Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting new PC need advise

Options
  • 12-05-2012 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello everyone first of all i wanna say i know nothing at all about PCs only thing i do is play games. Atm my pc is getting bit old and cant play games on best details anymore so i need a new one. Now, since i know nothing about PCs i need a build desktop PC already cant be getting parts since i dont know anyone who can make it up for me. My friend advised me to overclockers.co.uk

There is the list of the PCs they have atm:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2040

So we had a look and picked the one which we think is the best gaming PC they sell atm this one:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-246-OE&groupid=43&catid=2040&subcat= + i will swap 60GB SSD for crucial m4 128GB

So my questions are:
    1. do u think its worth the prize?
    2. will it last for years so i can play any new game that comes out in next 3/5 years on best details?
    3. Would u know any better or even cheaper company selling and shipping PCs to ireland?

1. What is your budget? [1500Euro]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Hardcore Gaming] (If gaming include which games,Tera atm but i want to be able to play newest games for next few years on best graphics)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [no i want everything brand new)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes, but i can manage that by myself ]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [24']

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1440x900 atm ] [Yes i am getting a new one with my PC]

6. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes, to be honest as i said i know nothinga about PCs i have no idea what doest overclocking do i guess u upgrade your CPU?]

7. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser any of those]

8. When are you purchasing? [In 1/14 although i can w8 bit longer ]

9. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Waterford]
    Ty a lot for your advises,comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Your better off building your own. And, you don't have to build your own to build your own. The place a lot here recommend will build it for you for an extra 20 euro.
    Fill this out and we can help you better.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74542374&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

It's not worth it. you're paying ~€1400 for a gtx 560 ti. I don't know if you have the m4 already or not. Item|Price
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R White, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€98.36
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€73.54
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€211.35
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.16
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€80.67
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€112.34
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC, GeForce GTX 670, 2048MB DDR5|€408.98
    ASUS P8Z77-V LX, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3|€113.22
    Dell UltraSharp U2312HM|€182.58
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1354.19

That's what i came up with for you. but please fill this form out so it can be better suited to your own needs.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nairat

i filled it out luyolo its in my main thread :) and ty a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Just get one from the dell outlet uk. end of.

I got a xps laptop: 1080 screen, i7, blueray, nvidia 2gb card, etc etc for £600, next day warranty for a year:)

the desktops are very cheap too, and alienware come up too. You might have to tolerate a small chip or scratch on the cover though, and delivery is UK only.

ligertigon wrote: »

I got a xps laptop: 1080 screen, i7, blueray, nvidia 2gb card, etc etc for £600, next day warranty for a year:)

the desktops are very cheap too, and alienware come up too. You might have to tolerate a small chip or scratch on the cover though, and delivery is UK only.

OP don't listen to this guy. He is very misinformed on the subject of value. Alienware are overpriced rigs with cheap components in them.
    Read this thread here for a good example of why you don't buy from Dell/Alienware.

I forgot to put a DVD-ROM in the build, just put that in the basket.

You could change the monitor to the U2412. The only difference between it and the U2312 is 1200p and 1080p and screen size, which you pay ~€80 for. It's out of stock ATM though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

As the poster above said, absolutely do not do this.

Are you sure it's good to recommend the 680 when it costs €100 more than the 670 and is only 5-10% better?
    There's also no Monitor in that build, which the OP asked for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

luyolo wrote: »
    Please rewrite all that in English and someone might read it. Anyways your post has nothing to do with this thread.

It's a spam bot. I've reported it.

Are you sure it's good to recommend the 680 when it costs €100 more than the 670 and is only 5-10% better?
    There's also no Monitor in that build, which the OP asked for.

Yeah, your right about the GPU.. The OP said he'll sort his own Monitor

• Advertisement

Yeah, your right about the GPU.. The OP said he'll sort his own Monitor

Then I recommend the OP goes with your build as more it is suitable.

OP don't listen to this guy. He is very misinformed on the subject of value. Alienware are overpriced rigs with cheap components in them.
    Read this thread here for a good example of why you don't buy from Dell/Alienware.

I forgot to put a DVD-ROM in the build, just put that in the basket.

