Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem: clematis chiisanensis lemon bells

Options
  • 12-05-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi

I have a clematis chiisanensis lemon bells, well established, but closely planted to a Virginia creeper. They are both about 10 years old and have grown to a height of 2m. My problem is the Virginia Creeper seems to be choking the clematis. So right now, the clematis is only blooming at the very top - there are no shoots and it's totally woody up to almost the top. If I cut both of them back to the ground after flowering, would that save the clematis? My preference is to save the clematis over the V Creeper. Would appreciate any advice.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a chance - apparently its about 50/50 - that if you cut a clematis back that severely you will lose it. I cut three back in similar circumstances, one survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Thanks Looksee
    I think I'll leave it for this season and see if any more bells grow on it. If not, I'll take the risk and cut right back, as at the moment, I can't see the flowers, so no point in having it. It's very woody up to about 1.5m so not particularly attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its hard to know, one of the ones that died had previously been cut hard back and had sprouted, but then died the last time.

The one that has survived and is going great has a bare woody stem about 4ft tall and is sprouting from the angle between a branch and the trunk, the first one I mentioned did this too. So, completely unscientifically I suggest you leave a bit of branch if you possibly can as this seems to be where new sprouts come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

OK Looksee. I'll give that a go. It would be a shame to lose it. Thanks

Advertisement