Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ban on all religion

• 12-05-2012 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

heard several discussions over the last while which happened to have a common denominator in that religion is the cause of most wars and generally pointing out the bad points of religion in general. just wondering would people like to live in a country (lets just say ireland for arguments sake) that has a ban on all religions?

the floor is yours..................

should we ban all religion in this country? 81 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    37% 30 votes
    undecided
    62% 51 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Religion is not the cause of anything. People are the cause!

Religion is just the medium through which we amplify our differences which we choose to kill each other over.

If it wasn't religion, it would be something else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In the name of creating their version of a religion-free utopia, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedong collectively brought about the slaughter of more than 100 million people.

Religious nuts are not the cause of all wars, just nutters in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

No.

I want to live in a secular country. There is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Organised religion, not people simply being believers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm all for no religion, but yeah for spirituality. Which is totally different, maaaaaaaaaaan. You don't need a 'god' or dogma to feel spiritual.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Oh I ache...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Dudess wrote: »
    Organised religion, not people simply being believers.

What if what they want to believe in is an organised religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Another Religion thread?

Oh goody.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

heard several discussions over the last while which happened to have a common denominator in that religion is the cause of most wars and generally pointing out the bad points of religion in general. just wondering would people like to live in a country (lets just say ireland for arguments sake) that has a ban on all religions?

the floor is yours..................

If I change the word "religion" with the word "democracy", then yes - I agree.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

prinz wrote: »
    What if what they want to believe in is an organised religion?

Like Atheists...banding together...under one belief? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I don't mind theories, theories can be discussed, accepted, agree to disagree even.

Beliefs, now they are another thing all together, beliefs will get you killed and give you a way to justify your own killings.

I don't mind religion in itself, I don't like to be pushed toward a faith, I don't like fundamentalists who totally and unashamedly believe that they are right, everyone else is wrong and it is their duty to convert or subdue the non believers.

The people who think the world is 12,000 years old. Like in the face of all reasonable thought, they believe that. And that dinosaur bones and stuff is God testing us.

But these people would be crazy regardless of religion i think. Some people are just nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

If we vote in the poll, does it become law, or is it like a referendum, where if we get it "wrong" we get a second go??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

No we should not. People are entitled to believe in whatever they want. What they are not entitled to do is push their beliefs onto others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

religion only becomes a problem, when it becomes part of a government...or a government becomes a part of religion......

peoples desire for security cannot be satisfied in the real world...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Get it out of government, schools and anywhere that religious morals infringe on peoples rights, then people can believe what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No, we should not OP
    You are free to associate to whatever religion you wish

However religion should be taken out of all publicly funded schools.

You can either pay for a private school or you can organize some classes in your parish, maybe straight after Sunday mass.
    The parish priest and lay people can sort this out

And if this affects the parents Sunday morning round of golf, well ye're weren't committed in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I thought talking about religion in AH was banned :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Why not increase the education budget instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Owen_S wrote: »

To have religion continue to be a subject? No thanks, I'd rather they piss my taxes down a drain than prop up the teaching of hypocritical fairytale bull****.

Owen_S wrote: »
    Instead of what??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'd rather they piss my taxes down a drain than prop up the teaching of hypocritical fairytale bull****.

Listen, they're trying to piss your taxes down the drain the best way they know how, so if you've got any better ideas, either run for government, or come up with a better way to piss taxes than teaching hypocritical fairytale wankery.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Depends what you consider religion. I have religion but don't conform to organised sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

IM0 wrote: »
    I thought talking about religion in AH was banned :confused:

if it is i wasnt aware, i was just curious as to peoples thoughts. as i mentioned ive listened to many discussions on the subject and its usually rare anybody has a good word to say about it..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I would have put ideology and food before Religion in the causes of war. I'm more than open to correction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

*generic AH religion thread*

Sigh.

humberklog wrote: »
    I'm more than open to correction though.

Ah, so you're not religious then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

Ban religion? No, absolutely not. The beauty of religion is that it organises groups of feeble minded idiots and makes them easily identifiable, some more easily than others of course. If these people weren't being lead by these organisations, who knows where their utter lack of intellect would get them?

No, absolutely do not ban it, let the idiots keep labelling themselves and associating themselves with organisations that history will scorn. However, I hope, in my life time, to see it(both its teachings and ceremonies) removed from the schools and relegated to a purely private pursuit. It would be an added bonus if the recruitment of children too young to understand the concept were banned outright though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MsQuinn wrote: »
    Depends what you consider religion. I have religion but don't conform to organised sh1t.

regilgious hipsters are even worse, bet you take pics of communion wafers with Instagram

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ah, so you're not religious then!

I'm not anti.

There really hasn't been a whole lot of success in trying to ban religions. Especially in countries trying to ban all religions.

• Advertisement

Also, @starbelgrade, Hitler was not an Atheist. Do some reading before parroting such tripe in the future.

krudler wrote: »
    regilgious hipsters are even worse, bet you take pics of communion wafers with Instagram

I have no idea what you are talking about.

It would be an added bonus if the recruitment of children too young to understand the concept were banned outright though.

We could just take them off their parents at the hospital and raise them by robots instead.

krudler wrote: »
    Get it out of government, schools and anywhere that religious morals infringe on peoples rights, then people can believe what they want.
    Jasus, they've discoverered morals now?? I thought they were all about money and child abuse. I suppose it's a step in the right direction, eventually they might even start treating people nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ban religion? No, absolutely not. The beauty of religion is that it organises groups of feeble minded idiots and makes them easily identifiable, some more easily than others of course. If these people weren't being lead by these organisations, who knows where their utter lack of intellect would get them?

