Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 weeks travelling Australia East Coast Melb-Cairns

Options
  • 11-05-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Planning my four week trip to Oz with the above locations in July. I literally have no clue where to visit and what is a must do. I am guessing that this has been discussed but cannot find a previous thread. Any kind hearted boarder have any advice/itinerary/must dos? Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Empsey wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Planning my four week trip to Oz with the above locations in July. I literally have no clue where to visit and what is a must do. I am guessing that this has been discussed but cannot find a previous thread. Any kind hearted boarder have any advice/itinerary/must dos? Thank you!!

I am assuming that you intend spending 4 weeks traveling between Melbourne and Cairns. If so the coastal route is worth considering if your into surf, beaches and forest and some of the main cities and tourist areas.
    From Melb via Wilsons Promontory, Lakes Entrance, Merrimbula, Ulladulla, Sydney, Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Fraser island, Mackay, Townsville, Cairns.
    Alternatively an inland route via Albury, Wagga Wagga, Dubbo, Walget, Roma, Emerald, Charters Towers, Cairns provides an outback perspective andsmaller rural towns.
    Just to note Melbourne will be cool to cold in July but it will get notable warmer as you travel north.
    Paxo

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

paxo wrote: »
    I am assuming that you intend spending 4 weeks traveling between Melbourne and Cairns. If so the coastal route is worth considering if your into surf, beaches and forest and some of the main cities and tourist areas.
    From Melb via Wilsons Promontory, Lakes Entrance, Merrimbula, Ulladulla, Sydney, Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Fraser island, Mackay, Townsville, Cairns.
    Alternatively an inland route via Albury, Wagga Wagga, Dubbo, Walget, Roma, Emerald, Charters Towers, Cairns provides an outback perspective andsmaller rural towns.
    Just to note Melbourne will be cool to cold in July but it will get notable warmer as you travel north.
    Paxo

I'd add Port Macquaire to that list. Here at the moment, super little town! Just what we needed after the rat race which was our three days in Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Empsey

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. I must research all of these places and see if they appeal to me. Yes the beach route would be something I would prefer anyway. I am aware of the climate unfortunately and so I intend to move up north as soon as possible as I am a bit of a sun worshipper and want to catch the rays. How would you suggest travelling to these destinations? People have said to use the buses or rent a car. I am have no preference however I do not know if I would want to the hassle of buying/selling the car. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you are starting in Melbourne in July it will be pretty cold and cloudy/wet. I wouldn't really bother doing between Melbourne and Sydney at that time of year. Get a flight to Sydney and then on you go again. Fly to Brisbane and after get Greyhound bus on up to do Fraser Island and the Whitsundays but again it may not be very warm/consistent weather at that time of year. The further North you go the better it will be. After Cairns go upto Port Douglas. A small town but a lovely beach there and some nice restaurants and cafes. Nice place to give the body a break. After that maybe consider Darwin. I have mentioned it in the thread where someone questioned Uluru and that route.
    Btw 4 weeks from Melbourne to Cairns is rather ambitious especially if you are going to spend 2/3 days in each city. I would say too much to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

Don't take the Hume highway to Sydney, go the long way & take a detour over mount Hotham you wont regret it - its beautiful theres snow there even in summer. Sydney - stay in Bondi beach. Skip Byron straight to Nimbin. Drugs isnt the main draw there its the amazing countryside around it - go to hanging rock waterfall; only the locals know about it (ask directions) & its gr8 for cliff diving. Noosa head is great on weekends, check out hervey bay & fraiser island. Go to whitsundays & do rafting day trip its the best. Tablelands sout & west of Cairns have the most diverse waterfalls - all you can swim in & Daintree just to the north - the most picture perfect rainforest I've ever seen!

• Advertisement
Advertisement