Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog issues with neighbours

• 12-05-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Neighbours have started calling to the door and cirulating letters to all the houses in the estate about dogs fouling on the green area.
    They insist that it is completely forbidden for a dog to foul in a public place

Now i understand the law states it is allowed if i clean it up which i do most times(she gets out sometimes)

Also when i take her out i dont take her on a lead but she still obeys me so is that enough "control"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

depending on your breed of dog it it may not have to be on a lead, if a RB it has to be but if not its fine as long as its under control and does what you say.

My pointer is never on a lead, hedoes be out with me and the kids in the garden or on the green andif someone is coming with their dog on a lead i call mine over and tell him to sit which he always does and will not move until i tell him he can. the reaction of some twats, iv had tutting :rolleyes: and people cross the road! usually these peoples dogs are barking and pulling onthe lead to go over to my lad who is sitting there behaving but they still give me dirty looks:rolleyes: ignore your neighbour about that imo

i always have a shovel in the front garden when we are out and pick up any mess my dog does while out. you can be fined up to 3k iirc so it is worth keeping a good eye plus if there is kids playing there its a definate must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

'most times' really isn't good enough. Do you have a garden, if so let the dog toilet there instead of out on the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

planetX wrote: »
    'most times' really isn't good enough. Do you have a garden, if so let the dog toilet there instead of out on the green.

Constructive answers only please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm being constructive:confused: My dog poos in the garden - I clean it up, and if I don't I end up cleaning **** off shoes. No-one else involved. What's your problem with that?

planetX wrote: »
    I'm being constructive:confused: My dog poos in the garden - I clean it up, and if I don't I end up cleaning **** off shoes. No-one else involved. What's your problem with that?

I have no problem with you cleaning **** off your shoes:D
    The dog plays with the neighbours kids around the estate hence why i miss bits, I wont keep her in the back garden because that's no life for a dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

As someone who has lived on an estate where a neighbour used to let their boxer bitch roam and sh*t in the green and in everyone's gardens I can understand their frustration. In my case a good 75% of the houses here had young children too and naturally enough they were all concerned about a large dog roaming completely uncontrolled and unsupervised as well as pissed off about the dog sh*t everywhere.

So being honest so far from my understanding of your posts I would be on your neighbour's side. Maybe the wording of the letter wasn't great, no it's not illegal to allow a dog to crap in a public place, but it is illegal to not pick it up. Now I could be reading your posts completely wrong and apologies if I am and correct me but from my understanding you let your dog out for a run around, are you always outside with her watching her? How often is 'most times' and does she go into other people's gardens or just the green?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

Some neighbours can go over the top. Last year when I came back from Holidays (10 days) there was letters in my letter box from the housing committee complaining about my dogs excessive barking and he had been in Kennels all that time. When I took them to task it turned out it was someone elses dog but no apology.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    As someone who has lived on an estate where a neighbour used to let their boxer bitch roam and sh*t in the green and in everyone's gardens I can understand their frustration. In my case a good 75% of the houses here had young children too and naturally enough they were all concerned about a large dog roaming completely uncontrolled and unsupervised as well as pissed off about the dog sh*t everywhere.

So being honest so far from my understanding of your posts I would be on your neighbour's side. Maybe the wording of the letter wasn't great, no it's not illegal to allow a dog to crap in a public place, but it is illegal to not pick it up. Now I could be reading your posts completely wrong and apologies if I am and correct me but from my understanding you let your dog out for a run around, are you always outside with her watching her? How often is 'most times' and does she go into other people's gardens or just the green?

She doesn't go in peoples gardens, i don't be outside all the time, the door does be open and she'd usually be lying in the hall or if sunny just outside the door, it is a very small minority, 2 to be exact who made themselves head of the "residents committee", The kids do call to play with the dog, funnily enough she is a female boxer:)

digit1 wrote: »
    Some neighbours can go over the top. Last year when I came back from Holidays (10 days) there was letters in my letter box from the housing committee complaining about my dogs excessive barking and he had been in Kennels all that time. When I took them to task it turned out it was someone elses dog but no apology.

Kinda the same, my dog was "named" whilst there is other dogs out roaming around too
    The letter i received said dog fouling on the green areas is forbidden so anymore i'll take her out on a lead on the footpaths in front of these peoples houses and let her foul there, then clean it up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Or you could be a decent neighbour and realise that a dog out running loose is likely to foul where and when it likes. Seriously, I don't blame them for being annoyed. You ought to keep your dog on your own property unless you are with her.

• Advertisement

Or you could be a decent neighbour and realise that a dog out running loose is likely to foul where and when it likes. Seriously, I don't blame them for being annoyed. You ought to keep your dog on your own property unless you are with her.

Have done so since the letter last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

darokane wrote: »
    Kinda the same, my dog was "named" whilst there is other dogs out roaming around too
    The letter i received said dog fouling on the green areas is forbidden so anymore i'll take her out on a lead on the footpaths in front of these peoples houses and let her foul there, then clean it up:D

And exactly what point are you trying to prove in doing so? That you've an attitude problem?

You're just making dog owners look like dícks to be honest. "Most times" is not sufficient. The rest of the locality have a right to a clean green to use and you not bothering to go out and clean up after your dog is YOUR problem and they have every right to complain about your inability to take responsibility. You say there are kids about, which means you should be particularly keen to make sure that your dogs litter is picked up.

Kids can stumble into it, track it into houses and more, how do you think that makes you and other dog owners look?

Your dog should not be roaming or left under the supervision of the local "kids" either.

Grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Then there shouldn't be any problems. A lot of greens and pitches and so forth are flat out against dogs on them because not all owners are decent enough to clean up after their animals and it's a nightmare for kids and players. Understandably though a dog also needs to be able to exercise, so it's a matter of compromise. Perhaps walk your dog until she evacuates and then let her run and play with you keeping an eye on her?

And exactly what point are you trying to prove in doing so?

That i'm perfectly entitled to do so, Pass on your self righteous advice to someone else please:rolleyes:

Perhaps walk your dog until she evacuates and then let her run and play with you keeping an eye on her?

Best piece of advice i could get, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

That i'm perfectly entitled to do so, Pass on your self righteous advice to someone else please:rolleyes:
    Well, aren't you a charming little man?

Your crap amounts to the same as children who punch or flick the air in front of other children's faces and go "not hitting you so I'm allowed do this, your fault if you walk into it neener neener neener".

Going by your attitude, I'm sure your neighbour's have numerous others issues with you than just your dogs litter.

Again, grow up little boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Make sure you have a license for the dog OP as well as a chip and tag. Sounds like it's only a matter of time before the warden will be called to pick up the roaming dogs. Proper order tbh.

Well, aren't you a charming little man?

Your crap amounts to the same as children who punch or flick the air in front of other children's faces and go "not hitting you so I'm allowed do this, your fault if you walk into it neener neener neener".

Going by your attitude, I'm sure your neighbour's have numerous others issues with you than just your dogs litter.

Again, grow up little boy.

Very presumptuous of you:rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »
    Make sure you have a license for the dog OP as well as a chip and tag. Sounds like it's only a matter of time before the warden will be called to pick up the roaming dogs. Proper order tbh.

My dog roams no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog roams no more

Sit back then and wait for the posse to come knocking on your door again and you can tell them it's not your dog ;)
    This reminded me of an episode of the Zoo that was on the other day - they put glitter on one of the rhino's food so they could ID it's poo lol! :pac: It could come in handy for cases of false acpoosations :pac:

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Sit back then and wait for the posse to come knocking on your door again and you can tell them it's not your dog ;)
    This reminded me of an episode of the Zoo that was on the other day - they put glitter on one of the rhino's food so they could ID it's poo lol! :pac: It could come in handy for cases of false acpoosations :pac:

:DI will dye her food green

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

It's pretty disgusting NOT to pick up after your own dog, especially where kids are playing. Loads of young kids play on the green in front of our house and when they're running around messing it'd be very easy for one of them to end up head first on the grass!
    They could get a nasty eye infection if there happened to be a pile of dog poo there.

Mine prefer to use our back garden as their toilet anyway:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

See, if it was me I would be more worried about my dog getting knocked down rather than where it poos if it got out. This is why my dogs never go out by themselves, or with the neighbourhood children.

My dog is well trained, she wont get knocked down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

dog poo can cause blindness......for that reason alone ....they should be kept on a lead....and all poo cleaned up by the owner.........

dog poo can cause blindness......for that reason alone ....they should be kept on a lead....and all poo cleaned up by the owner.........

cheers for the great input

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

magentas wrote: »
    It's pretty disgusting NOT to pick up after your own dog, especially where kids are playing. Loads of young kids play on the green in front of our house and when they're running around messing it'd be very easy for one of them to end up head first on the grass!
    They could get a nasty eye infection if there happened to be a pile of dog poo there.

Mine prefer to use our back garden as their toilet anyway:D

I think the OP is trolling.

It has not been acceptable to let dogs have the run of an area for years, and picking up after dog poo is the norm.

Nappy bags are great for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

In the op's defence they have already replied saying their dog no longer roams free and said they clean up after their dog... A few smart comments may have come after than but..

+1 on nappy bags.. funny thing is they smell better and are cheaper than doggy bags....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I'm sorry but I think that's a rediculous connection! Just because a dog is off lead does not mean the owner is irresponsible and will allow their dog to poo everywhere and not clean it up!
    You're honestly saying that BECAUSE DOG POO CAN CAUSE BLINDNESS...ALL DOGS SHOULD BE ALWAYS KEPT ON A LEAD?!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

magentas wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I think that's a rediculous connection! Just because a dog is off lead does not mean the owner is irresponsible and will allow their dog to poo everywhere and not clean it up!
    You're honestly saying that BECAUSE DOG POO CAN CAUSE BLINDNESS...ALL DOGS SHOULD BE ALWAYS KEPT ON A LEAD?!:confused:

i am suggesting nothing.......i am saying what could happen.....what you do with your dog is up to you.............you don't live near my kids.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement