Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you go to Mass regularly?

• 11-05-2012 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I used to when I was a pup but now it's only once a year at Xmas. I find it all rather boring if I'm honest. Do you be going regularly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If by "to mass" you mean "drinking", then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No, it's for religious nutters and really, really, really old people (100+). People who go to mass now are just looking for favours. I long for the day that masses are all cancelled due to lack of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If a Catholic close friend/family member married or died, I'd go to their wedding/funeral. That's about the height of it. Was last at a funeral around three years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Regular means re occurring at fixed times. The only time I would ever enter a church is for a funeral, that's the only time you don't have a choice really. So yes I do go regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Funerals, weddings - that's it. Don't do the whole Easter/Xmas thing anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I have friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Every day,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sarky wrote: »
    If by "to mass" you mean "drinking", then yes.
    Well 'mass' generally means a gathering of people.....so as long as you're not drinking alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Dudess wrote: »
    Every day,

Sarcasm detector just exploded... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Whats with all these insipid threads lately? Eh, Im not complaining. Beats moaning and complaining I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

no i dont agree with cults

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I bring my kids most weeks

The way I see it, is If I have gone to the effort of having them christened and going to an r catholic school then why wouldn't I bring them to mass?

It's a nice quiet hour once a week, time to reflect and be quiet in myself. Relaxing for me. I find it therapeutic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Every sunday morning at 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Last time I went I dropped Jesus out f my mouth and on t the ground

Quality wrote: »
    It's a nice quiet hour once a week, time to reflect and be quiet in myself. Relaxing for me. I find it therapeutic

Apart from the whole stand up, sit down, now kneel, up again bull**** and the murmuring crowd that reminds me of death, yea it's quiet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It all depends on how often someone I know is getting married or has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

le la rat wrote: »
    Last time I went I dropped Jesus out f my mouth and on t the ground

hes had worse days sure didnt the general nail him to a snooker table ...........maybe im getting my stories mixed up;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Do you be going regularly?
    What for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Would never set foot in a church again...

besides, I think if I did, everyone in there would turn and look at me like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Yes - I go regularly, and I don't regard myself in anyway holy or particularly good living.

I have kids that I bring to Mass and I insist they go. If, when they reach the age of 16, they feel that it is not for them, then I'm happy for them to bow out.

Masses are very well attended in Armagh (although have still suffered significant decline over the years), and I have to say I feel a sense of belonging by going, altough I would prefer not to go into the spiritual side of things here.

Seeing the Catholic Church and Catholics individually suffer so grievously at the hands of loyalist paramilitaries over the troubles was another reason why I was determined to attend - people up here were killed for their faith and I never lost sight of that.

The Catholic Church is under attack again, as evidenced by so many posts and threads on these boards, but an awful lot of that is very much self inflicted. However my attendance at Mass was never to worship any priest or bishop, and the wrongs of so many has not impacted on my faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So you're just going to spite the prods? Awesome.

Yes - I go regularly, and I don't regard myself in anyway holy or particularly good living.

I have kids that I bring to Mass and I insist they go. If, when they reach the age of 16, they feel that it is not for them, then I'm happy for them to bow out.

Masses are very well attended in Armagh (although have still suffered significant decline over the years), and I have to say I feel a sense of belonging by going, altough I would prefer not to go into the spiritual side of things here.

Seeing the Catholic Church and Catholics individually suffer so grievously at the hands of loyalist paramilitaries over the troubles was another reason why I was determined to attend - people up here were killed for their faith and I never lost sight of that.

The Catholic Church is under attack again, as evidenced by so many posts and threads on these boards, but an awful lot of that is very much self inflicted. However my attendance at Mass was never to worship any priest or bishop, and the wrongs of so many has not impacted on my faith.

So are you holy or not? sounds like your a cultural catholic forcing it on your kids for the sake of sectarianism..

Sarky wrote: »
    So you're just going to spite the prods? Awesome.

What's it to you?

How do you mean self-inflicted? It tends to be because of not being a believer and/or objecting to wrongdoings by the organisation surely.

What's it to you?

You're helping to keep ****ty sectarianism alive, so it means something to all Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What's it to you?

Forcing kids to go because it's tradition/expected/the family way is just a tad silly. Doesn't happen so much in Ireland (ROI) tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The benches are hard, the priests are middle aged out of touch men engaged in homiletics who try and tell you how to live your life while you parrot back inane mumblings about something that cannot possibly be substantiated and that rests on claims of phenomenon that break the laws of physics all so you can alleviate anxiety and fear.

How do you mean self-inflicted? It tends to be because of not being a believer and/or objecting to wrongdoings by the organisation surely.

The actions of many within the church have caused the attacks on the church. A lot of these attacks /criticisms are justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I think he meant the reason for the RCC coming under attack largely came about by the actions of certain members of the RCC hierarchy.