You could change the monitor to the U2412. The only difference between it and the U2312 is 1200p and 1080p and screen size, which you pay ~€80 for. It's out of stock ATM though.

The op asked for advice. His choice to decide. And you are the misinformed. The "cheap" components you refer to are used in all pc's. All brands, all makes and models can be googled with problems.

The op asked for advice. His choice to decide. And you are the misinformed. The "cheap" components you refer to are used in all pc's. All brands, all makes and models can be googled with problems.

You're posting nonsense and anyone that listens to you is going to end up ripped off.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    You're posting nonsense and anyone that listens to you is going to end up ripped off.

Your right op, dont listen to me. You will get ripped off.
    By these guys that have a vested interest in selling/building you a mongeral machine.

I mean, they just say dont listen, I'm talking crap. But there is no argument put forward by them.

Caveat emptor

Mongeral isn't a word and whatever you meant by it I have no vested interest in anything. I'm just a consumer.

So this is bad value?
    http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=1&fid=1308&fid=1266

You need to check regularly, and very often, very cheap ones come up with a scratch. I mean £450 ballpark. Full warranty, and optional after warranty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

So this is bad value?
    http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=1&fid=1308&fid=1266

You need to check regularly, and very often, very cheap ones come up with a scratch. I mean £450 ballpark. Full warranty, and optional after warranty.

Yes, they are terrible value. For €1000 excluding VAT and delivery you get:

i7-920
    12GB RAM
    HD 5870
    640GB Hard Drive

Which is a two generation old computer that runs hot and loud. You could build a faster computer for €800 easily that will:

-Save you €400 straight off
    -Save you plenty more on ESB bills
    -Run much much quieter
    -Be upgradable in the future if needed
    -Have much higher quality components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

So this is bad value?

Yes
    i7-920 is old now and the 2500k beats it in almost all benchmarks
    5870s are the same better cards exist

For that €1150 the aurora costs refurb

you can probably get a:
    1TB hard drive
    128gb ssd
    8gb ram
    7970/7950/670
    and the rest
    and a 3 year warranty on parts

NTMK wrote: »
    Yes
    i7-920 is old now and the 2500k beats it in almost all benchmarks
    5870s are the same better cards exist

For that €1150 the aurora costs refurb

you can probably get a:
    1TB hard drive
    128gb ssd
    8gb ram
    7970/7950/670
    and the rest
    and a 3 year warranty on parts

He's not gonna read your post or Dec's and he's gonna post more "great deals" from Dell. I don't know if he's trolling or if he really believes what he's saying.

• Advertisement

Just giving the op options.
    You still failed to listen/read. The ones listed are an example, they are not all listed in the €1000's

These items change daily, so you need to look regularly. So what if some of the components are 2 year old items?(magnetic hdd are 20 year old technology) They still play 99% of new games, and if he gets one for €600 all in, thats good value imo considering the spec and can be upgraded like any other.

Im not saying these are the best pc's, and I know you can build/buy better, but for the expense, its not worth it unless you want minor detail improvements enabled in top games...

And luyolo, how dare you suggest I am trolling. You attacked my information offered to the op, he is obviously well informed and I advised him as a matter of opinion, yet you felt it necessary to bad mouth my suggestions without an argument.

Once again, 600 euro is good value (vat and delivery included) for the spec I mentioned. But you need to check often as they get snapped up.

Dont bother responding to this as I am unfollowing this thread, due to what seems like a cartel of no it alls who now are stuck in the fact that I presented a better deal to the op and can't back down to the reality of it.

Best of luck on your purchase Nairat whatever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Just giving the op options.
    You still failed to listen/read. The ones listed are an example, they are not all listed in the €1000's

These items change daily, so you need to look regularly. So what if some of the components are 2 year old items?(magnetic hdd are 20 year old technology) They still play 99% of new games, and if he gets one for €600 all in, thats good value imo considering the spec and can be upgraded like any other.

So what??? He can get higher performing, more energy efficient products for far less. Plus the fact that dell computers are not easily upgradeable.

The op asked for a pc that will play new in 3/5 years time at the highest settings, so please quit giving bad advice

Advertisement