Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview in Kilkenny

Options
  • 12-05-2012 10:51am
    Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm based up near Dominic St.(close to Garda Station). Wondering how people find the reception and how easy Saorview is to install?

I saw an advert for some fella installing both Saorview and FreeSat so you get over a 100 channels. Has anybody tried that service? Is it expensive?

Any info. anyone has to contribute 'd be much apprectiated!

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Do you have a Saorview compatible tv?

Have you tried tuning in Saorview?

Do you currently have Sky, or is there a Sky dish on your house?

It's possible that you just need to tune in Saorview but it depends on your equipment. For Freesat you need a satellite dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

Far as I know, as long as you can get the stations at the moment on a normal TV, then the Saorview TV or Box will tune in easily enough.

Freesat: Cheapest way is to buy a satellite dish (and I'd suggest one with 4 LNB's so you can connect up 4 TV's), cable etc. The Freesat boxes are cheap (Can get them for £25 approx in the UK, or € 60-€70 here). Get someone handy with mounting the dish on your house, and basically you bring a cable (4 cables if you're going for the 4 LNB's) into your house to whatever room you have the TV in. I came across new Satellite dishes with the 4LNB's , fittings and cables for approx € 30 in a boot sale in Wexford. You'd probably get the same in the Kilkenny Boot Sale out the Callan road on Sundays.

The fellow also had a deal on the Saorview Boxes - Aerial, Cable + Box for € 60 as well.

All you need to do it cheapely the hardware above, and you/someone to put up a dish and if necessary an aerial.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I use an indoor arial for my Saorview. I have a spare saorview box if you'd like to try. We also have the freesat thing, it is worth getting if you don't want to pay sky, bbc and itv are quality. I never watch it though as it's in my parents end of the house and the rte player does me fine as I only watch Eastenders or a comedy going to bed and the soccer. I have the TV hooked up to my computer.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭saspeir

We used to have UPC and then got rid of it. We're not around a whole lot to be watching telly so that's why we thought Saorview 'd be great.

Got a box in Lidl and the parents tried hooking it up and didn't get reception. Now, I have a feeling it could be that the box was situated in an alcove and that's why it didn't get reception as UHF is line of sight.

Just wondering has anyone in the area tried it out? I'll try get round to properly sussing it out when I'm down next. Freesat sounds very good (probably not worth my while with the amount of time I spend in Kilkenny though).

Any more tips and info. much appreciated!

saspeir wrote: »
    Got a box in Lidl and the parents tried hooking it up and didn't get reception.
    Are you getting the analogue channels (RTE1&2, TV3, TG4)?

There is a chance that you will get Saorview from your current set up from October onwards.
    The analogue signal from Mt Leinster transmits to a group A aerial. The current digital (Saorview) signal transmits to a group B aerial. However in October the digital signal will change to a lower channel (group A).

So if you are receiving analogue currently you may have a group A aerial which would explain why you couldn't receive Saorview yet.
    If this is the case you could wait until October or else install a multiband aerial.

(Open to correction but I think that's correct)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Pj! wrote: »
    saspeir wrote: »
    Got a box in Lidl and the parents tried hooking it up and didn't get reception.
    Are you getting the analogue channels (RTE1&2, TV3, TG4)?

There is a chance that you will get Saorview from your current set up from October onwards.
    The analogue signal from Mt Leinster transmits to a group A aerial. The current digital (Saorview) signal transmits to a group B aerial. However in October the digital signal will change to a lower channel (group A).

So if you are receiving analogue currently you may have a group A aerial which would explain why you couldn't receive Saorview yet.
    If this is the case you could wait until October or else install a multiband aerial.

(Open to correction but I think that's correct)

I thought you needed a digital arial, they're only about €15. I know I have to put my arial in the window pointed at Mt. Leinster or it won't work.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

II know I have to put my arial in the window pointed at Mt. Leinster or it won't work.

I thought you needed a digital arial, they're only about €15. I know I have to put my arial in the window pointed at Mt. Leinster or it won't work.

You need a UHF aerial. We all have them already from the analogue set up. Most people in the country can just tune in Saorview without any changes but in Kilkenny some (those with Group A aerials) won't be able until October.

If you have a Group B aerial now for Saorview it probably won't work come October. If you have a multiband aerial it's fine as they cover all frequencies.

Advertisement