Nah I can understand someone embracing their religious identity more, whatever it is, in Northern Ireland. Obviously I don't excuse hatred towards those of other faiths up there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Links234 wrote: »
    Would never set foot in a church again...

besides, I think if I did, everyone in there would turn and look at me like this

you'd probably walk out in a huff then when you'd realise nobody gave a fiddlers! :rolleyes:

i go to mass regularly, nobody cares who i am when i walk in either, we're there for mass, not to gawk awkwardly at each other!

Quality wrote: »
    I bring my kids most weeks

The way I see it, is If I have gone to the effort of having them christened and going to an r catholic school then why wouldn't I bring them to mass?

this pretty much covers it for me too, i find it relaxing to take a bit of time out and reflect on things, plus the gospel and the readings usually give me a lot to think about and reflect upon.

they have a sunday school then for the children in the church i go to aswel where students from the local teacher training college involve the kids in activities and teach them about catholicism in terms they'll understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yup, I attend regularly enough.. different services, different times.

RichieC wrote: »
    You're helping to keep ****ty sectarianism alive, so it means something to all Irish people.

A new one on me - by attending Mass, I'm accentuating sectarianism!! :rolleyes:

Anything else you'd like me to change? - give up my Irish passport? Change the names of the kids? Change their schools? The sports I play?

Any advice would be helpful Richie - happy to turn my back on who I am in the aid of eradicating sectarianism!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

bwahahahaaa!!!!!! oh I accidentally :o

• Advertisement

A new one on me - by attending Mass, I'm accentuating sectarianism!! :rolleyes:

Anything else you'd like me to change? - give up my Irish passport? Change the names of the kids? Change their schools? The sports I play?

Any advice would be helpful Richie - happy to turn my back on who I am in the aid of eradicating sectarianism!!

you said yourself ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Never. Especially not at Christmas.

I've been in more mosques, synagogues and gurdwaras in the last ten years than I have churches.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

RichieC wrote: »
    you said yourself ffs...

No I didn't - you obviously can't read!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

That actually pisses me off that you would force someone until the age of 16 to attend something simply because it fits in with your own personal ideals. When they're old enough to articulate that they don't wish to be there, they're old enough to not be forced to go. I don't see what you think you're achieving by forcing them- if anything it'll simply make them more bitter towards the Catholic Church.

I say this as someone who attends services twice a week-- if my child ever said they would rather not go, I would not in a million years tell them otherwise. Faith is a wholly personal matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Confab wrote: »
    Forcing kids to go because it's tradition/expected/the family way is just a tad silly. Doesn't happen so much in Ireland (ROI) tbh.

It doesn't happen much in Dublin, but it happens on quite a large scale -for various reasons - in most of the rest of the country.

• Advertisement

Siuin wrote: »
    Faith is a wholly personal matter.

As is parenting.

As is parenting.
    Parenting is not a 'wholly personal matter' because it involves more than just one person making choices for themself. Believe it or not, that child is an individual in their own right too, and they have the right to establish themselves as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Often but not by choice other wise depends on the weekend and date may or may not go wouldn't bother me not going but go regularly but not every weekend but most weekends yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As is parenting.

Faith involves one person. Parenting involves more than one person. To say it is personal, is to completely ignore the personality of the child.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Parenting is not a 'wholly personal matter' because it involves more than just one person making choices for themself. Believe it or not, that child is an individual in their own right too, and they have the right to establish themselves as such.

Do you let your child eat whatever they want? Watch whatever they want? Yadda, yadda..

prinz wrote: »
    Do you let your child eat whatever they want? Watch whatever they want? Yadda, yadda..
    The decision of what to eat is a health issue- deciding to force one's child to go to mass (the Catholic Church, none the less, given their great ole record with how they've treated kids) is completely counterproductive. If the parent has their own ideological reasons for being there, fine, but they should not force them on the child

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Can you make that point clearer, please?

It's pretty clear as it is. Parents are there to parent. Going to 16 may be a tad extreme but to say a child is there to "establish themselves as an individual" at the expense of good parenting is just codology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Faith is a wholly personal matter.

As is parenting.

well said sir! its something that's not said often enough around here! :)

If the parent has their own ideological reasons for being there, fine, but they should not force them on the child

As a matter of interest do you feel the same about feeding a child meat? Or feeding the child a vegetarian diet etc? Where do you draw the line between what is up to the parent.... and what is up to the child to decide for themselves? Is it ideological not to want your child to watch films rated 18's for example? Is a parent allowed to decide that?

prinz wrote: »
    It's pretty clear as it is. Parents are there to parent. Going to 16 may be a tad extreme but to say a child is there to "establish themselves as an individual" at the expense of good parenting is just codology.
    I really don't see how 'good parenting' involves forcing a child to sit through services when they simply do not want to be there. It's a pretty good way of making them resent the church and/or the parent, but you can't FORCE a child to believe in God or Catholic doctrine

• Advertisement
Advertisement