Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick calf

• 12-05-2012 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'm just wondering if anybody can help me, as I am worried about my pet calf. She is almost 6 weeks old and almost 2 weeks ago she got really sick. We thought it was a chill or a bad cold so moved her into a covered stable where she would be nice and comfortable and warm. When the vet called out to her, he said that she had a scour and that it wasn't anything to be worried about. He gave her an injection and left some medicine for us to give to her. Her scour cleared up, and her appitite came back. She's drinking her milk and eating her nuts, isn't drowzy or keeping her ears back and her nose is warm. However, she is very bad on her feet. She doesn't want to stand up, and when we do finally get her up, she tends to get up on her front legs and leave the back ones down, until we practically have to hoist her up. She is fine standing to drink from the cow but like I said, doesn't want to stand in her little stable. Her back legs also seem to be quivering when she stands up.

This evening, I called the vet back (who must think Im a hypocondriac at this stage) and his son (who acts like a vet but isnt actually qualified) answered the phone. I explained about how Biscuit was, on her legs and all as he said was "uh that doesn't sound too good" and told me to call in and pick up some medicine. I will call into the surgery tomorrow and get the medicine, but I'm so frightened for her.

Im not entirely happy that hes giving medicine without seeing her or examining her, or that hes not a real vet (although he does know a lot, from going around with his father). He didn't say what was wrong with her, and I'm worried that she might die.

Can anybody shed any light on what might be wrong with her, or what we can do to make her better? I would call another vet to come out, but I know my father would be furious with me for doing so. However, its been almost two weeks and shes not herself.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've seen the vet give us vitamin injections for calves that don't get up or are bad on their feet.
    It isn't ideal that you want the vet out but didn't get him. Did. You ask for the vet to come out?
    Also I'd always recommend asking some questions each time, ask them what they are treating the animal for what symptoms they are looking at and what is the medicines they are giving you. That way you'll learn more yourself.
    If your not happy then ring back and
    Ask for the VET to call and see the animal, if the other lad calls be sure your not paying full call out rate if your sure he's not qualified. It's less than ideal if he's giving out prescription drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

calf needs energy to get over whatever is wrong with it.... life aid or similar a few times a day...also if you put the calf over a small bale of straw a few times a day it will strengthen its legs.... sounds to me like crypto but then i am not a vet and neither is the guy who hangs around with your vet

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

At this remove, it seems you should be careful also taking any advice as we have not even seen the animal, but I would be surprised if your vets advice did not include giving an 'energy' drink in addition to its usual milk quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

Sounds like Jointhill to me, ask your vet could this be a possibility given the right medicine she should make a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

I am so upset this evening. The calf in question that is sick is mine, my cow had her and shes the first baby calf that I actually own all by myself and I know it sounds stupid, but shes my little calf-princess. I have her spoiled rotten and she's a complete pet.

I went into the vets office this afternoon to pick up the medicine. No sign of the vet and it was his son that was in the office. He gave me 4 injections. 2 vitamins, 1 anti biotic and 1 anti inflammatory. He asked me again about the symptoms and I explained to him. He replied that "it doesn't sound too good for her, theres no reason she should be unsteady on her legs and it sounds like she could have an abscess on her spine". My jaw dropped, obviously, and I just said "She won't die will she?" He replied again that it wasnt looking good for her. I started to cry at this point, upset that she could possibly die, she is much more to me than just a calf, and I asked him if the vet would come out and check her out, because I want her to have every chance to get better. He said there was no point in the vet coming out as there was nothing more he would do other than give the exact injections that he was giving me to bring home.

I took them home to my dad, in an awful state, and he gave them to her, poor little fairy, 4 injections into the hip :( My dad reckons the vets son is talking out of his ass, he doesn't think its an abcess on the spine, but - hey, what do we know?

I'm absolutely terrified something is going to happen to her. Im on two minds whether or not to ring another vet in the morning and have him call out instead. I swear to god if anything happens to my calf, I'm going to report that joke of a practice to anybody that will listen to me.

• Advertisement

Can I buy energy drinks for her in a vet supply store?? If so which are the best to build them up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Polloloca wrote: »
    I am so upset this evening. The calf in question that is sick is mine, my cow had her and shes the first baby calf that I actually own all by myself and I know it sounds stupid, but shes my little calf-princess. I have her spoiled rotten and she's a complete pet.

I went into the vets office this afternoon to pick up the medicine. No sign of the vet and it was his son that was in the office. He gave me 4 injections. 2 vitamins, 1 anti biotic and 1 anti inflammatory. He asked me again about the symptoms and I explained to him. He replied that "it doesn't sound too good for her, theres no reason she should be unsteady on her legs and it sounds like she could have an abscess on her spine". My jaw dropped, obviously, and I just said "She won't die will she?" He replied again that it wasnt looking good for her. I started to cry at this point, upset that she could possibly die, she is much more to me than just a calf, and I asked him if the vet would come out and check her out, because I want her to have every chance to get better. He said there was no point in the vet coming out as there was nothing more he would do other than give the exact injections that he was giving me to bring home

I took them home to my dad, in an awful state, and he gave them to her, poor little fairy, 4 injections into the hip :( My dad reckons the vets son is talking out of his ass, he doesn't think its an abcess on the spine, but - hey, what do we know?

I'm absolutely terrified something is going to happen to her. Im on two minds whether or not to ring another vet in the morning and have him call out instead. I swear to god if anything happens to my calf, I'm going to report that joke of a practice to anybody that will listen to me.
    They sound like some outfit alright. My advice op is to bring the calf to a different vet and let them examine them. My first thought was joint ill but like other posters said the calf can only be diagnosed on inspection by a vet. Going by the bit in bold writing I would be inclined to steer clear of the practice you have been dealing with if that is their attitude.

I have just looked up joint ill. That happens when you don't put iodine on their bellybutton, doesn't it? We did that when she was born and I did it the following day. Her bellybutton dried up and was stringy and is gone now. She was a whole month old when she got sick, which the vet said was a scour. Scour healed up and noticed this morning that when she poos, its dark brown but really runny and shes pooping a lot. She can actually walk on her legs, its just that, she doesn't want to. We have to practically hoist her up, but she can get going alright when shes up. They're just trembling.

I'm absolutely terrified something will happen to her. I think i will ring another vet in the morning. I know my dad will be hopping mad with me, but I dont care at this stage.

Edit: Since she was little, and young, she goes around licking everything. The walls, the gates, picking up her bedding in her mouth. Maybe that would have something to do with it?

I have just looked up joint ill. That happens when you don't put iodine on their bellybutton, doesn't it? We did that when she was born and I did it the following day. Her bellybutton dried up and was stringy and is gone now. She was a whole month old when she got sick, which the vet said was a scour. Scour healed up and noticed this morning that when she poos, its dark brown but really runny and shes pooping a lot. She can actually walk on her legs, its just that, she doesn't want to. We have to practically hoist her up, but she can get going alright when shes up. They're just trembling.

I'm absolutely terrified something will happen to her. I think i will ring another vet in the morning. I know my dad will be hopping mad with me, but I dont care at this stage.

Edit: Since she was little, and young, she goes around licking everything. The walls, the gates, picking up her bedding in her mouth. Maybe that would have something to do with it?
    Its in a calfs nature to act like that. Could be just a bad case of some form of scour and the calf is weak from it. Best thing to do is have a different vet look at her because the practice you have been dealing with sound like a bunch of cowboys to me. As whelan1 said a life aid or lectate will stop her from getting dehydrated if you had a sachet to give to her in the meantime.

We have two sachets of energaid, I just checked. Should that be okay to give her in the morning after shes had her breakfast?

• Advertisement

We have two sachets of energaid, I just checked. Should that be okay to give her in the morning after shes had her breakfast?

If shes scoury give her a sachet of it in the morning and dont bother with the milk because it will only make her worse, I would try and get to the vet with her in the morning if you could too because she sounds weak enough and like I said a diagnosis cant be given without seeing her. Anyway the best of luck with her and I hope she comes around for you, let us know how you get on!!

Thanks a million for all your help and I will post the outcome.

So, the update on the baby is... My dad went out this morning to give her her breakfast and he noticed she was in much better form, standing herself to come get her milk. This has been the first morning in two weeks she didn't have to be helped up. He knew how upset I was about the baby so, about 45 mins ago he brought me out to show me she wasn't as sick as she was. Out we went and she was laying again, I had to go into her stable and she got up without me touching her, and trotted out past me into the bigger shed. She was walking around and seemed a lot steadier on her legs and was looking into the next stable at her little friends that she lived with before we had to isolate her. I let her in with them and she actually RAN and was doing the little jumps that little calves do. We watched her for almost 20 mins and she remained standing the entire time, galloping twice. We are going to leave her in there for an hour or that and move her back into the warmer cosier stable but she's so much better. We can't believe the improvement since yesterday and even since breakfast time. Doubtful the medicine worked that fast for her, but whatever it was, so thankful. We will keep an eye on her and hopefully shell keep improving but if she's letargic or if she gets worse, will call another vet.

I'm so happy she's doing so well and thanks to you all for all the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Great news.
    Either the vitamins or anti inflamitary would have worked that fast.

Soo happy for you, it's tough when things are going wrong.

Advertisement