Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semester X?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Done pretty awful in my exams so far, know ive failed maybe 3 or 4, maybe even more. Anyone know what my options are? I've heard about semester X where you just take a semester out to do your repeats and go straight into semester two with your class then and then do semester one the year after? Am I getting this right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

domrush wrote: »
    Done pretty awful in my exams so far, know ive failed maybe 3 or 4, maybe even more. Anyone know what my options are? I've heard about semester X where you just take a semester out to do your repeats and go straight into semester two with your class then and then do semester one the year after? Am I getting this right?

semester x is where you do repeats until you have gained 50 credits, then you can progress to your next stage. you can also do some of your next year credits before you get into your official next stage. contact your programme office and they''ll explain it all to you, its no the end of the world don't worry happened to me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Aw cheers man thats really helpful :) . Any idea is there a max you can pay in repeat fees? Ie in teh worst case scenario where I have to repeat 6 am I gonna have to shell out a full 1480 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Is there even a semester x? I thought it was stage x and once you go into it theres no catching up with your class.

No cap on repeat fees unfortunately!

yeah unfortunately there's no cap on repeat fees so it'll be 230 per repeat. Chet is right though its not semester x its called stage x. Say if you're in stage 1 and you only get 45 credits, you then get put into stage x until you get at least 50 credits of stage 1, and then you progress to stage 2. You can progress to the next stage with carried modules(repeats from the year before) too you just need to have those 50 credits first. You need to look into compensation too because you might just be able to scrape through with that there's a few threads going on about it now.
    Even if you fail 2 or 3 you can do all those repeats in one semester and do some modules from your next stage before you've actually gotten enough to go to the next stage, this lets you keep up with your mates and its a chance to fullycatch up before you finish your degree. If i've said anything that doesn't make sense sorry only awake here :cool: just ask and ill try clear it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Was stage X not abolished by UCD for new students 2 years ago :confused: It doesn't exist anymore for any students below 3rd year as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Was stage X not abolished by UCD for new students 2 years ago :confused: It doesn't exist anymore for any students below 3rd year as far as I know.

it does, i was in it after i ****ed up in first year only got 45 credits so i was in stage x till i passed the repeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It does exsist, just not called semester X by anyone except students. I was in Stage 2/3 for a semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

BX 19 wrote: »
    It does exsist, just not called semester X by anyone except students. I was in Stage 2/3 for a semester.

BX 19 did you just do a semester to finish off your repeats and then you went straight into second semester with the rest of your class or what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

domrush wrote: »
    BX 19 did you just do a semester to finish off your repeats and then you went straight into second semester with the rest of your class

In effect yes, thats exactly what happened. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I know that if one were to fail with 3 E's and pass the other 9 with a GPA higher than 2 he compensates the 3 fails, but what happens if you get 4 E's and 8 passes and your GPA is above 2? Do you have to repeat all 4 or do you compensate 3 and repeat one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You repeat one as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SRFCAndyC

am in a similar position now myself fail 4 one was a Fs other 3 where Es can i go into 3rd year(doing engineering if that makes a difference) and just repeat the module where igot the F or do i have to do stage/semester x?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

i'm pretty sure you just have to do the F module again, either resit the paper and get 40% to pass or retake the whole module with labs, lectures midterms etc included. This is if your GPA is over 2, if it's less then i'm not sure sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SRFCAndyC

i'm pretty sure you just have to do the F module again, either resit the paper and get 40% to pass or retake the whole module with labs, lectures midterms etc included. This is if your GPA is over 2, if it's less then i'm not sure sorry.

it is over 2 cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ucdsaz

Hi,

i failed two exams in semester 1 of stage1, my three subjects are linguistics,sociology and german. I did do economics but found it difficult so dropped it, i failed economics resat it and failed again. I also failed two other subjects german and linguistics. I want to talk on german and sociology for stage 2. Is there any way out of doing 'Stage X'? i have two medical certs also as i was sick?

Any help would be great.

Advertisement