Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting question

• 12-05-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could explain this to me. I'm doing 2010 q1 which is a sole trader. One of the adjustments is 'the advertising payment is towards a 24 month campaign which began on 1/10/2009.' the figure in the trial balance is €2400. The answer is €300 in profit and loss and €2100 in balance sheet.
    Can anyone explain how you get this? The way I've done it is taking the €2400 as the total and getting the 3 for this year. Is this correct?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Just wondering if anyone could explain this to me. I'm doing 2010 q1 which is a sole trader. One of the adjustments is 'the advertising payment is towards a 24 month campaign which began on 1/10/2009.' the figure in the trial balance is €2400. The answer is €300 in profit and loss and €2100 in balance sheet.
    Can anyone explain how you get this? The way I've done it is taking the €2400 as the total and getting the 3 for this year. Is this correct?
    Thanks.
    Three months is for this year so that's an expense.
    The remaining 21 months are prepaid so its a current asset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Thanks.

What's the year end date? 31/12/2009?

If so, it's €2,400 / 24months * 3months = €300 Advertising Expense in the P&L for the year.

The remaining €2,100 goes to the balance sheet as Advertising Prepaid (current asset.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Thanks for the quick replies. Thought it was that just wasn't totally sure. Thanks!

Advertisement