Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to protect my rhubarb!

Options
  • 11-05-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

My poor rhubarb is being eaten alive, or at least the leaves are.
    I tried moving it from the sunny side of the garden where theres loads of ants to the more cooler shady side but to no avail.

I put down some slug pellets today (the blue things in the pic below), but am not sure its the slugs.

Its a small garden so was wondering if there is a small companion plant i could grow to dissuade whatever is eating it.

All help and advice appreciated :)

204522.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Mine are worse belive it or not. It's slugs. I try not to use blue pellets but threw a few down to knock them back. There's all sorts of ways to combat them, from citrus peel slug hotels, beer traps, coffee grounds. You can leave wood or wet newspaper lying around and they will hide under it during the day and then you can collect them. I think the best way if you can do it is go out on a damp night with a torch and a scissors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Slugs all right - pellets would be better if put right at the stems of the plant. I wouldn't even use them though, rhubarb always looks like that and it's not like you're going to eat the leaves... just pick off slugs whenever you see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

try ringing your rhubarb with a strip of copper. slugs absolutely hate it. get a strip around 6 inches high and turn bend the top two inches back out away from the plant and this also stops the slugs that can hack the copper from climbing over it the angle should be past the 90 degrees.

http://www.gapphotos.com/imagedetails.asp?imageno=300342

hope this helps

Advertisement