Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best bin collection lucan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I have visions of Unkel with a one-way valve and a hoover sucking all the air out of his bin bags! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm more of a pusher than a sucker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mar1us

van_beano wrote: »

I left City Bin when they changed from per lift charge to per weight charge

I left Greyhound for the same reason

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Am with Thorntons about 18 months and happy with them. Have had two issues that I had to deal with customer service and both were eventually resolved to my satisfaction.
    Only put black bin out every 6/8 weeks and it is HEAVY when it goes!
    Much prefer pay per lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mar1us

We all like that Lyn256,hope it last ....

• Advertisement

I left City Bin when they changed from per lift charge to per weight charge and only gave me 3 days notice, they charged me about €21 for one black bin lift!

And now City Bin has bullied me away too, sneakily trying to charge me per weight on top of per lift (I never agreed to this)

And I've been their customer since the day they started in Lucan the guts of 10 years ago. That's what you get for being a loyal customer. Thanks, City Bin :rolleyes:

Just cancelled and signed up with Thorntons...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

unkel wrote: »
    And now City Bin has bullied me away too, sneakily trying to charge me per weight on top of per lift (I never agreed to this)

And I've been their customer since the day they started in Lucan the guts of 10 years ago. That's what you get for being a loyal customer. Thanks, City Bin :rolleyes:

Just cancelled and signed up with Thorntons...

It doesn't seem like 2 years ago since I wrote on this thread! Have been with Thorntons since then, no trouble from them at all, they did put the black bin price up a euro about a year ago and you pay the €50 at the start of the year. I've not be shafted with 3 days notice like City Bin did!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It doesn't seem like 2 years ago since I wrote on this thread! Have been with Thorntons since then, no trouble from them at all, they did put the black bin price up a euro about a year ago and you pay the €50 at the start of the year. I've not be shafted with 3 days notice like City Bin did!

We got a letter from city bin saying we are close to our 50kg per month limit on black bin, anything after that limit we be charged for, rang them and they said sorry and backed down.

Since then we have watch what we put into our bins and we are a family of four with one kid in nappies and our monthly bin weight is not less than 20kg. Brown bin takes so much more these days and its free for us.

We pay city bin 20 euro a month flat fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Doing fine with Thorntons for the past two years myself.

Their Customer Service dept is good - we missed a green bin pickup once (their fault, they mustn't have seen the bin was out). Called them, they popped around the next day to pick it up. Can't say fairer than that !

Our needs are light anyway - green bin every two weeks without fail, black bin every 8 weeks or so, brown bin every 10 weeks +/-

Left City Bin a few months back and went to Greyhound. Have had a few issues with brown bin not being lifted despite sitting on the road beside my grey bin. But overall, I'm happy with them. Especially as it's only €11 per month for the three bins.

• Advertisement

Especially as it's only €11 per month for the three bins.

Still too much, I prefer €9 every 2 months for 2 bins 😎

Still too much, I prefer €9 every 2 months for 2 bins 😎

Who's that with?

Thorntons. €50 up front for the year (they all have a fixed charge these days) plus €9 for every grey bin and €0 for every green bin you put out, no matter what weight they are. No bully tactics like City Bin.

unkel wrote: »
    Thorntons. €50 up front for the year (they all have a fixed charge these days) plus €9 for every grey bin and €0 for every green bin you put out, no matter what weight they are. No bully tactics like City Bin.

Still only €20 in the difference there. I Stick the get bin out for every collection. Wouldn't last two months with two kids and two of us. I've no upfront fee with greyhound.

Still only €20 in the difference there. I Stick the get bin out for every collection. Wouldn't last two months with two kids and two of us. I've no upfront fee with greyhound.

3 kids - 2 in nappies, 2 adults here. Easily get 2 months by jumping on it, my rubbish comes out the same shape of the inside of the bin. My last bin was about 168kg, according to the website anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,705 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just to bump this thread got a renewal email from Greyhound and they have bumped up the price on black bin collection to 8.40 (was paying 7 euros for the last 12 months), Thorntons seem to be €9 for the black bin per lift and Citybin seem to be cheaper lift but more expensive with the fee over 12 months. Greyhound don't seem to advertise their prices on their website, any idea do they do an all inclusive fixed monthly fee like City Bin?

Just to bump this thread got a renewal email from Greyhound and they have bumped up the price on black bin collection to 8.40 (was paying 7 euros for the last 12 months), Thorntons seem to be €9 for the black bin per lift and Citybin seem to be cheaper lift but more expensive with the fee over 12 months. Greyhound don't seem to advertise their prices on their website, any idea do they do an all inclusive fixed monthly fee like City Bin?

They were doing an offer door to door last year for €11 per month. That's when I signed up. No issues with them other than delays during the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

We're with greyhound, think we pay €15:50 p/m, only reason we won't change is there's no weight limit on the back bin, and since the boss came along the weight has flown up. Not impressed with them though, had to ring every time our brown bin was supposed to be collected for 4 months last year, as they never collected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Who is offering the best rate for pay by weight?

I find it shocking that the brown bin cost is so high considering its organic and cheaper for the companies to handle!

Who is offering the best rate for pay by weight?

I find it shocking that the brown bin cost is so high considering its organic and cheaper for the companies to handle!

I'd stall for another week or so and just see what happens. There's a lot of discontent brewing amongst the public and the Government can sense it. Don't be surprised if it's temporarily postponed subject to a "committee" being formed. It's like the parents (Government) told their kids (waste companies) not to get up to any messing whilst they were in the other room. When the parents weren't looking the kids got up to all this non-sensical messing. Now the parents have realised what they've done they're trying to clean it up the mess.

In answer to your question, it seems that all the weights are being priced the same by the companies, the only savings that can be made is on the service charge. Thorntons are best here at €2 per week compared to Greyhound at €3.25, Citybin in the middle at €2.99. I heard there's certain deals where paying in full up front saves something like €12 or so over the year with Greyhound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Under the new pay by weight charges, City Bin are working out the cheapest for me but i'm still going to be hit with a 82% increase. If i stay with Greyhound it would be 112% increase. These companies can't be allowed get away with this form of price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,705 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It's a bloody cartel! I'm with Greyhound at the moment really hoping the government stop this before it begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

For me it's the service charge that's the big issue here. As far as I'm aware the move to pay per weight was to encourage people to cut down on waste, which is fair enough, as I am of the opinion that the polluter should pay. However the waste removal companies have introduced and/or massively increased an annual service charge which has nothing to to with the amount of waste they collect. The Government really need to get their act together on this.

I'll keep this open, but there is a brand new forum "Recycling & Domestic Waste Disposal" opened this week, where this is all discussed in great detail. Please haev a look and / or post there too!

The minister said 90% of people will be better off under the new system. How far removed from reality can any politician get? :rolleyes:

The way things stand at least 90% of people will be worse off. Far worse off...

Hopefully this whole malarky will all be ended before it begins. My family of 5 (with Greyhound) would go from €199 per year to over €600 per year and you'll never see a green recycling bin as full as ours. Every collection.

Linky to new forum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I just worked out how much our charges were for the last year and how much they will be now:
    From June last year to June this year, I paid 250
    Under the new scheme, that will go up to 430
    Neither of those include the 100 annual/ 2 weekly service charge.
    So I'm seeing a 70% increase in my lift charges. Yikes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I'm with Thorntons

I paid 162.40 in lift charges in the last 12 months including an annual fee of 50 euro.

With these new changes, based on my bin weights, my new annual bill will rise to 264.05 euro. I break that down to 104 euro per year service charge and 160.05 for actual waste.

There's only me in the house. I am fanatical about recycling everything I can and all food/garden waste goes into the brown bin. My black bin is emptied once every 8 weeks.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement