Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Football Tips Thread v3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BBoyle88

Really fancy Juve -1 in the Turin Derby tomorrow night.
    Juve have gone off the boil in recent weeks but can bounce back here in la derby della mole.
    Juve have beaten Roma 4-1 and Napoli 2-0 in the big home games this year although have lost to inter.
    This will be the first serie a Turin derby in the new Juventus Stadium so Juve will be all out to put on a show in front of their partisan crowd.
    Torino have gone 6 derby matches without a goal but have been rock should this year at the back.
    Juve will look for yet another early goal like they have done so often this year and if this comes I can see a convincing home win.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

FatRat wrote: »
    When does Serie A end? How many GW's left like? And where can the best odds be found? I don't really get that oddchecker website posted above (newbie). 5/2 on skybet is?

4s vcbet http://www.betvictor.com/sports/en/football-specials/european-specials/62504710?market_id=13807509&market_type_id=2839&period=10976

suppose its a while to wait but its serious value right now
    scored at least once in 10 of milans last 13

it will probably end same time as premiership around may (may18)

http://www.soccerboards.com/tables_detail.php?l=2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

mailburner wrote: »
    4s vcbet http://www.betvictor.com/sports/en/football-specials/european-specials/62504710?market_id=13807509&market_type_id=2839&period=10976

suppose its a while to wait but its serious value right now

it will probably end same time as premiership around may (may18)

http://www.soccerboards.com/tables_detail.php?l=2

Just figured it out straight after, I couldn't believe it was 4 so didn't think that was the odds :pac: I would if I had a BV account.

I predict a cagey affair at between West Brom and Stoke tomorrow! (Naturally with Stoke). I think West Brom will win though and can be got at evens or maybe better. West Brom have won all of their home games this season apart from Man City where they lost 2-1. Stoke have drawn 4 and lost 3 away. Stoke have been extremely poor away and West Brom have been extremely strong at home, even beating Chelsea 2-1. I think I will be backing West Brom to win 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 at 2/1 on Skybet. Can't see many goals at all in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Anyone got any opinions on the big game in Germany 2mrw?
    Bayern v Dortmund

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Kharkiv are playing away to the 'Ukrainian Hinckley' tomorrow.

-2 at 9/4 looks very tasty with Paddy

Sadly it seems the bookies have gotten wise to our friends in Hinckley Utd though, only Blue Square match without a market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BBoyle88

Shane St. wrote: »
    Bayern v Dortmund

Fancy Munich to win this one and almost finish off dortmunds title defence. Munich have the greatest strength in depth in Germany and are able to cope with the current number of games. Dortmund and schalke seem to be struggling lately to juggle CL commitments and domestic duty whereas Munich are steamrolling teams every week. They are not dependant on 2 or 3 players for goals, their goals seem to come from all over the pitch.
    Munich will want revenge after last years whitewash to Dortmund and are a stronger team than last year with Martinez and mandzukic being added.

Home win for me.

dortmund big at 10/3
    dnb at 2s looks even better or double chance 10/11
    I backed munich in this fixture last season thinking they were certs
    they beat munich home and away last two seasons
    The team ive seen playing in the champions league are
    probably better than munich imo

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

JÚBILO IWATA VS. GAMBA OSAKA

This is a big match for Gamba, a must must win game. They are lucky to up against a team playing for nothing

I probably should go for the straight gamba win @ 4/5 but Im going for over 3 goals @ 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭donadoni

Bayern v Dortmund

This game is very difficult to call.
    But if I was to back a team to win in Munich than it is Dortmund. I believe the return for a Dortmund win is quite high, so if I had a bit of money left over and wanted to take a chance, I'd go for a Dortmund win.
    IMO Bayern is overall the better team but recent form has been better for Dortmund. Not necessarily in terms of results but Bayern didn't look all that convincing lately, but Dortmund was somewhat unlucky, while they were still looking quite good.
    Furthermore Bayern doesn't like Dortmunds style of play (extreme pressing) at all.
    I am a Bayern supporter though and I hope I am wrong.
    If you want to play save, you should leave that game out of your bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Austria! wrote: »
    United win over 80% of their home games generally over the last 4 years, and that's including matches against the top 4. West ham aren't even a top 8 team. Odds of 1.25 for a home win are very good tonight.

I was a bit surprised by how good the odds were on this actually. Over the last 6 seasons, united won 88% of the home games against bottom 10 teams, which West Ham almost certainly are. That equals odds of about 1.15, not the 1.25 offered by the bookies.

I can only think the bookies are going by older historical data about how the top 2 fare, but as you can see in this chart the big teams are getting better at winning as the years go by. But even if you go back 12 years the historical odds only rise to 1.21.

top2_home.jpg

And if you look at last year's odds at Bet365 for example, you get 1.13, 1.14, 1.14, 1.17 for the visits of Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan and QPR to Old Trafford, which is more in line with what I expect. Sure West Ham are better than those guys...

So after all that, I don't understand the price at all.
    =================================

And I'm backing United Away to Reading @1.44, based on a guess I'm making about that trendline you see up top. The top2's away form hasn't improved in the last 12 years, except against the bottom teams, where the last 6 years have been very different from the previous 6. Given that the bookies overround is small, I think my confidence in my guess gives me a slight edge (like in Bayesian probability).

I've probably bored/confused everyone. Sorry. If it helps, I'll also tip a draw at west ham. Chelsea struggling, west ham hard to break down, the home advantage goes some way to making up the gulf in class. Odds of 3.5 seem tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I was a bit surprised by how good the odds were on this actually. Over the last 6 seasons, united won 88% of the home games against bottom 10 teams, which West Ham almost certainly are. That equals odds of about 1.15, not the 1.25 offered by the bookies.

I can only think the bookies are going by older historical data about how the top 2 fare, but as you can see in this chart the big teams are getting better at winning as the years go by. But even if you go back 12 years the historical odds only rise to 1.21.

top2_home.jpg

And if you look at last year's odds at Bet365 for example, you get 1.13, 1.14, 1.14, 1.17 for the visits of Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan and QPR to Old Trafford, which is more in line with what I expect. Sure West Ham are better than those guys...

And I'm backing United Away to Reading @1.44, based on a guess I'm making about that trendline you see up top. The top2's away form hasn't improved in the last 12 years, except against the bottom teams, where the last 6 years have been very different from the previous 6. Given that the bookies overround is small, I think my confidence in my guess gives me a slight edge (like in Bayesian probability).

I've probably bored/confused everyone. Sorry. If it helps, I'll also tip a draw at west ham. Chelsea struggling, west ham hard to break down, the home advantage goes some way to making up the gulf in class. Odds of 3.5 seem tasty.

I think West Ham in particular have a touch of the Liverpool/Evertons about them in that they seem to get backed quite a bit which leads to their price being incorrect.

In saying that, I got 1.36 on United at home to Wigan earlier on in the season which I was pretty surprised with even withstanding the fact that United hadn't been in great form before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Baker87

West Brom win at home to Stoke @ Evns anyone?

Alsogone a small stake West Ham/Chels Draw @12/5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Edinson Cavani to be the Serie A top scorer is available at 9/2 on SkyBet. Dropped from 6/1 on Paddypower to 7/2 after his hat trick last night. Got on at 6/1 but will be staking more at 9/2 as I'm even more confident now. A double of Juventus and Cavani winner and top scorer is 11/2 with BetVictor upon request which also holds value.

The bookies had this one all wrong imo. Many have the second and third favourites as Jovetic (Support striker) and Pazzini (Useless) . Early goals for these two has interfered with the odds imo.

Cavani is leagues ahead of both of them with the only other two 3 strikers capable of scoring over 20 goals being:
    1. Di Natale 14/1 (Quite possible and will look to lay Cavani using him if things go badly)

2. Diego Milito 9/1 (Same as Di Natale and may lay Cavani using him)

3. Alex Pato 49/1 Has the ability but won't play enough games. However, he'll play enough games to ensure Pazzini misses out on a few, thus completely ruling him out of the running.

Miroslav Klose is the other alternative but I don't think he'll clear the 20 goal mark as club goals have never been his specialty (Has an impressive record with Lazio though). He's available at best odds of 14/1.

Jovetic simply doesn't have the firepower or support to score regularly enough and Osvaldo won't clear 20 goals. Cavani also has more responsibility to score now that Lavezzi is gone and the man rarely gets injured.

It should take no more than 25 goals to win this one and I can see him doing it but more importantly, I can't see anybody else coming that close. All these other factors make 9/2 great odds.

300 euro on (60% of Bankroll)

On a sidenote Pep Guardiola is 20/1 to have AC Milan as his next club (Betvictor). Allegri's leaving, Guardiola's interested. More than a 5% chance of this happening makes it good vale. 20 euro on for fun.

Had to repost this when I saw the talk of El Shaarawy being top scorer. Avid Milan fan, follow them to a tee. But I simply can't see him keeping it up. 12 in his first 14 but I can't see him heading much north of 20. 24/25 at most but I can see Cavani just pipping him to the post. 4/1 now at Betvictor but I'm sure he will be available at 5/1 at some stage soon. Have 250 on him at 4/1 now (and 150 @ 6/1) (which is a lot for me) and I will be staking more if it hits 5/1 because it's just too good to turn down. Can be easily laid as well if things go sour with Milito and Di Natale the only other real contenders (Klose should fall short).

So all in all I wouldn't lump on El Shaarawy, especially at those odds. Cavani will come good very soon (Home to Pescara Monday) so all in all I'd advise not backing SES, but if you are going to back him, at least wait until Monday!

On a side note Guardiola's next job to be Milan is 33/1 on BetVictor and 4/1 on Paddypower :confused: .. Have money on him at 20/1 and 16/1 but I might put a few quid more on @ 33s because it's simply too good value!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bayern v Dortmund

BTTS, Over 2.5 and Over 3.5.

Long story short, I expect us to score and to concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Headshot wrote: »
    JÚBILO IWATA VS. GAMBA OSAKA

This is a big match for Gamba, a must must win game. They are lucky to up against a team playing for nothing

I probably should go for the straight gamba win @ 4/5 but Im going for over 3 goals @ 5/6
    Good call not backing those mugs at odds on, the goals bet is much better value...theres an average of 4 per game this season in gamba mathes..they were expected to beat FC Tokyo last week at home and began at 1.4,threw away the lead late on 2nd half, there poor fans hearts are broken all season they have a shocking back 4.. I still expect them to win,there relegated with anything but a win. Would be a good game.. Also check out the Vissel Kobe v Sanfreece game. Sanfreece wrapped up the league last weekend and Vissel are fighting to stay up, home game for them, they should be worth a bet...Sanfreece may already be switched off and in party mode

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    BTTS, Over 2.5 and Over 3.5.

Long story short, I expect us to score and to concede.

And Robben is out so he cant **** up a penalty :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Headshot wrote: »
    What absolute rubbish from Boyles, I think ill be taking my business else where. But who else can I request these kind of bets?

The few card bets i have done were on Betfair. Bets i did were in the CL and EPL.
    They dont have markets for the Dutch eredivisie player/cards either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Going for over 1.5 in Arsenal/ City games and Utd win
    Treble pays slightly over evens

decent bet on dortmund double chance at evens (365)

small bet on these
    dortmund 1-0 14s (happened both times last season) its an awful
    big price for the scoreline imo
    lewand score 1st dort 1-0 40/1
    reus score 1st dort 1-0 50/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Anyone else looking at the price of Atletico tonight(6/1 on PP) and thinking they are big? Real aren't in great form and Atletico are playing well. History is against it though, its 1999 since they last beat them.

• Advertisement

Had to repost this when I saw the talk of El Shaarawy being top scorer. Avid Milan fan, follow them to a tee. But I simply can't see him keeping it up.

