Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure house security

Options
  • 12-05-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Basically I have a number of questions of what stuff to buy to improve home security

1. I want to buy a security camera system that can record and view live at the same time

2. I want to buy something to make it very hard for my rolling door to be opened by a burgalar.

3. I want some recommended pad locks that can be hard to open on a shed door.

4. I would like a light by my rolling door that can turn on by itself, but only if you want it to turn on by itself.

5. And a alarm may be good aswell

Thanks for reading this and sorry for the long questions.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

RobitTV wrote: »
    Basically I have a number of questions of what stuff to buy to improve home security

1. I want to buy a security camera system that can record and view live at the same time

2. I want to buy something to make it very hard for my rolling door to be opened by a burgalar.

4. I would like a light by my rolling door that can turn on by itself, but only if you want it to turn on by itself.

Regarding the roller garage door and it being lifted by a thief,buy and install an anti-lift ground anchor.

Its basicly an eyebolt that goes securely into the ground,the garage door drops ontop of it and then you slide a padlock through it.Its an internal system so a thief cannot get access to it from the outside.

Simples.:)

HKC is a very good alarm system,fit PIR motion sensors and a shock sensor too and also fit a Sabb cage to prevent the external bell box being tampered with.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your looking at alarms shop around. There are a number of good systems with lots of good features these days. Siemens are about the best IMO. A trusted brand with lots of extra features.
    Always get about 3 quotes and always ensure you compare like with like.
    I would only bother with an SAB cage if the bell is down low like on a single story house or ground floor apartment. If its up high is OTT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thieves do tend to use ladders though....(from small step ladder to a propper big extending ladder).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How many residential alarms do you see with cages??
    It OTT . Not that many thieves use ladders actually. The majority of break ins happen via the rear or side downstairs. Where access is gained upstairs its usually via an accessible window from a single story roof.
    Likewise the only bell boxes I have ever seen tampered with are accessible in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

what does anyone think about using fake cctv cameras on your house, to act as a deterrent

• Advertisement

It depends on how fake it looks. Some of them are fairly obvious.
    Especially the ones with the big red flashing LED.
    If you want a deterrent buy the real housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

hows about something like this, although i don't know about its blinking light you advise about avoiding

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/realistic-dummy-surveillance-security-camera-w-blinking-red-led-purple-3-x-aa-104176?item=18

They don't look too bad except for this:
    Red LED blinks every 5 seconds, just like real security cameras
    What real security cameras have a flashing LED???
    I suppose you could leave the batteries out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

RobitTV wrote: »

If this is for a self install have a look at the suppliers list for equipment for CCTV, alarms and the security light. The HKC system is another good system, you dont say if the house is wired or not. The HKC Securewave system is a hybrid control panel which means it can take wired and wire free detectors. If just going the wire free route the HKC Quantum is fully wire less with one hard wire zone. Has a built in dialer also for self monitoring of the alarm system.

Advertisement