Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Through A Bad Patch

Options
  • 11-05-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

At the minute, I'm probably going through my worst spell of playing Madden since I started playing the game on release date last year. I can't seem to buy a win at all.

My offense seems to be OK and anything that goes against me on offense is generally my fault because I've tried to move away from running the ball as much and still have to get used to the WR's routes, throwing the ball too early/late etc. However, my running game for the most part has now gone absolutely atrocious.

On defense I might as well just put the controller down and let the opposition score TD's :pac: No matter what happens I can only seem to get a couple of 3 and outs during the game and the opposition is generally able to make 3rd downs with little problem. The last few weeks have seen my opponents able to stroll the whole way down the field being barely troubled by my D. This is happening on both my online franchise and friendly games with other teams so it's obviously a problem with me more so than the players I have. I'm still using the same defensive playbook that I've had a bit of success with too.

Any tips for getting over the slump? I think I might be better off taking a bit of a break from playing friendly games etc and just concentrating on the BPL and online franchise for a while. Could be the cause of playing too much more than anything? Comments from those I've played over the last few weeks would be really appreciated too.

Very strange and frustrating. A few weeks ago my D was decent and my pass offense was fairly shocking. Now it's my pass offense that's decent and my D that's shocking.

Hopefully my luck turns soon because my controller is coming ever closer to meeting my wall :pac: It will resemble this soon:

176533134_e611ef3ea7.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Everyone has a purple patch, you'll find if you take a few days away you'll come back and play better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's always the QB's fault

Cut Peyton Manning and send me a pm the second you do it

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

When i was playing you with the Chargers you played Man a lot! i would motion guys to check and nearly all of the time it was man. So i would call drag routes and put my speedy receiver's vs your slower linebacker and get the 1st down or extra yardage needed.
    I've had that problem too, but i'm trying to mix it up with zone blitz, man, cover and just full out blitz.

Being unpredictable on D is just as important as being unpredictable on O.
    So putting linebackers on the line when they are actually in zone and placing safeties closer to the line when the are cover the backfield can help you trick the O into doing what you want them to do.

It truly is a thinking man's game and all about outsmarting your opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Shane.C wrote: »
    When i was playing you with the Chargers you played Man a lot! i would motion guys to check and nearly all of the time it was man. So i would call drag routes and put my speedy receiver's vs your slower linebacker and get the 1st down or extra yardage needed.
    I've had that problem too, but i'm trying to mix it up with zone blitz, man, cover and just full out blitz.

Being unpredictable on D is just as important as being unpredictable on O.
    So putting linebackers on the line when they are actually in zone and placing safeties closer to the line when the are cover the backfield can help you trick the O into doing what you want them to do.

It truly is a thinking man's game and all about outsmarting your opponent.

Much appreciated mate, thanks.

One thing I really need to start doing is getting to grips with motioning so I'll have to hit the practice field. Also I'll start mixing my D up a bit. One of the things I don't do very often is blitz so I'll have to include some more of that.

Agree with you on the thinking mans game. Seems to be like a game of chess at times and the being very tactical is one of the reasons why the game is so good. The winner is generally always the one who makes the least mistakes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Paully D wrote: »
    The winner is generally always the one who makes the least mistakes.

Couldnt agree more with this.

Also if you do make a mistake and fall behind, it's important to stick to your game plan. Too often you feel pressed into making a stupid throw and get picked off or sacked when you should play the percentages and punt if need be.
    If the other player has to go 80 yards to score statistically you have a better chance to stop him than if you give him the ball on your 40 yard line!

A good example of this was my game with mike, i fell 10 behind pretty early on and normally i'd start airing it out and he would have hammered me, but i stuck with the running game and won.

I wont lie, it's very very hard to do this, it's human nature to want to get back into the game asap.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    The winner is generally always the one who makes the least mistakes.

This needs to be stickied somewhere
    Well not stickied but you've just summed up the game

Many a game has been lost by a coach who lost self discipline

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Allyson Wrong Bagpipes

can we please stop giving the cowboys advice i have to play them next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

In fairness when we played yesterday you could have won if it wasn't for the final pick. I recently went through a rough patch but I just didn't play as often. Now I seem to be doing ok, still not great though. You'll get over the hump, just bad form is all it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I hear you. Im owner of that patch you're standing in you know.

Wear the gold, I thought that put the Rams in a hot streak

• Advertisement
Advertisement