I wonder though
    hes been prolific so far so who knows
    if he continues in this vein he could have it
    wrapped up as early as late march
    worries me that hamsik is scoring as many for napoli (6) and cav
    has only scored more than once in a game all season so against
    bottom club pescara he should hopefully find the net at least once
    If he somehow doesnt score here i think its all but over
    ses has scored half of milans 24 goals with only
    pazzini scoring more than two (5)

on a side not i do have cavani backed with reading relegation and
    utd to win the league and im most confident of the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Avfctom

Abit of a longshot everton scored the most first half goals in the premier league city scored the most second half goals in the premier league gonna have a little play at

Everton ht man city ft

Blatter wrote: »
    I think West Ham in particular have a touch of the Liverpool/Evertons about them in that they seem to get backed quite a bit which leads to their price being incorrect.

In saying that, I got 1.36 on United at home to Wigan earlier on in the season which I was pretty surprised with even withstanding the fact that United hadn't been in great form before hand.

I'm going on Chelsea's form rather than West Ham's. They're not making much chances and their forward for life is not exactly banging them in.

I think the unders is probably good value too at 1.91

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭Lasagna Diarra

Under 2.5 in Nice vs PSG @ 1.75

PSG's away games often go under 2.5 (2-0 vs Dinamo Zagreb, 1-0 vs Nancy, 1-1 vs Montpellier, 0-0 vs St Etienne). PSG will be without their 1st choice keeper Sirigu and their defensive midfielder Verratti, but they have a big squad and their back up keeper Douchez is ok.
    Nice have a pretty good keeper (Ospina) and also have some decent players, I don't think they'll get thrashed here.
    As a cover in case it goes over 2.5 I took:
    PSG 2-1 @ 7.00
    Nice 2-1 @ 11.50

Bordeaux to win and under 3.5 goals to be scored (vs Sochaux) @ 1.95

Bordeaux are simply better than Sochaux, they'll be without Obraniak and Saivet but they should be able to beat Sochaux who have loads of injured players. Sochaux have a good keeper and Bordeaux are missing two creative players hence under 3.5.
    Also took 1-1 @ 7.25 and 0-0 @ 7.50 cuz Bordeaux can have trouble scoring goals at times.

edit: forgot to add, last season Ancelotti's PSG could only manage a 0-0 draw in Nice.

Fancy chelsea to get the win today upton park is a hard place to go but i dont rate west ham defensively and can see oscar hazard mata causing all sorts of problems and with the record fernando torres has against west ham im going for william hills enhanced wincast

Torres anytime chelsea win 3/1

top2_home.jpg

It was getting late when I posted that, so I didn't give enough explanation...

Ok, so according to that analysis you'd expect the top2 to be amassing more points as the years go on, and that is exactly what you see

points_won_by_top2.jpg

So, the top2 might be getting better, and the last 6 years might be a better guide to how the teams will do than the last 12 years, which would underestimate the top2.

Win percentage of top 2 away

Last six season
    Bottom 10 73%
    9-15 61%
    Bottom 5 83%

Last 12 seasons
    Bottom 10 72%
    9-15 62%
    Bottom 5 55%

What I found very strange from going back further was that, unlike the last six seasons, which follows the trend you expect (You win more often against the bottom 5 than the bottom 10, and more often against the bottom 10 than the team 9-15), going back over 12 seasons shows the top teams lose much more against the bottom 5 than the bottom 10.

What's going on here?

1. Pure dumb chance. You win some you lose some, this is the way the apples have fallen.

2. The 12 yearl data is more accurate, and the top 2 fail to beat the bottom 5 more often away, because they are scrapping for survival. Your fancy dan Deco doesn't like it up him on a cold tuesday in december.

3. The trend of the top 2 getting better is accurate (and therefore the data from the last 6 seasons is more accurate), and when we look at the improvement we see it's coming mainly in home matches against the bottom 10, and away matches against the bottom 5. Home matches against the bottom 10, and away matches against the top 5 might be the easiest fixtures the top 2 face, and the improvement we see is from them being genuinely better these days at winning the easiest fixtures.

Now, we can't know for sure, but I'm inclined to think there's something to explanation 3, and give more weight to the data from the last 6 seasons (which means 88% chance of victory away to bottom 5) than the last 12 seasons (which means 55% chance of victory away to bottom 5).

And even if the top 2 weren't really getting better, and I'm confident they are, the underlying belief really should be that you should beat the bottom 5 away more often than you beat the bottom 10 away. Even without any of what I wrote above, I'd find data saying it's harder to beat the bottom 5 than the bottom 10 to probably be unreliable unless the sample size was quite large.

And of course the sample size for the bottom 10 is twice as big as it is for the bottom 5, so I'm more inclined to believe that.
    Historically that means 72-73% chance of victory (odds of 1.36-1.4) against the bottom 10, and for reasons of common sense odds of even less that against the bottom 5.

So, for all those reasons, I think I'll be backing the top 2 away to the weakest teams this season, starting with United away to Reading at 1.45.

Chelsea to win to nil 2/1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

It was getting late when I posted that, so I didn't give enough explanation...

Ok, so according to that analysis you'd expect the top2 to be amassing more points as the years go on, and that is exactly what you see

points_won_by_top2.jpg

So, the top2 might be getting better, and the last 6 years might be a better guide to how the teams will do than the last 12 years, which would underestimate the top2.

Win percentage of top 2 away

Last six season
    Bottom 10 73%
    9-15 61%
    Bottom 5 83%

Last 12 seasons
    Bottom 10 72%
    9-15 62%
    Bottom 5 55%

What I found very strange from going back further was that, unlike the last six seasons, which follows the trend you expect (You win more often against the bottom 5 than the bottom 10, and more often against the bottom 10 than the team 9-15), going back over 12 seasons shows the top teams lose much more against the bottom 5 than the bottom 10.

What's going on here?

1. Pure dumb chance. You win some you lose some, this is the way the apples have fallen.

2. The 12 yearl data is more accurate, and the top 2 fail to beat the bottom 5 more often away, because they are scrapping for survival. Your fancy dan Deco doesn't like it up him on a cold tuesday in december.

3. The trend of the top 2 getting better is accurate (and therefore the data from the last 6 seasons is more accurate), and when we look at the improvement we see it's coming mainly in home matches against the bottom 10, and away matches against the bottom 5. Home matches against the bottom 10, and away matches against the top 5 might be the easiest fixtures the top 2 face, and the improvement we see is from them being genuinely better these days at winning the easiest fixtures.

Now, we can't know for sure, but I'm inclined to think there's something to explanation 3, and give more weight to the data from the last 6 seasons (which means 88% chance of victory away to bottom 5) than the last 12 seasons (which means 55% chance of victory away to bottom 5).

And even if the top 2 weren't really getting better, and I'm confident they are, the underlying belief really should be that you should beat the bottom 5 away more often than you beat the bottom 10 away. Even without any of what I wrote above, I'd find data saying it's harder to beat the bottom 5 than the bottom 10 to probably be unreliable unless the sample size was quite large.

And of course the sample size for the bottom 10 is twice as big as it is for the bottom 5, so I'm more inclined to believe that.
    Historically that means 72-73% chance of victory (odds of 1.36-1.4) against the bottom 10, and for reasons of common sense odds of even less that against the bottom 5.

So, for all those reasons, I think I'll be backing the top 2 away to the weakest teams this season, starting with United away to Reading at 1.45.
    If you do back the top 2 away to the bottom 10 at odd's of 1.36-1.45 and you win 4 times in a row you spend 400 quid and win say 45-50 quid and then you loose one bet you are down 50-55 quid. Also taking a big loss will affect you in an obvious way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

West Ham v Chelsea
    Torres anytime 15/8
    Torres has scored six goals in six Premier League appearances against West Ham

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Not had much luck of late but going for

QPR

City

Real

Heerenveen

40 @ 7/1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement