Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to put aglets back on boot laces

Options
  • 11-05-2012 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi anyone know a way to put new aglets (the plastic bit on the end!) on boot laces?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Finnt wrote: »
    Hi anyone know a way to put new aglets (the plastic bit on the end!) on boot laces?
    Thanks

If you have access to shrink tubing and a heat gun, then that's the best way, I think. Otherwise, cut off any frayed lace and smooth on some superglue onto the last centimeter or so, while wearing disposable gloves. That's a pain in the arse to do, but it works fairly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Donny5 wrote: »
    Finnt wrote: »
    Thanks

If you have access to shrink tubing and a heat gun, then that's the best way, I think. Otherwise, cut off any frayed lace and smooth on some superglue onto the last centimeter or so, while wearing disposable gloves. That's a pain in the arse to do, but it works fairly well.

I've use shrink tubing before but I've never found it to last for long will try the superglue tho thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try whipping the end tightly with linen thread, then some shrink tubing or polybond over that.

Of course, if the laces are synthetic, you could trim the frayed material then flash seal with a cigarette lighter or over a gas ring. If doing this, you can achieve a narrowing/pointed effect by twisting the end after removing from the heat source and allowing to cool very slightly. Don't inhale the fumes...

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement