didn't choose which race to be born into, you did however choose to ignore medical advice and stuff your face more than you're meant to every day.

A 75Kg person with a 22kg bag, with a baggage allowance of 20kg, being charged extra for being "over weight", while a 110kg person with a 20kg bag goes through with no extra charge is ludicrous. It was the person's choice to put extra stuff in their bag, just like it was the heavier person's choice to put extra food in their mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

'Tis a wonder how many of the people here manage to get to their destinations safely at all, what with all these inconsiderate fatties squashing the life out of them on the way.

Must say I've sat beside fat people before on flights and it's never put me out at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Stinicker wrote: »
    Aer Lingus are often cheaper both on the direct journey cost and on the total trip cost as you get more sociable flight times to centrally located airports allowing you to save transportation costs. Also Aer Lingus gives you 20Kgs compared to Ryanair's differing price structures. As a rule unless totally unavoidable I will always fly with a different Airline to Ryanair and other low cost carriers.

I always check full travel costs for both Ryanair and Aer Lingus (including getting and from airports) and in every case, Ryanair worked out way cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

And no, I wouldn't have a problem sitting next to someone whose obesity was outside their control, as long as they weren't taking up my space. If it's some fat bastard who spends much too much time chowing down on takeaways and is taking up my seat space then yes I would.

god it would be my worst nightmare to be seated beside an ignorant pig like you regardless of your size

god it would be my worst nightmare to be seated beside an ignorant pig like you regardless of your size

Attack the post, not the poster.

Why should someone else take up part of the seat I have paid for? If they don't then I have no problem.

And I'm a size 6-8, weighing about 50 kilograms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

for those who are so protective of their personal space would you object to sitting beside a pregnant woman or an overweight person with a disability..............

Is she grossly overweight and pregnant? then yes, same way I would anyone who was spilling over into my seat. If not, no, why would I?

An overweight person with a disability...no of course I wouldn't object as I'm not a heartless person, even if they were spilling over. I mightn't like it but I'd put up with it..unless they were being a jerk about it and sprawled out as if I wasn't there! The weight could be as a result of their disability so it would be unfair to impose a 'fat tax', unless they were so fat they couldn't fit into the seat-then they'd have to buy two seats anyway, but perhaps at a discount rate.

And there's nothing wrong with being protective of personal space, we all do it to some degree and feel threatened or violated, or at the very least uncomfortable if that space is rudely invaded.
    That's why you usually only see people sitting next to each other on a bus or train if all the window seats are gone. We all value our own space, it only differs to what degree.

• This has always bugged me. If I'm half the weight of another passenger, why shouldn't I then get twice the luggage allowance? I'm sick of paying a fortune for an extra 3/4 kilo in my suitcase and then ending up next to someone who weighs twice as much as me and is spilling into my seat.

I know it's not practical but it would be fair to weigh passengers and their luggage together. There could be set weights over which you have to pay extra. Heavier people have to bring less luggage, lighter people get more.

• Advertisement

'Tis a wonder how many of the people here manage to get to their destinations safely at all, what with all these inconsiderate fatties squashing the life out of them on the way.

Must say I've sat beside fat people before on flights and it's never put me out at all.

Why, because you're a fatty too so therefore can't complain? KIDDING! :D
    Good for you. That's why we're all different, innit? ;)

And I don't think it's too much to expect my already limited space and comfort on an air plane not to be further eroded by someone who's encroaching onto it with their bulk. Should I feel sorry or make allowances for otherwise healthy able-bodied people who make the conscious decision to overeat on a regular basis and balloon up to enormous weights? I don't think so. I've as much right to my space as anyone, and just because I'm thin doesn't mean I should just shut up and put up.

I don't buy into this 'fat acceptance' nonsense they have in the U.S.(naturally) either. What good does that do for them to be told they're fine chuffing endless burgers and monster helpings down and take little exercise until they pork up and develop all sorts of weight related problems? none.

You don't see any irony calling someone a pig with your user name, no? :pac:

kkk ( very apt abreviation of ur user name ;))- by calling some a bastard for being fat and assuming that it was due to too much time chomping down takeaways is a hideous cliché and generalisation.

you say you are a size 6/8, well other people could engage in this sort of generalised ignorant talk...........ur under nourished,skeletal bitch, bag-o-bones,annorexic, obsessed with your own appearance.............totally clichéd comments about skinny people but equally as ignorant as your comments

Greentopia wrote: »
    You don't see any irony calling someone a pig with your user name, no? :pac:

yes i do have a sense of humour

This has always bugged me. If I'm half the weight of another passenger, why shouldn't I then get twice the luggage allowance? I'm sick of paying a fortune for an extra 3/4 kilo in my suitcase and then ending up next to someone who weighs twice as much as me and is spilling into my seat.

I know it's not practical but it would be fair to weigh passengers and their luggage together. There could be set weights over which you have to pay extra. Heavier people have to bring less luggage, lighter people get more.

izzy wizzy, are you seriously suggesting that a 6ft 4" man with a big frame should be weighed and priced compared to a 5ft 5" woman. its a daft and unworkable suggestion.

kkk ( very apt abreviation of ur user name ;))- by calling some a bastard for being fat and assuming that it was due to too much time chomping down takeaways is a hideous cliché and generalisation.

To clarify - if someone is obese through no fault of their own I don't mind sitting next to them. If I'm undisturbed in my seat I don't mind sitting next to anyone. I'd say the same if I was next to someone who kept talking to me if I wanted to be left alone, or someone with bad BO. If someone is taking up some of my seat then yes I am annoyed, that's all.

I don't believe in pandering to people.
    you say you are a size 6/8, well other people could engage in this sort of generalised ignorant talk...........ur under nourished,skeletal bitch, bag-o-bones,annorexic, obsessed with your own appearance.............totally clichéd comments about skinny people but equally as ignorant as your comments

Hehe, big talk from a keyboard warrior I see. From this I take it you think only skinny people can be interested in their looks?

no just pointing out that calling someone a bastard simply for being fat is ignorant and clichéd and similarly the comments that are made about skinny people should be seen in the same light.

i take everyone as they come and certainly wouldn't call anyone a bastard based on their appearance, its not pandering, its common courtesy.......i'm a bit odd like that but each to their own

This has always bugged me. If I'm half the weight of another passenger, why shouldn't I then get twice the luggage allowance? I'm sick of paying a fortune for an extra 3/4 kilo in my suitcase and then ending up next to someone who weighs twice as much as me and is spilling into my seat.

As a skinny chick I fully agree :D it's not gonna happen though-get extra luggage allowance. There'd be uproar from the overweight majority.

Yes, have a weighing scales on a plinth at the check-in desk that people have to hop onto first without their bags that spells out their weight on an electronic reader visible for miles in front of the whole queue. Then they get their measurements taken and read out. That'd soon incentivise weight loss among the Irish travelling public. :D

I'm kidding of course. I have nothing against fat people...as long as they have anything against me...ba dum tish! :pac: no seriously, I don't actually.

yes i do have a sense of humour

Glad to hear it, though can't see it in evidence here...

• Advertisement

no just pointing out that calling someone a bastard simply for being fat is ignorant and clichéd and similarly the comments that are made about skinny people should be seen in the same light.

i take everyone as they come and certainly wouldn't call anyone a bastard based on their appearance, its not pandering, its common courtesy.......i'm a bit odd like that but each to their own

I don't have anything against fat people, if that is what they want to do to their own bodies that's their business. Free will and all that.

But I'm not going to sugarcoat my views on how bad it is for them.

Why should I or anyone else be inconvienced on a flight by someone taking over part of my seat? That's what I want to know. Common courtesy works both ways.

Greentopia wrote: »
    Glad to hear it, though can't see it in evidence here...

apollogies greentopia, if i get a chance i'll post some footage of me tap dancing in a clowns outfit or post up a few of my favourite gags:D

apollogies greentopia, if i get a chance i'll post some footage of me tap dancing in a clowns outfit or post up a few of my favourite gags:D

http://roflphoto.com/images/funnypictures/Bill_Lumbergh.jpg
    Would you? that'd be greeaaat ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Ah, tolerance for one's fellow man, good to see it's alive and well on boards :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Most people who are obese ARE so because of eating too many calories and not exercising. I know there can be emotional factors and I don't like bullying of overweight people, but I've no patience either for victimhood or seeing discrimination where there isn't any, or an unwillingness to accept obesity is mostly self inflicted and reversible.

I'm not sure I see a problem with the question being posed - there are all sorts of discriminatory policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They clarified - obesity due to disability etc is one thing; due to just pigging out and being lazy (it does exist) quite another.

KamikazeKitten would be KK actually. You're very liberal with the personal insults. Very overweight is not healthy - accept it.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    KamikazeKitten would be KK actually.

Aye, well it is when you type it properly when you're making an account. :o

The insults don't bother me, delicate flowers have no place in AH!

But yes, if you're obese through no fault of your own I have no problem of course, I'm not that heartless. But a lot of obesity is self inflicted, and it's not something we should be promoting as a norm in our culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Why not just sit the fat people next to each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It doesn't really make sense to say overweight people should be charged more because you get charged more for excess baggage. There are good statistics out there which allow airlines to predict the total weight of passengers to a high degree of accuracy. That doesn't work out with luggage. If you removed the excess baggage charge because you don't charge for being overweight, people would bring everything but the kitchen sink when they go on holidays.

Because you can know in advance the total passenger weight you can adjust the ticket price accordingly. You can't do that with baggage, so you have to set a maximum allowable amount and charge extra for going over that, with the maximum being a factor of space, handling, fuel and other costs, and the excess charge being a factor of these, plus whatever amount extra is needed to discourage most people from going over. Because the two systems are different you can't compare like for like.

Discrimination aside, maybe you could work out something where you set a maximum based on the total mass of passenger + luggage, but I imagine the logistics of weighing people or getting them to provide the information in advance would prohibit this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

mackg wrote: »
    Why not just sit the fat people next to each other?

All that weight on one side of the plane?? God help us all :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If I have to pay for my extra baggage, then so should they.

• Advertisement
Advertisement