Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backwards Compatability PC 3200/400 ram for Dell Dimension 4600

Options
  • 12-05-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi ~All

1st post here and hopefully someone might be able to help answer this for me.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 that I got for cheap from popular site. Need to upgrade the ram but not fully sure if the ram i'm looking at will work with the comp as i'm fairly new to upgrades.

I've looked at prices for the actual ram type currently installed on my machine which is PC2700 DDR 333 Dimm but they are very expensive.

It says on the dell website that my board can support either PC2700 or PC3200. I'm just wondering if I would get away with using PC3200/400? Will it cause probs or will it be ok backwards compatible and run at the lower speed (333)?

The main reason behind me looking to buy this ram is the price, cheapest price i've found for 1GB pc2700 DDR 333 dimm i've found is about €30-€40. I can get this 2GB pack from hardwareversand for €39.96 (excluding del). Just want to be sure that it will be ok.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/400+Mhz/4953/2GB+DDR+Corsair+PC3200+400+CL+3+Corsair+Valueselect+Kit.article

My FSB is Running @ 533.

Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement