Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local authority pipe on private land.

• 11-05-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please point me to the relevant law or judgements regarding local authority service pipes crossing private land?

In particular, my query relates to whether a local authority pipe crossing through private land can gain any rights over the land by being there for a period of time. If so, what rights and after what period of time?

I'm not sure that 'squatters rights' is the correct term, but is there an equivalent of squatters rights for a service pipe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Not entirely relevant but worth a read:

Sedleigh-Denfield v O'Callaghan [1940] UKHL 2

Basically if it's on your land and goes wrong; causing damage to anothers land, you could be found liable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

loremolis wrote: »
    Can anyone please point me to the relevant law or judgements regarding local authority service pipes crossing private land?

In particular, my query relates to whether a local authority pipe crossing through private land can gain any rights over the land by being there for a period of time. If so, what rights and after what period of time?

I'm not sure that 'squatters rights' is the correct term, but is there an equivalent of squatters rights for a service pipe?

A pipe cannot acquire rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

The local authority should have a wayleave for a pipe crossing private land, if they don't, it's possible they could acquire such a wayleave by prescription after 12 years. This can occur in a manner similar to adverse possession but will not result in a change in title, merely the acquisition of a right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Local authorities also have statutory rights to lay and maintain pipes under private land under the Water Services Act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Sounds like an easement to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Maybe this is a question more suited to the construction and planning forum.

Is it possible to have it moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FridayBravo

Predalien wrote: »
    The local authority should have a wayleave for a pipe crossing private land, if they don't, it's possible they could acquire such a wayleave by prescription after 12 years. This can occur in a manner similar to adverse possession but will not result in a change in title, merely the acquisition of a right.

Local Authorities almost never have wayleaves on sewers or watermains on private lands. The only times I've seen a wayleave is if a diversion is carried out. LA's basically act as if there was a wayleave. There are a number of powers in the Water Services Act which prohibit interference with a watermain or sewer. I have seen developers been put to great expense to comply, so I am assuming thes have been tested in court.

Local Authorities almost never have wayleaves on sewers or watermains on private lands. The only times I've seen a wayleave is if a diversion is carried out. LA's basically act as if there was a wayleave. There are a number of powers in the Water Services Act which prohibit interference with a watermain or sewer. I have seen developers been put to great expense to comply, so I am assuming thes have been tested in court.

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

How can a Local Authority/Sanitary Authority require a landowner to alter a pipe when they (LA) don't hold a wayleave or easement that gives them any defined rights to retain the pipe in the first place?

If the LA/SA have powers of compulsory powers to acquire a wayleave or easement and chose not to use them, then what rights do they have if a pipe is passing through private land and the landowner objects.

This is the most relevant thing I could find on the subject, but what I'm really looking for are any court cases that considered the matter.

http://water.lasntg.ie/circulars/2003%20L15%20(WSP)%20-%20Consent%20to%20Run%20Pipes%20Through%20Private%20LAnd.doc

Predalien wrote: »

Does a statutory body with powers of compulsory acquisition acquire rights by prescription?

If they calim that they do, wouldn't they have to go to court to have those rights confirmed/approved?

Advertisement