No, absolutely do not ban it, let the idiots keep labelling themselves and associating themselves with organisations that history will scorn. However, I hope, in my life time, to see it(both its teachings and ceremonies) removed from the schools and relegated to a purely private pursuit. It would be an added bonus if the recruitment of children too young to understand the concept were banned outright though.
    Yes. Religion takes in all the "feeble minded idiots" whilst the irreligious go change the world and philosophise :rolleyes:

Your post is unnecessarily aggressive and and a load of nasty, idiotic, generalising nonsense. Case in point, many "feeble minded idiots" have made huge advances in science and technology. Assuming you haven't even matched their contributions, if they are "feeble minded idiots" what does that make you? What term would you personally use to describe someone less intelligent/capable than a "feeble minded idiot"?

Also, @starbelgrade, Hitler was not an Atheist. Do some reading before parroting such tripe in the future.

I have a constructive reply to your suggestion :

Eat me.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    We could just take them off their parents at the hospital and raise them by robots instead.
    Or just, you know, not indoctrinate them into a belief that they have no understanding of whilst simultaneously telling them that everyone else is wrong, or even the "enemy" of their belief.

But hey, maybe that's too reasonable for someone clearly out for shallow hysteria.

Or just, you know, not indoctrinate them into a belief that they have no understanding of whilst simultaneously telling them that everyone else is wrong, or even the "enemy" of their belief. But hey, maybe that's too reasonable for someone clearly out for shallow hysteria.

Oh I agree, we should remove the kids of anyone with Leftist politics if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

if it is i wasnt aware, i was just curious as to peoples thoughts. as i mentioned ive listened to many discussions on the subject and its usually rare anybody has a good word to say about it..

my bad. Im sure it used to be in the chater with politics but its obviously been changed when you take a look at most the threads in here now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

In the name of creating their version of a religion-free utopia, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedong collectively brought about the slaughter of more than 100 million people.

Religious nuts are not the cause of all wars, just nutters in general.

Oh for ****s sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

As humanity progress, religion will be pushed further to the fringes of people's lives. Banning it would just make it stronger, not to mention that that's tryannical as fúck.

• Advertisement

My interperaiton of religion is believing in an exisestance not living on our planet that is guiding us. Their biology is different to ours so there is no point trying to play devils advoate on why they can be as we cannot be. Lots of references in the Bible that can be cross referenced.

Yes - I mean ALIENS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Oh dear good god. Don't think it possible universally but could happen here in Ireland and become more secular rather than no religion at all but its possible never say never, but an all one religion or a few is not feasible meaning be a whole load of them similar to how it is in the States and UK but more than one religion or none religion will dominate here in the future.

The catholic faith isn't strong enough here but the none religion is but could be one or the other or both. Society changes from generations and decades and centuries so anything is possible!

Yes. Religion takes in all the "feeble minded idiots" whilst the irreligious go change the world and philosophise :rolleyes:

Your post is unnecessarily aggressive and and a load of nasty, idiotic, generalising nonsense. Case in point, many "feeble minded idiots" have made huge advances in science and technology. Assuming you haven't even matched their contributions, if they are "feeble minded idiots" what does that make you?

Yes, feeble minded idiots, because it takes an extremely weak mind to accept such utter bull**** as is found in the pages of the bible. More than 90% of those registered to the academy of sciences in the uk and us are non-religious and it is they who are changing the world. Religion is contributing nothing to the good of the species any more. Anyway, I've absolutely no desire to waste more time talking to someone capable of the ****e you've posted in the abortion thread so good day to you.

Although, like before, I'm sure you won't settle to not have the last word on the matter, you petty little man.
    I have a constructive reply to your suggestion :

Eat me.

Oh well done. I'm sorry that the suggestion of actually checking your facts before asserting them offends you, although what can really be expected from someone who spends so, so much of their life on "After Hours"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mickey H wrote: »
    No we should not. People are entitled to believe in whatever they want. What they are not entitled to do is push their beliefs onto others.

The poll is about banning religion, not beliefs.

Two different things.

Oh well done. I'm sorry that the suggestion of actually checking your facts before asserting them offends you, although what can really be expected from someone who spends so, so much of their life on "After Hours"?

You know what's worse than atheists and creationists slagging each other off?

Posters on Boards who try to slag off other posters on Boards......... for being on Boards! :rolleyes:

@prinz:Ah, no engaging in discussion then, just trolling? Can't say I expected much from an audience that 84% of claim to be Catholic yet don't follow the teachings of the church whatsoever to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Typically, people seem to be confusing banning religion with atheism or secularism.

Atheism is the answer to the question "do you believe in god(s)" - no more, no less.

Secularism is about the government taking no stand and giving no preferential treatment to any religion. It does not mean they need to actively fight religion.

Secularism demands that people are free to believe what they want. In a nutshell, that's the point. In order to allow all beliefs, none can be given an elevated position.

Banning any belief is just tyranny.
    That atheists or any other minority under various theocracies have been and continue to be subjected to that tyranny is no reason to implement it in some other form.

MsQuinn wrote: »
    My interperaiton of religion is believing in an exisestance not living on our planet that is guiding us. Their biology is different to ours so there is no point trying to play devils advoate on why they can be as we cannot be. Lots of references in the Bible that can be cross referenced.

Yes - I mean ALIENS.

So you think "God" is an alien or a race of aliens? Interesting!

What led you to this conclusion?

Ah, no engaging in discussion then, just trolling?

The force is strong with this one. Aren't you the poster who referenced (and lamented the fact it didn't occur) the planned Nazi invasion of Ireland on a thread about the travelling community on this forum.... trolling is right.

Probably a good sense of humour.

I'll leave the "fact checking" and the over-inflated sense of knowledge to more "worthy" people like yourself.

After all, you seem to know how to use Wikipedia with aplomb.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement