Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best bin collection lucan

• 12-05-2012 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Hi
    i'm looking for recs for the best bin collection companies in the lucan area, reliable and value for money

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I've used:
    Corpo/Greyhound
    City Bin
    Thorntons

Currently with Thorntons and think they're very good.
    A lot depends on how often you need your black bin collected.
    Thorntons only come once a fortnight.
    I left City Bin because they jacked up their charges and the Corpo/Greyhound guys just fling the bins in the middle of the road and make zero effort in putting the bins back where they got them. They also have a tendency in not turning up in icy or snowy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

thanks for the reply
    once a fortnight is fine for me
    is thorntons cheaper now than citybin then?
    seems like a lot of people on my road are with thorntons so will prob try them

I think it is cheaper by about 50c per lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thorntons is 7.50 per lift plus 50 per year
    Citybin is 8.40 per lift plus 48 per year

If you leave out your grey bin once a month (like me) Citybin will cost you 149 per year, Thorntons will cost you 140

I'm with Citybin since they started in Lucan years ago and they haven't missed a single bin lift. They are very professional (pick up if something falls out of a bin), put the bin back exactly where it was left and don't mind if you have a few additional bags beside your green bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I swapped from Greyhound to Thorntons.
    I did have some issues getting charged for green bin lift but they then credited my account for all the time that happened.
    I got rid of Greyhound as they were often late, left bins in the middle of the road and drove over the grass verge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

I'm with CityBin and pay a set amount per month / year and unlimited lifts. Check out their website as there are several package types. Green / Brown bins are lifted one week and general rubbish the next.

Had no problem with them - once they were slight;y delayed but when I rang they apologised and collected within the hour.

No missed Monday collections that used to happen with the council - had the grey bin waiting for collection for 6 weeks one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Have been with Thorntons since October last year, they're grand. Their customer service is good too - very quick on email.

Previously was with Greyhound, but they had nonexistance customer service by phone/email. When their prices went up hugely and they started double-charging for some lifts, we moved to Thorntons.

Greyhound won't take away their empty bins from the house now as there's some unpaid charge of eur18 on the account - that's in dispute as the account was actually in credit before the final lift. They offer no explanation as to what the eur18 actually relates to and refuse to both countermand it and remove their bins.

As for Citybin, they reversed their truck into a car outside my house here 2 years ago. Had to take them to small claims court to get them to pay for the damage, they were awful to deal with.

So, lucky with the bin companies, I am not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭mar1us

Yeah they are great to sign you in but not to advise you,i was with greyhound and pay that stupid service charge of 60 euro to greyhounds back in okt 2011,now another one 50 euro to thortons but they should advice me to stick with them until okt 2012 while i had pay that,wich btw i tought its once payment now to find out its every year :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

mar1us wrote: »
    Yeah they are great to sign you in but not to advise you,i was with greyhound and pay that stupid service charge of 60 euro to greyhounds back in okt 2011,now another one 50 euro to thortons but they should advice me to stick with them until okt 2012 while i had pay that,wich btw i tought its once payment now to find out its every year :mad:

All the providers charge a service charge now. I'm not trying to be smart but if i ran a business and you were thinking of switching to it i definitely wouldn't be telling you to stay with my competitor for a bit longer,i'd be eager to get you on board asap.

lord lucan wrote: »
    All the providers charge a service charge now. I'm not trying to be smart but if i ran a business and you were thinking of switching to it i definitely wouldn't be telling you to stay with my competitor for a bit longer,i'd be eager to get you on board asap.

Totaly agree with u but don't you think this new service charge and all the new charges like household and next water charge should be more advertise,i mean they can post all sort of **** leaflets but not the one we need,i don't deal with this sort of things on a daly basis so they can advice me,every job has its own secrets ...
    When service charge was implemented all i got was a pice of paper from greyhounds in wich they told me if i don't pay until the end of sept they won't pick up my bins anymore i'l have a look for that and tell you exactly what they say

• Advertisement

This service charge should be availble to bring it with you if change provider same like tv licence,if u ask me its same thing just another new tax ...

Anyone else who is with Thorntons get a text message from them this morning advising them to make sure their account is in credit to avoid disruption to their service?
    I wonder if there has been an increase in the number of people not keeping the accounts topped up sufficiently.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Anyone else who is with Thorntons get a text message from them this morning advising them to make sure their account is in credit to avoid disruption to their service?
    I wonder if there has been an increase in the number of people not keeping the accounts topped up sufficiently.

I've had at least 2 text messages from them to that effect. Seemed a bit strange,i only add money to my a/c when a bin lift is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

With City Bin and we pay 20 a month. That includes 2 black bin collections and 2 green and brown bin collections. Its a big brown bin too which is great for the grass.

But i see greyhound now offer the same service for 15 a month, will ring City bin to see if they match it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I've just changed over to City Bin from Greyhound.I shopped around as Greyhound new charges are daylight robbery, and the letter they sent about the new charges was so misleading. I should have changed years ago.I checked out Thornton's and City Bin. City Bin are by far the cheapest with nearly every plan, should only cost me €162 for the next 12 months , instead €248 for the last 12 month with Greyhound.

I got it twice ...

017yu.png

I'm getting one of them texts each week exactly one week apart. All a bit pointless imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

I got these texts aswell, I just topped up my account by €10 and haven't gotten one since!

I left City Bin when they changed from per lift charge to per weight charge and only gave me 3 days notice, they charged me about €21 for one black bin lift! Wouldn't trust them again. I reported them to the National Consumer Agency due to lack of notice been given to me, the NCA could do nothing due to contract! HATE CITY BIN with a passion now! Thorntons are great though and the less said about Greyhound he better!

van_beano wrote: »
    I left City Bin when they changed from per lift charge to per weight charge and only gave me 3 days notice

What?

I'm with City Bin and only pay per lift. I'm in Lucan.

I'm in Lucan too. This happened about Sept / Oct last year, I was told by them that they were doin away with the per lift charge if you're bin was over 20kg, if it went over that weight it would be a certain charge per kilo, under that weight it was €7.50ish or so, the normal lift charge. I've noticed alright they've 2 options now - lift or weight.

When they told me about the new charges, my bin was already over 20kg and there was to be no more lifts that I could avail of before the new charges came in, so I couldn't start afresh! So it was either pay them about €21 to empty it or try and empty in myself in Ballymount, yuck!

Would actually go back to Greyhound (shudder at the thought) than to ever go back to robbing, cheating people at City Bin! Saying that though he bin service was excellent, but their notifying of charge increases is crappy!

• Advertisement

I'm in Lucan too. This happened about Sept / Oct last year, I was told by them that they were doin away with the per lift charge if you're bin was over 20kg

That must have been some kind of a miscommunication

My bin is always over 50KG and sometimes over 100KG and I only ever pay per lift

unkel wrote: »

That must have been some kind of a miscommunication

My bin is always over 50KG and sometimes over 100KG and I only ever pay per lift

That's gas, it definitely wasn't miscommunication, I was sent the letter informing me of same and I spoke to customer rep a number of times, all telling me about the change. When the bin was lifted I was charged over the €20, I'm gonna try access the online account to see if the record is still there and print a screenshot!

This was e-Mail I received, I've edited out my address and name.....

"RE: MY ADDRESS - Price Change

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Dear NAME,

Back in 2007, we introduced our Home Green Home household waste service in Dublin and we hope you found the service to be more professional and better value for money.

Over four years ago, when The City Bin Co launched our household service, we promised a cheaper, greener and easier option for Dublin households. We remain very committed to these principles. We also made it clear that we will always be the cheapest household waste collector in your area. This is the situation today and will always remain the case.

That said, from 1st August, we will be implementing a price change to your waste collection service. The City Bin Co, and all collectors, is prohibited from accepting very heavy bins from customers (due to local bye-laws, health and safety legislation, etc.). Please note that while an average bin weighs less than 30kg, we have noticed that your bins have been heavy in the past. We will be implementing a charge of 15½ cents per kilo for bins that weight more than 50 kilograms.

Please note that recycling still remains a cheaper and greener alternative to disposing of your waste in landfill. You should therefore continue to operate on the principal that the more you recycle, the less expensive your waste costs will be.

Please call us on freefone 1800 RECYCLE (1800 248924) should you wish to discuss any further.

Finally, I would like to thank you for your continued support of The City Bin Co.

Kind regards,

Hmmm this is one of the reasons I left Citybin for Thorntons in 2010.
    I signed up for a flat fee per lift and they steadfastly refused to honour this and charged me an excess charge once it went over 40kg... i.e. every time I put it out. I had a few arguments with them about this because it did not state this anywhere in the T&Cs I had signed up to.

Eventually I told them to stuff it, parked the bins out the back until my year's contract was up and went to Thorntons.

I'm actually glad to know I'm not the only one that they done this to!

Looks like I got away with it!

A recent bin was 105KG, so that would have cost over €16 based on weight :eek:

I was one of the first in Lucan with citybin and I'm very happy with them, but if they were to charge by weight, I'll be the first to leave!!!

Maybe they abandoned the policy when people started leaving them!

Looks like I got away with it!

A recent bin was 105KG, so that would have cost over €16 based on weight :eek:

I was one of the first in Lucan with citybin and I'm very happy with them, but if they were to charge by weight, I'll be the first to leave!!!

Holy God, what are you putting in the bin? Mercury? :eek:

The reason mine was so heavy was because of the cat litter.

Holy God, what are you putting in the bin? Mercury? :eek:

A typical bin would be filled with about 80% air, that's why it is very light. I remove most of the air from my bin :D

Also all light material (paper / cardboard / plastic / tin) goes in the free recycling bin

• Advertisement

A typical bin would be filled with about 80% air

There's nothing worse than paying to dump air....

I have visions of Unkel with a one-way valve and a hoover sucking all the air out of his bin bags! :D

I'm more of a pusher than a sucker :D

I left City Bin when they changed from per lift charge to per weight charge

I left Greyhound for the same reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Am with Thorntons about 18 months and happy with them. Have had two issues that I had to deal with customer service and both were eventually resolved to my satisfaction.
    Only put black bin out every 6/8 weeks and it is HEAVY when it goes!
    Much prefer pay per lift!

We all like that Lyn256,hope it last ....

• Advertisement

I left City Bin when they changed from per lift charge to per weight charge and only gave me 3 days notice, they charged me about €21 for one black bin lift!

And now City Bin has bullied me away too, sneakily trying to charge me per weight on top of per lift (I never agreed to this)

And I've been their customer since the day they started in Lucan the guts of 10 years ago. That's what you get for being a loyal customer. Thanks, City Bin :rolleyes:

Just cancelled and signed up with Thorntons...

And now City Bin has bullied me away too, sneakily trying to charge me per weight on top of per lift (I never agreed to this)

And I've been their customer since the day they started in Lucan the guts of 10 years ago. That's what you get for being a loyal customer. Thanks, City Bin :rolleyes:

Just cancelled and signed up with Thorntons...

It doesn't seem like 2 years ago since I wrote on this thread! Have been with Thorntons since then, no trouble from them at all, they did put the black bin price up a euro about a year ago and you pay the €50 at the start of the year. I've not be shafted with 3 days notice like City Bin did!

It doesn't seem like 2 years ago since I wrote on this thread! Have been with Thorntons since then, no trouble from them at all, they did put the black bin price up a euro about a year ago and you pay the €50 at the start of the year. I've not be shafted with 3 days notice like City Bin did!

We got a letter from city bin saying we are close to our 50kg per month limit on black bin, anything after that limit we be charged for, rang them and they said sorry and backed down.

Since then we have watch what we put into our bins and we are a family of four with one kid in nappies and our monthly bin weight is not less than 20kg. Brown bin takes so much more these days and its free for us.

We pay city bin 20 euro a month flat fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Doing fine with Thorntons for the past two years myself.

Their Customer Service dept is good - we missed a green bin pickup once (their fault, they mustn't have seen the bin was out). Called them, they popped around the next day to pick it up. Can't say fairer than that !

Our needs are light anyway - green bin every two weeks without fail, black bin every 8 weeks or so, brown bin every 10 weeks +/-

Left City Bin a few months back and went to Greyhound. Have had a few issues with brown bin not being lifted despite sitting on the road beside my grey bin. But overall, I'm happy with them. Especially as it's only €11 per month for the three bins.

• Advertisement

Especially as it's only €11 per month for the three bins.

Still too much, I prefer €9 every 2 months for 2 bins 😎

Still too much, I prefer €9 every 2 months for 2 bins 😎

Who's that with?

Thorntons. €50 up front for the year (they all have a fixed charge these days) plus €9 for every grey bin and €0 for every green bin you put out, no matter what weight they are. No bully tactics like City Bin.

Thorntons. €50 up front for the year (they all have a fixed charge these days) plus €9 for every grey bin and €0 for every green bin you put out, no matter what weight they are. No bully tactics like City Bin.

Still only €20 in the difference there. I Stick the get bin out for every collection. Wouldn't last two months with two kids and two of us. I've no upfront fee with greyhound.

Still only €20 in the difference there. I Stick the get bin out for every collection. Wouldn't last two months with two kids and two of us. I've no upfront fee with greyhound.

3 kids - 2 in nappies, 2 adults here. Easily get 2 months by jumping on it, my rubbish comes out the same shape of the inside of the bin. My last bin was about 168kg, according to the website anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just to bump this thread got a renewal email from Greyhound and they have bumped up the price on black bin collection to 8.40 (was paying 7 euros for the last 12 months), Thorntons seem to be €9 for the black bin per lift and Citybin seem to be cheaper lift but more expensive with the fee over 12 months. Greyhound don't seem to advertise their prices on their website, any idea do they do an all inclusive fixed monthly fee like City Bin?

Just to bump this thread got a renewal email from Greyhound and they have bumped up the price on black bin collection to 8.40 (was paying 7 euros for the last 12 months), Thorntons seem to be €9 for the black bin per lift and Citybin seem to be cheaper lift but more expensive with the fee over 12 months. Greyhound don't seem to advertise their prices on their website, any idea do they do an all inclusive fixed monthly fee like City Bin?

They were doing an offer door to door last year for €11 per month. That's when I signed up. No issues with them other than delays during the strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

We're with greyhound, think we pay €15:50 p/m, only reason we won't change is there's no weight limit on the back bin, and since the boss came along the weight has flown up. Not impressed with them though, had to ring every time our brown bin was supposed to be collected for 4 months last year, as they never collected it.

Who is offering the best rate for pay by weight?

I find it shocking that the brown bin cost is so high considering its organic and cheaper for the companies to handle!

Who is offering the best rate for pay by weight?

I find it shocking that the brown bin cost is so high considering its organic and cheaper for the companies to handle!

I'd stall for another week or so and just see what happens. There's a lot of discontent brewing amongst the public and the Government can sense it. Don't be surprised if it's temporarily postponed subject to a "committee" being formed. It's like the parents (Government) told their kids (waste companies) not to get up to any messing whilst they were in the other room. When the parents weren't looking the kids got up to all this non-sensical messing. Now the parents have realised what they've done they're trying to clean it up the mess.

In answer to your question, it seems that all the weights are being priced the same by the companies, the only savings that can be made is on the service charge. Thorntons are best here at €2 per week compared to Greyhound at €3.25, Citybin in the middle at €2.99. I heard there's certain deals where paying in full up front saves something like €12 or so over the year with Greyhound.

• Advertisement
Advertisement