Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New monitors

• 12-05-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm in the market for some new monitors and I was hoping to get some suggestions from you guys.

At the moment I have the KRK Rokit 8's and they're ok, but I'm not mad on them. It just doesn't feel like they're that accurate.

I was toying with the idea of getting some second hand ns10's, but I've read that they're not that suitable for bass heavy dance music. (I make garagey, dubstep kinda stuff. And also techno and house). Then I thought about getting hs80's since they've a better bass response, but I'm just not 100% sold on them yet.

I'd say my budget is up to a grand, so if anyone has any recommendations around that mark i'd really appreciate it.

(I might also start recording bands though soon, so it would be nice if they suited both that side and the electronic side)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

All active monitors will emphasize some frequency, they very seldom work on a flat frequency, you could try tuning them to your room with a graphic EQ. might be cheaper option and this might be your problem.

These are what I use http://www.thomann.de/ie/adam_a77x_a_b_stock.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Genelec 8020 are pretty nice - actives with incredible precision on the bass end. Can be backed up with a matching sub later if you want the whole deal.

The are physically tiny, but loud enough to make you deaf in moments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Have you tried the KRK VXT6s? I had a pair before from work, ie. I admit I'm biased but i really enjoyed them. They are totally different to the RP6/RP8s and their bass response would be suitable for the type of music you're producing. They'd be within your budget also, at about €850 or less. Here's a link: VXT6 and you might be able to try them out, in X Music. Cheers.

Sound on Sound review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/articles/krkvxt6vxt8.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Whatever you end up getting.. get something similar in size to the HS80's.

I've the HS50's.. and want to get something bigger now cos the smaller speaker starts tailing down from 55hz pretty much.

I didnt appreciate it at the time.. but experience has made me realise that I should have got something with an extended freq. response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

The focal cms range is pretty cool, I'm no expert but I really like mine anyway. They get great reviews too! For 1,000, you could get the cms50 ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ArtyZiffsAfro

Are you planning on selling those KRK Rokit 8's ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I think It's time for me to buy some studio monitors.:eek:

I've been reading a lot about the
    Behringer
    TRUTH B3030A's and
    Krk Rp6G2's

A lot of people have been saying they're both very good. I'm confused about which I should get, they both cost roughly the same for a pair.

Also I'll need an audio interface. I've been looking at the
    FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i2 INTERFACE
    and the Cakewalk Fa-66 Firewire Audio Interface

The Cakewalk Fa-66 is about €200 more compared to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which is about €150. They both have 0 latency so should I just get the cheaper one? I honestly have no idea how to tell which is better except for latency. :pac:

It's a good bit of money so I want to make the right decision.

Anyone with any experience with either of those or anyone who has some good information please let me know. :D Thanks!

Are you using a windows machine or a mac?

What kind of stuff will you be doing, eg will you be recording any live music (needing mics etc, loads of inputs) or will you be doing all of your producing inside the computer?

A lot of people recommend the yamaha hs50m speakers.

I would probably be in favour of putting more money into the speakers and less into the interface because the speakers would be perhaps the most important bit of equipment (other than your ears), although you obviously want decent converters at the same time.

paulo6891 wrote: »
    Are you using a windows machine or a mac?

What kind of stuff will you be doing, eg will you be recording any live music (needing mics etc, loads of inputs) or will you be doing all of your producing inside the computer?

A lot of people recommend the yamaha hs50m speakers.

I would probably be in favour of putting more money into the speakers and less into the interface because the speakers would be perhaps the most important bit of equipment (other than your ears), although you obviously want decent converters at the same time.

I'm using a Windows machine. Well as far as I know, for now all I will be doing is producing music from the PC, I may use a mic in the future though for making funky voice samples. Right, I'm gonna have a look in the Yamaha hs50m's and see what the story is with them. Yeah you're right about spending more on the monitors rather than the audio interface, would you recommend any in particular?

Cheers man :)

What kind of budget do you have?

Yamaha and KRK would probably be among the most popular speakers out there. Blue Sky monitors get god reviews reviews. I had a pair and recently upgraded them as I wasnt using the sub but they were very good and for that price are probably worth consideration. They include a subwoofer, whether that is good or bad for you depends on personal preferences.

Here's a link to a review on the hs50m. Actually I like music radar as you can find reviews on pretty much anything.

http://beta.musicradar.com/gear/all/recording/monitors/hs50m-16849/review

http://beta.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/14-recommended-studio-monitor-speakers-233378/3

• Advertisement

paulo6891 wrote: »
    What kind of budget do you have?

Yamaha and KRK would probably be among the most popular speakers out there. Blue Sky monitors get god reviews reviews. I had a pair and recently upgraded them as I wasnt using the sub but they were very good and for that price are probably worth consideration. They include a subwoofer, whether that is good or bad for you depends on personal preferences.

Here's a link to a review on the hs50m. Actually I like music radar as you can find reviews on pretty much anything.

http://beta.musicradar.com/gear/all/recording/monitors/hs50m-16849/review

http://beta.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/14-recommended-studio-monitor-speakers-233378/3

Wow I'm liking the hs50m's, although the frequency response starts at 55khz. I've got around €600 - €800 to spend on monitors and an audio interface (trying to go as cheap as possible obviously) so that's not to bad and the fact that the hsm50's are very cheap for what they offer in quality is a nice deal!

I'd obviously love to get those Genelecs but they're a bit pricey compared to the hs50m.

I'm gonna wait another week before I make my final decision but for now it's gonna be the hs50m's and probably the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface.

Thanks mate! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

I'd second the KRK VXT6's, I find them great for low end. I have a set of NS10's I rarely use also as the 6's are a pretty good all rounder. Once ya know your room and ya have it reasonably well treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Whoops! I completely forgot I started this thread and I never subscribed so I didn't notice all the replies! Sorry guys!

Thanks for all the input! I'm gonna look into the Genelec 8020's and possibly the Adam A7x's. I have some experience with the 8020's and they definitely have the power, for their size!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 digitalfunk

maybe invest in a good sound card and headphones too

Advertisement