Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA3 SSD running at SATA2?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Bought a OCZ Agility 3 256GB SATA3 SSD about a month and a half ago and soon after buying it I realized my read/write speeds were not up to scratch. I think it may be running in SATA 2 instead of SATA 3, as seen in the screenshot taken in the attached images, it seems to be restricted to a maximum of 250MB even though its marked to run at a max of 550MB/s.

Also, HD Tune shows what looks like spikes of speeds up to 350 MB/s when testing for only a second or two and then lowering back down to the 200MB range. If it helps for troubleshooting, I also have a SATA 2 500GB internal hard drive running alongside this. Maybe I haven't set it up correctly.

My spec is in the signature below except I have now updated my PSU to a XFX PRO 850W model. Thanks in advance! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Are you booting in AHCI or IDE mode? You may have a problem booting if you change the setting in the BIOS if you've installed your OS in IDE mode. If you have, Google "Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation" there are fixes for this around (assuming your running Win7).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

-Make sure its AHCI mode.
    -Did you connected to at SATA3 port?
    -Check to see if you have the latest SATA drivers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

oisin wrote: »
    Are you booting in AHCI or IDE mode? You may have a problem booting if you change the setting in the BIOS if you've installed your OS in IDE mode. If you have, Google "Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation" there are fixes for this around (assuming your running Win7).

AHCI mode as default from installation.
    deconduo wrote: »
    -Make sure its AHCI mode.
    -Did you connected to at SATA3 port?
    -Check to see if you have the latest SATA drivers here.

All 6 internal SATA ports are SATA3. I have the latest SATA and chipset drivers from AMD themselves not from the gigabyte site, as they're a little behind although you could be right on the compatibility side of things. I also have the latest BIOS.

On a side note in case someone asks, I don't see why it could be the wires on the board, as they are all SATA3 therefore why supply me with SATA2 wires? Also scanned for viruses, no sign. I don't know... Very confused! :confused: and thanks anyway for suggestions! :pac: Keep them coming! :D

EDIT: SORRY! I've just wasted your time. Tryed CrystalDiskMark just there. I was doing random writes. Which on the agility 3 is cut in half compared to the vertex 3 of the same calibre. Sequential read/writes are at the SATA3 standard. My sincerest Apologies!

Advertisement