Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Online Space Strategy Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If you click on the technology tab it'll show you the prerequisites for stuff. It doesn't really explain anything but it's a start. I'm holding out for a wiki with some more indepth info soon otherwise I'm going to lose patience with it.

Things in particular:

Space exploration and colonisation
    Battle mechanics.
    More indepth explanation of what things do.

There's a lot to this game and I get the feeling that the devs know everything about it really well (obviously)but forget that someone new to the game isn't going to have a clue.

Take for example today I asked about fuel costs for a ship. One of my ships says fuel cost 20 deut and it was explained that means 10 there and 10 back which doesn't make any sense. 10 units regardless of distance? Do I have to carry the deut in my cargo, can I not stay at a planet? Do I always have to return to home planet? And that's just one question relating to movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thought the technology page was rendering a bit slowly. It looks like all those thumbnails are actually 200x200 even though they're only being displayed as 25x25. You'd save a lot of bandwidth by compressing and scaling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ED E wrote: »
    Zillah you need 2 robot factories for a shipyard, which takes a fair bit of deuterium. Then you need a research centre to do energy tech and combustion engines. Then you can start launching fighters, which cost a fair whack(5k M and 2K C). For now focus on getting 4 good mines going and power for them. Then when you wake up tomorrow you'll actually have some funds to work with. Oh yeah, and pray none of the people above me find you before then.

Oh dear. I built a Norium mine without realising how expensive it was. So it's one of those slow burner sort of games. Not sure I have the patience to be honest. Well, in relation to people killing each other, if this game is likely to last we should probably make a boards.ie alliance; based on the look of the game it'll be a lot like cybernations but in space, and there it is all about politics (and from how it seems the game works, joining an alliance is the only way a new player can survive).

Technical feedback: I got a message about having insufficient resources for a metal mine but the numbers and resources were all over the place (it claimed I need 17 norium, which is how much I had at the time). Also the grammar is all over the place, I don't know what 30% of this is even supposed to mean - get a native speaker to go over it for you. (Edit: In the combat simulator for example, you fill in the details and the buttons at the bottom read "Mailing" and "Moving Back" :confused:...apparently "mailing" makes it go and "moving back" resets the fields.)

So...the trader needs 750 dark matter per transaction? I have lots of spare crystal and would like to sell it for metal and deuterium...I'm just cut out of that part of the game for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The explanation for how to get a shipyard is quite ... non-existent. I couldn't find it.

I assume you can't found other planets without ships, and that you can't build more than one mine per planet. Am I wrong here?

I'd echo a few of the other posters, in that the English on the site shows various translation problems. At least, I assume they are translation problems, you'd need to get a native to look over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, you dont build more than one of any one building, instead you level it. If you think about it, its more like investing in an industry than building "a mine".

• Advertisement

Aye, I've levelled up a few times, just wondering. Grand so.

Ah here, I was clicking around the menus seeing what was what, and apparently the galaxy menu eats up deuterium without any warning or notification. That's fucking retarded. I supposedly don't have any spaceships, how the hell am I burning through my resources just clicking on the menu? On the verge of giving up on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

Zillah wrote: »
    Ah here, I was clicking around the menus seeing what was what, and apparently the galaxy menu eats up deuterium without any warning or notification. That's fucking retarded. I supposedly don't have any spaceships, how the hell am I burning through my resources just clicking on the menu? On the verge of giving up on this.

I did not realise that. I was clicking through the galaxies and systems earlier looking where players were. That needs to be disabled. Resources taken without any ships being sent out doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 skateboardP

Good news - a wiki is on the way folks which will hopefully clear some things up and will have a getting started guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Signed up, like that most construction times are quick... hate games where you have to wait an hour to construct any building.

Looks good so far, how long away is the wiki :P

• Advertisement

I said it in the chat but I may as well put it here:

A wiki isn't the solution, as much relevant information should be available within the game as possible. It should be intuitive. If you're proposing that players should read the wiki to discover that certain innocuous arrow buttons in the interface will devour resources without any warning or acknowledgement then you're not really thinking about the user experience.

Why does looking at the solar systems tab cost resources, anyway? Am I supposed to imagine my President flying around in some sort of space-pod personally scoping out the planets he is reading up on?

You have 33 players, a dozen of whom don't seem to have done anything other than register and at least two of whom appear to be developers. You need to be ruthlessly taking out crappy features that will drive people away rather than hand-waving and saying "there will be a wiki".

The deuterium usage while browsing the galaxy view will be disabled

Sweet. Now send me 40 deuterium and I'll forgive you.

If I could trade I'd be charitable and give it to ya :p

Done. This has been fixed.

Just out of curiosity, would any of you use a forums if we set one up? Just seeing if there is a demand there yet for one.

Done. This has been fixed.

I easily clicked through 10k or more of deut before this was highlighted. I think I should have it refunded as well..... ahem...

Tutorials added, looking good lads.

Wow, did you put all of that together since we started complaining? Looking good eitherway. Are they supposed to be functional yet? I've met the criteria for Task 1 but it says it is incomplete.
    Edit: Working now.

Reward : 10000 Deuterium, 10000 Crystal, 10000 Metal

Oh ****, things are gonna heat up now.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Reward : 10000 Deuterium, 10000 Crystal, 10000 Metal

Oh ****, things are gonna heat up now.

Did you see task 2 gives you 10k deut and wait for it. 5,000 missile launchers..... which if you're interested is 10,000,000 worth of metal

So do these 5,000 missile launchers essentially make ones planet untouchable?

Did you see task 2 gives you 10k deut and wait for it. 5,000 missile launchers..... which if you're interested is 10,000,000 worth of metal

So do these 5,000 missile launchers essentially make ones planet untouchable?

It depends on the attackers ships etc - also it's an incentive to complete the tutorials

I'm seeing:
    500 Missile Launchers

Hope skate is still up so he can consider reducing it :S

Yea this has been brought down to 1k now, sorry the 5000 was a bit generous :rolleyes:

I now have 1001 missile launchers, I dare you to attack me while I'm in bed, fools.

Also, based on the interface snaffu earlier, I'd say you're Spanish. FYI, outside of mainland Europe thousands tend to use a comma rather than a fullstop, so 1,000 is normal, 1.000 looks like 1 to an Irish/US person.
    Also also, your descriptions for some items seem to have what I think are java floating point variables in them. I can only say this because I am literally learning Java between playing the game.

That decimal point rather than comma has been getting on my nerves alright :P

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

Yea this has been brought down to 1k now, sorry the 5000 was a bit generous :rolleyes:

Is it possible to reduce the bonus of the few players who got the 5,000 missile launchers before it was changed to match the players who only got a 1,000 missile launcher bonus for the tutorial? Or do the missile launchers not really matter in the long run and it'll be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Jesus, I was only gone for 12 hours and went from being 4th on the table with a meagre 10 point lead to being 13th, and roughly 10,000 points behind the leader

RedXIV wrote: »
    Jesus, I was only gone for 12 hours and went from being 4th on the table with a meagre 10 point lead to being 13th, and roughly 10,000 points behind the leader

Tutorials will probably help you regain the lost ground.

Or the leaders will be so far ahead we'll be totally screwed regardless. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Decided to jump in and give it a go.

Registration very simple. Design is very nice.

I'll post any bugs or issues I may fine.

==edit== found the tutorial. Jeese I'm blind :|

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement