Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to make the most of a 4G iPad 3?

• 12-05-2012 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

I just got an iPad 3 4G version for my birthday and I'm wondering how I get get the best from it considering 4G isn't in the country. I'm not very knowledgable with the whole 3G/4G thing so that doesn't help.
    As I understand it, the iPad 3 has LTE but will that come to Ireland when ever we get 4G?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It only support supports the frequencies used by US 4G networks. So even when 4G does arrive here you won't be able to use the new iPad with it. It's false advertising and several countries are taking legal action against Apple over it. So unless you live in the US it's really only a 3G iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

It only support supports the frequencies used by US 4G networks. So even when 4G does arrive here you won't be able to use the new iPad with it. It's false advertising and several countries are taking legal action against Apple over it. So unless you live in the US it's really only a 3G iPad.

That's a disappointment. I thought the smart thing for the companies to do would be to standardise the 4G frequency:confused:
    So since I'm stuck with only 3G, what are the max speeds I should expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I regularly get more than 10MBit with mine on a PAYG 3 SIM and with a PAYG Vodafone SIM.

bkehoe wrote: »
    I regularly get more than 10MBit with mine on a PAYG 3 SIM and with a PAYG Vodafone SIM.

How does this work out then? Do I need to go on a plan to be able to use the 3G or can I top up like credit?
    Honestly, I think the 3G iPad is a waste of money so far because I'm not able to utilise it properly.
    Hopefully I'll sort things out but for now it's proving to be a bit of a headache!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

They've renamed it to WiFi + Cellular now because of its incompatibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I hadn't noticed that. Good to see they backed down, though I guess they didn't have much choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

bertie4evr wrote: »
    They've renamed it to WiFi + Cellular now because of its incompatibility.

I bought one for a friend only a week ago and clearly said 4G on the box. Think i'll sue! :)

TBi wrote: »
    I bought one for a friend only a week ago and clearly said 4G on the box. Think i'll sue! :)

You're some Good friend to be buying an iPad! It clearly said 4G on mine as well. I think I'll file a class action lawsuit on them too:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

1ZRed wrote: »
    You're some Good friend to be buying an iPad! It clearly said 4G on mine as well. I think I'll file a class action lawsuit on them too:p

His money, i just got it for him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

How does this work out then? Do I need to go on a plan to be able to use the 3G or can I top up like credit?
    Honestly, I think the 3G iPad is a waste of money so far because I'm not able to utilise it properly.
    Hopefully I'll sort things out but for now it's proving to be a bit of a headache!:mad:

Strange logic of yours that the 3G iPad is a waste of money just because you haven't got a data plan for it yet - did you think 3G/4G access was free? :confused: You also have a GPS in it which the wifi only iPad doesn't have.

It's very simple - you can walk into any network operators store (or go on their website) and get a 30 day plan with an allocation of data, usually with prices starting from €5 a month specifically marketed for the iPad which will just work.

I personally use a 3 Ireland PAYG SIM most of the time (Vodafone one is for roaming in certain countries) as you get all you can eat data for 30 days after a 20 euro topup and at the end of that you can queue up 500MB data bundles that are valid for 30 days. My 3G usage is low so I don't need a huge data bundle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If people base their consumer choices on the tech wording on a box or website, of which the tech in question they know nothing about, I don't blame the company involved. Especially given the wealth of knowledge available on numerous forums and sites. People always seem to blame the company or product when they themselves should have educated themselves before buying. Maybe its just me!

But to answer your question OP, 3G is perfectly acceptable speed wise for what you'll be doing on an iPad. There are plenty of decent plans out there. I'm with Meteor and never had a major issue with speed. Like all wireless devices, it depends where you live and where you intend to use the device i.e Indoors in the middle of no where ain't going to be 10MB/s.

bkehoe wrote: »
    Strange logic of yours that the 3G iPad is a waste of money just because you haven't got a data plan for it yet - did you think 3G/4G access was free? :confused: You also have a GPS in it which the wifi only iPad doesn't have.

It's very simple - you can walk into any network operators store (or go on their website) and get a 30 day plan with an allocation of data, usually with prices starting from €5 a month specifically marketed for the iPad which will just work.

I personally use a 3 Ireland PAYG SIM most of the time (Vodafone one is for roaming in certain countries) as you get all you can eat data for 30 days after a 20 euro topup and at the end of that you can queue up 500MB data bundles that are valid for 30 days. My 3G usage is low so I don't need a huge data bundle.

I didn't think the 3G was free but I thought I could use my iPhone's sim with it.
    For the moment, I don't need a data plan because I'm at home. When I start college though, I'll consider it (hopefully I'll be living away from home but that means no free wifi!:()
    I'll ring Vodafone tomorrow. Was too busy the last two days and I don't even think the sim is activated.
    Thanks for the help guys:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I didn't think the 3G was free but I thought I could use my iPhone's sim with it.

You can.

Advertisement