Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time of the year to visit Australia?

Options
  • 11-05-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Hoping to head over to Australia for a few weeks towards the end of this year on holiday. Will probably be going on my own so I'm planning to book with a tour group. The one I'm looking at starts in Darwin, then down to Ayers Rock and from there on towards Cairns, and travels down the coast, ending up in Sydney.

Which month of the year do you think would be best to book this for? I was thinking November-ish but I'm afraid that Darwin/Ayers rock would be unbearably hot/humid at this time of the year, but if I go earlier e.g. September, it would still be quite cool when travelling down towards Sydney.

Any one any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Hi all,
    Hoping to head over to Australia for a few weeks towards the end of this year on holiday. Will probably be going on my own so I'm planning to book with a tour group. The one I'm looking at starts in Darwin, then down to Ayers Rock and from there on towards Cairns, and travels down the coast, ending up in Sydney.

Which month of the year do you think would be best to book this for? I was thinking November-ish but I'm afraid that Darwin/Ayers rock would be unbearably hot/humid at this time of the year, but if I go earlier e.g. September, it would still be quite cool when travelling down towards Sydney.

Any one any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

Nov/Dec is a terrible time to go. It will be unbearably hot in the Red Centre, and the flies will be out in full force. I went in July and it was hot. Doesn't bear thinking what it would be like in Summer. Also Nov/Dec is right in the thick of wet season in Darwin/Kakadu and Cairns.

Australia is a massive continent. You wont get weather than suits you in every part of the country at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Hi all,

Any one any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    November to March is cyclone season in Northern Territory and North Queensland, it's very hot and humid. April to September is cooler, dryer and sunnier. January / February is also summer / school holidays and Australia and tourist areas can be very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Thanks a million for the replies, looks like November isn't the time to go, or if I do go then, I need to to rethink my travel plans.
    04072511 wrote: »
    Australia is a massive continent. You wont get weather than suits you in every part of the country at once.

I'll admit, I always thought Australia was the exact opposite to Ireland and November would be early summer throughout Australia. It was only when I started reading websites and travel books over the last few days that I discovered there was such variation in the weather throughout the country (quite stupid when I think about it now, considering the size of Australia).

What do ye think of September as a compromise between the different areas? (I need to travel outside of Irish peak times (i.e. not July/August or December) as I probably wouldn't be able to get the time off work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Thanks a million for the replies, looks like November isn't the time to go, or if I do go then, I need to to rethink my travel plans.

I'll admit, I always thought Australia was the exact opposite to Ireland and November would be early summer throughout Australia. It was only when I started reading websites and travel books over the last few days that I discovered there was such variation in the weather throughout the country (quite stupid when I think about it now, considering the size of Australia).

What do ye think of September as a compromise between the different areas? (I need to travel outside of Irish peak times (i.e. not July/August or December) as I probably wouldn't be able to get the time off work)

September would be ok yeh. Would still be in dry Season up North and the weather wouldn't be too unbearable in the Red Centre. Dont expect it to be too warm down South though. But you can't have it every way.

Advertisement