Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bulider damaged my house

Options
  • 12-05-2012 7:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all, we have builders in at the moment and while they were drilling a hole in wall for new fan they badly damaged my kitchen worktop and ceiling. I asked the boss about it and we told the builder was lucky to be alive as he lost control of drill and fell off ladder! He said that this guy was fine though. He also said that he'd put brown filler into the chunks that are missing from worktop. I didn't ask a out ceiling as I didn't see it when I spoke to him last.
    We only just moved into house and the worktop wasn't new but it was fine.
    What are my rights? I know myself brown filler is going to look awful.the builders are back in 2 days time. What could I say as am really unhappy with whole situation.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Depends on your agreement with the builder and whether you had gone through any dilapidations (existing defects/damages to the property which are checked before and after work is carried out) with them before hand.

Best thing is to discuss it with the builder saying you want a new worktop as filler on a worktop is unhygienic and unsightly (and prone to coming loose over time), and also that you want the ceiling fixed. If he's not wiling to accommodate then small claims court?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Filler for the roof would be acceptable to me; on a worktop no thanks!
    Tell him you need a short written account signed by him of what happened because you will claim off your insurance.

Then get back to him and say the insurance said its his responsibility and is he willing to replace that part of the worktop. If he says no, you have a signed document so you can go to small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

I know this isn't how things often work with builders but he should replace the countertop. Just because its not brand new doesn't mean its ok to wreck it and do a shoddy repair job. He probably wouldn't accept that in his own kitchen. Accidental damage or not, its still his responsibility. I'm sure he will try very hard to avoid replacing it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mamaks

Thanks all for advice.going to ask him about ceiling on Monday and tell him I don't want filler put on worktop. See what he says. He is a friend or a friend so all a bit difficult..! Groan!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mamaks wrote: »
    Thanks all for advice.going to ask him about ceiling on Monday and tell him I don't want filler put on worktop. See what he says. He is a friend or a friend so all a bit difficult..! Groan!

He should have his own insurance policy for this kind of problem, so he shouldn't be too concerned over any cost issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement