Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A pub with good food and music you can talk over

Options
  • 12-05-2012 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭

I don't really go out that much in Waterford anymore, I am looking for a few tips on were to go, just for a relaxing few and a chat.

Is there anywhere, only place that you could go to, that had a few people in it was Geoff's but the past few times we've tried it, it was cold and the music is too loud, and the place empties out not after the food is finished.

You'd think they'd put a few speakers behind the bar for the bar staff - they wouldn't drive everyone out of the place by 10 o clock then. They could turn the volume down I suppose, people are always complaining about it - but the won't - a couple of the staff got rightly narky with a lad who asked them to turn it down a little bit :eek:

I was out a couple of weeks ago, a nice gang of us, we went to Geoff's, had something to eat and settled in for a few drinks and a bit of banter - however - once 9 o clock came, the volume went up and you couldn't hear a word anyone was saying - it completely killed the atmosphere - it was s*1t.

By 10.30 the crowd started to dwindle off, we were going to sit out the back but it was freezing, so we ended up going back to someones house - again.

I want to go out - can't stand the thought of another house party - so where can I go - any help greatly appreciated. Most of the people I go out with live all over the place, everyone drinks, so nowhere we'd have to drive too.

Geoff's and the f**king booming speakers, killing the nights out and it's hand for the taxis :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

So just an anti-Geoffs rant so? I'd say somewhere a bit more off the beaten track like Katy Barrys or the Munster Bar..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

We went to the front lounge on Sunday and the live music was great and just loud enough you could hear the whole group. Could have just been how the band were set up. Failing that I'd agree with membersonly and try a few pubs that side of town.

It's a real old man thing to admit but I don't like it when music is too loud either.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

totally understand where your coming from. i used to be a Geoff's head. myself and a few girls left because of the "bad" taste in music rather than it being too loud. We went to Revolution and Kazbar a few nights lately for some food and drinks. great craic in both venues. Recently we eat on a sat night in Rev or Espresso on a budget of about €10- €15 and then to Mojo Lounge. The other half is in love with their range of mad beers, myself and the girls just like the old skool music and the chilled atmosphere. Hope Geoff's cop on soon, but i wouldn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

ziedth wrote: »
    We went to the front lounge on Sunday and the live music was great and just loud enough you could hear the whole group. Could have just been how the band were set up. Failing that I'd agree with membersonly and try a few pubs that side of town.

It's a real old man thing to admit but I don't like it when music is too loud either.

I never liked it when the music is so loud you can't hear yourself think.

Eagan's used to be notorious for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I used to love Geoffs but once the music goes up my interest in the place goes down. Three Shippes is nice enough for food and is a place you'd always get a seat and the music is never too loud either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Justin_Brophey

batm!ke wrote: »
    I used to love Geoffs but once the music goes up my interest in the place goes down. Three Shippes is nice enough for food and is a place you'd always get a seat and the music is never too loud either.
    Sals or the yellow house some spots boy

Sals or the yellow house some spots boy

Sals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Sals is on the quay

here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

The Exchange is a nice place imo, nice calm atmosphere in there and fairly big aswell!

(Not sure if they do food though, don't think so..)

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Sals is on the quay

here

Is that the pub that has the dockers license?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

yeah I think so...i think the drinking starts pretty early in there

Typhoon. wrote: »
    yeah I think so...i think the drinking starts pretty early in there

I was in there once before years back. whats the place like now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I'll never go into Geoffs again, one of their oldest barstaff was sacked recently, he was treated disgracefully.
    The pub has lost all the identity that made it a great pub, the place has no soul anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

So just an anti-Geoffs rant so? I'd say somewhere a bit more off the beaten track like Katy Barrys or the Munster Bar..

Hardly, given that when we go out, (rare enough in fairness, and getting worse) the consensus is generally Geoffs ?? They could just put speakers behind the bar and the bar staff wouldn't be running the customers out the door.

I don't live in town and when I make the effort and pay €50 in taxi fares, I like to go somewhere that has a few people in it, even better if they are people I know, I like going out and the chat, etc, but because there isn't anywhere other than Geoff's left for anykind of a large group to go to - I don't understand why the management is killing it. Really I am looking for somewhere else to go OR I am hoping the manager of Geoff's might show a bit of common sense - but I doubt they will.

Thanks for the alternatives, now just to talk people into giving them a try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The sound in Geoffs deteriorated when someone persuaded him to take out the old HiFi speakers (which were lovely quality KEFs, Missions etc) and put in a 'proper' sound system.

For 'proper' read too loud, too much top end, too much boomy bass.

There also needs to be a bit of discipline behind the bar when it comes to the music - the content is good but the bar staff seem to think that it needs to be loud.

Big mistake - especially when the Geoff's demographic is traditionally NOT kids. Its people who want to have a few drinks and talk with their companions. How can we do that when this 'proper' sound system is so loud you can't hear the person next to you?

Such a pity that something so easy to get right is being done so wrong, and has caused the place to lose its previous good atmosphere.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

anyone who has ever drunk in Geoffs at any point since he took it over will tell you that the bar staff (with one or two exceptions) have always seen themselves as gods, played the music they want and as loud as it suits them. Hasn't changed in nearly 30 years. It's the culture of the place and we're now into the 2nd generation of people making the same complaint.

+1 for Sals. Nothing fancy but a lovely little pub with a great vibe, courteous staff and cheap beer. If you go there any night when there's live music it will always be good and of mixed genre. I don't do pubs in Waterford that often but Sals is the closest I have to a local.

Advertisement