Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing an online membership system

Options
  • 12-05-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I'm planning on developing an online membership system for a sporting organisation that i'm involved in.
    Basically the main functionality I'm looking for is a user to be able to register all the members of their club, and each year be able to re-register ppl that were members the previous year and to be able to add new members. The other thing for the users is to be able to enter their members into competitions as they come up. These will be added from the admin side. The administrators then would be able to view all registered members.

The database I'm using is with an online hosting company and is phpMyAdmin - 2.11.11.3.

Is my best bet to use Php to design the system or should I look into another language which would be more efficient for my needs.

I have a good knowledge of Java & Php. they would be the main languages i know but have no problem trying to teach myself new languages.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

phpMyAdmin isn't a database, it's a PHP frontend to MySQL databases. With no offense intended, if you were ready to develop a system like that proposed, you would know this.

I'd recommend using an existing application rather than reinventing the wheel. Perhaps look into using WordPress (google) as a platform, there should be at least one plugin with the capability you're looking for, or similar that can be hacked to your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Something like Teamer(http://teamer.net/) might be a better alternative to developing and maintaining your own system.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

duffman85 wrote: »
    Something like Teamer(http://teamer.net/) might be a better alternative to developing and maintaining your own system.:)

Had a look at it and its not what i'm looking for at all.
    dahamsta wrote: »
    I'd recommend using an existing application rather than reinventing the wheel. Perhaps look into using WordPress (google) as a platform, there should be at least one plugin with the capability you're looking for, or similar that can be hacked to your needs.

I've built a system before using phpMyAdmin, but there wasn't as much interaction needed from the website previously. Its using that database managment system that i'm looking at because thats whats offered by the site which I have hosting with already.

I must try having a look at plugin's that might be available through wordpress and see if they will meet my requirements or be able to be changed. Not something I had considered previously. Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I'm planning on developing an online membership system for a sporting organisation that i'm involved in.
    Basically the main functionality I'm looking for is a user to be able to register all the members of their club, and each year be able to re-register ppl that were members the previous year and to be able to add new members. The other thing for the users is to be able to enter their members into competitions as they come up. These will be added from the admin side. The administrators then would be able to view all registered members.

The database I'm using is with an online hosting company and is phpMyAdmin - 2.11.11.3.

Is my best bet to use Php to design the system or should I look into another language which would be more efficient for my needs.

I have a good knowledge of Java & Php. they would be the main languages i know but have no problem trying to teach myself new languages.

Hi there Bored Accountant!

First off, are you doing this for education/hobby or for a commercial purpose? If the latter then it might be a good idea to get someone with experience on board..

Otherwise, PHP and MSSQL are as good a tool set as any other for doing this task. A good starting point is to design a solid data model for the application, this will make coding much easier when you get to coding...

I find www.lynda.com to be a great source of learning material for this kind of development - a subscription will cost you $25 per month.

If I can be of any help feel free to PM me.

Jim2007 (Another Accountant!!!)

dahamsta wrote: »
    phpMyAdmin isn't a database, it's a PHP frontend to MySQL databases. With no offense intended, if you were ready to develop a system like that proposed, you would know this.

Just because someone does not know a particular tool, does not mean that they do not have the basic skills needed to tackle the project. They may have experience of technologies that will help them make a quick transition....

I'd never heard of PHPAdmin myself until a couple of months ago and yet I've spend over 25 years working in software development... DB2 and Oracle were the databases I'd worked with...

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »

First off, are you doing this for education/hobby or for a commercial purpose? If the latter then it might be a good idea to get someone with experience on board..

Otherwise, PHP and MSSQL are as good a tool set as any other for doing this task. A good starting point is to design a solid data model for the application, this will make coding much easier when you get to coding...

Well hobby as much as anything. Just want to set up a system instead of having to deal with loads of excel sheets for the position i've been elected to.

I have a fair idea of all the functionality that i'm planning on putting into the system as i've been putting thought into it for the past month or so. So i'm not just jumping straight into writing code and seeing where it leads.

Cheers Jim!!

NP, think about using something like Visio to diagram the relationships etc... and if you want I'll take a look at them.....

Jim2007 wrote: »
    NP, think about using something like Visio to diagram the relationships etc... and if you want I'll take a look at them.....

I've used that before I think. Its good to put together flow charts and that aswell

Advertisement