Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long did you wait between pregnancies?

Options
  • 12-05-2012 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm dying to have another baby, I didn't have a family growing up, I was very lucky to get the husband i have and we just had a lovely little boy, I'm all over the place after the birth but I want a big close family, haha I like the idea of Irish twins. What was the quickest you have heard of or experienced getting pregnant after giving birth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ladyfee

2 months :)... only 11months between my cousins :) best of luck x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Coal1978

I'm still very sore and bleeding quite a bit, I'm going to try again in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We were told to do nothing for 6 weeks after the birth of our son.

You've only had a baby and need to give yourself time to heal.

Enjoy Christopher and get used to parenthood. Our son is 18 months old and we are only now thinking of number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wanted a gap of 4/5 yrs...didn't happen. I lost 5 babies and in the end it took 12 yrs to have a second child. I agree waiting is important to heal and get used to parenthood etc esp if its your first child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Coal1978 wrote: »
    I'm still very sore and bleeding quite a bit, I'm going to try again in a few days.

You should really wait until your body is healed before trying again. If you are breastfeeding it could take a few months for your periods to return and personally I would wait until they did to start ttc. You are still in the very early stages with your son so try to enjoy him for a few months and then you can get the worst of the sleepless nights out of the way before pregnancy tiredness & sickness kicks in! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i think you can begin again after your next period... by then your hormone levels return to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Six weeks from birth of baby one to the conception of baby two for someone I know. There are 44 weeks between the two babies ages. My husband and I have agreed that barring any big thing giving us a big change of heart we will not try but not prevent after this baby is born. I doubt we'll be in any huge rush to have sex after birth, especially with the bleeding, but we won't do anything to prevent pregnancy once we do apart from breastfeeding.

I'm 33 with endometriosis, and only conceived after surgery. My fertility remains high while I don't have a normal menstrual cycle but once that starts up again I realistically only have a 6-9 month window before my fertility begins to drop off. I can't leave too long between children or I may need surgery again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was already planning pregnancy no 2 before no 1 was born but my husband said we should give our son a year of our undivided love and attention.

I now realize I couldn't have coped with being pregnant within a year. My son is 15 months and I now feel ready.

It's up to the individual but I think you should give your body time to physically and emotionally heal from the last pregnancy and birth before going again. The next pregnancy won't be so straightforward because you'll have a little baby to care for too with all the stress and sleep deprivation that brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

the reason for the 6 weeks is to allow the uterus to return yo normal. it can cause medical complications if you don't five yourself time to heal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Coal1978

iguana wrote: »
    Six weeks from birth of baby one to the conception of baby two for someone I know. There are 44 weeks between the two babies ages. My husband and I have agreed that barring any big thing giving us a big change of heart we will not try but not prevent after this baby is born. I doubt we'll be in any huge rush to have sex after birth, especially with the bleeding, but we won't do anything to prevent pregnancy once we do apart from breastfeeding.

I'm 33 with endometriosis, and only conceived after surgery. My fertility remains high while I don't have a normal menstrual cycle but once that starts up again I realistically only have a 6-9 month window before my fertility begins to drop off. I can't leave too long between children or I may need surgery again.

That's interesting, I had a D&C and got pregnant straight away pretty much after it also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Fair play to you...I couldn't even think of having another one for about a year and a half after the first lol

Before trying again give it a few weeks...not only for your uterus to get back to normal, but to test the waters with the newborn...sleepless nights etc.

Interesting...I got pregnant the first try after a miscarriage too!

Go with what you think, talk it over with your doctor...congratulations on the birth of your son! Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

have 2yrs 21days between son and daughter and 2yrs and almost 3 mths between daughter and next son. those gaps are perfect, IMHO, they were old enough to understand what was going on a little, and a bit independent, but close enough to still be great friends and play together.
    Had a ms between 1st and 2nd and looking back it was no bad thing as i would have found it so hard to have 2 closer together then they are.
    but you manage what you get and if you want lots then crack on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I got pregnant 8 weeks after having my daughter. We weren't actively trying for a baby, but weren't actively preventing it either.
    I felt ridiculously broody the minute I gave birth to my daughter so was delighted to be pregnant again.

However I lost the baby 2 months later & feel it took a toll on my body as I had difficulty conceiving the second time.
    It took over 15 months to conceive again after getting pregnant the first two times within a month or two of trying.

I do think in hindsight it is wise to give your body a chance to heal after one pregnancy. It takes so much out of you.
    I had a little boy 3 weeks ago & like Lynski, I'm grateful now of the age gap between them.

Enjoy your new baby & best of luck with expanding your family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's interesting, I had a D&C and got pregnant straight away pretty much after it also.

I had a laparoscopy and with laser ablations on the growths on the ovary in January and got pregnant in February, about 5 weeks later. The growths change my hormone balance and caused me to be a lot less likely to conceive and significantly more likely to miscarry if I do. With them removed my fertility and miscarriage chances return to normal. But on average 6-9 months of periods are enough to start them growing again. If I want to avoid surgery in the future I need to manage the disease carefully after I give birth.

The thing is though that miscarriage and SIDS rates are higher in cases where the gap between babies is too small. So it's worth giving your body a bit of a chance to heal. Maybe consider not trying to conceive and just have sex when you want to for fun and romance for the next 6-12 months. Then if it happens, it happen but if it doesn't you've enjoyed good sex for the sake of good sex, instead of TTC sex which can often be very stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its not just the physical side of things you need to concern yourself with, its all the extra work and stress you have in your life simply having another child. I remember my first pregnancy was a very chilled time, I had nothing and no one else to worry about, the early days were great because it was just us and the baby.

With my second pregnancy I had a 12 yr old who was fairly independent and a husband who was home all the time but even with that I was tired and found it harder.

Being pregnant when you are a mom already is a challenge, no matter how hands on your partner is or how easy your other child is or how much help you get from friends or family.

Unless time is against you why make life harder for yourself? Having a first baby is a huge adjustment for you and your relationship. Give yourself time to adjust and then see how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

My eldest child is 16 I had him very young and when I was pregnant with my 2nd child at this stage my son was 12 I vowed I would leave very little gap. I breastfeed my daughter for 3 months and got pregnant straight away I didn't even have a period. There is a year and 1 week between them. It was tough going but wouldn't have it any other way but it wouldn't be for everybody. I am pregnant again with number 4 due in a fortnight but left a longer gap as I knew my limits and wouldn't have coped with 3 in a row. My youngest will be 2 and 8 months when this bundle arrives so I will still have 3 under 4 !!!! I must be mad :)

You do what you feel is right for you and what you feel you can cope with. Some people will think your mad others will think your right but only you know what's best for you and your family

• Registered Users Posts: 13 frankie1

I recently heard that the record for gap between babies for one woman in the Rotunda is 9months 9days!!!!! Imagine that!!! Crazy!! Enjoy your new babs and let your body recover.

frankie1 wrote: »
    I recently heard that the record for gap between babies for one woman in the Rotunda is 9months 9days!!!!! Imagine that!!! Crazy!! Enjoy your new babs and let your body recover.

:eek::eek::eek: the last thing I wanted (or felt fit enough to do!) 9 days after labour was make another baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

Oh my god!!!!!!! That woman needs a medal actually no she needs a fecking trophy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

Hi my first was 12weeks when we got married and fell pregnant with our second I had had 1 period since the birth of our son though and my gnae had said to try after the period comes as this tells you when your body is ready to carry a healthy baby again.
    It is very hard been pregnant and having a baby I was wreaked come 5pm in evening my son also at 4 mths to 12mths got very bad bouts of teething and would only sleep a hour at a time thinking back i am not sure how i coped with it all i know is the house was vvv messy and dinners were cooked mostly by mam and my hubbie so guess i saying if you havent a support system around you i leave it till your baby is at least a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

There is just shy of 14 months between my son and daughter but we had several miscarriages before we had our son. Just had a miscarraige again at about 8 weeks so drained.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Just had a miscarraige again at about 8 weeks so drained.

Sorry to hear that :( hope you're doing ok X

Sorry to read that Cathy :( xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Sorry to hear about your loss Cathy, take care of yourself x

I'm very sorry for your loss Cathy, hope you're ok x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Cathy I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you and your family are ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

I recently heard that the record for gap between babies for one woman in the Rotunda is 9months 9days!!!!!

He must have been 'at her' in the recovery room :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Op without sounding patronising, you cant know how much work is involved with a newborn until you have one. My baba has reflux and last night was the first time he slept for 5 hours in 5 months :eek: I would not have the energy to be pregnant right now and if I were then I would not be able to give my baby as much care and attention as I am. I hope you baby doesnt have reflux or any other issues so it may not apply to you.

You mentioned your husband is a doctor - what is his view on this? Is he pressing you to get pregnant again or is it your own choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mexihalo

'
    I heard a story of a member of our lets say 'non settled fraternity' been dragged of his wife in Hollies Street shorly after she gave birth....sounds suspect I know but......

• Advertisement

Op without sounding patronising, you cant know how much work is involved with a newborn until you have one. My baba has reflux and last night was the first time he slept for 5 hours in 5 months :eek: I would not have the energy to be pregnant right now and if I were then I would not be able to give my baby as much care and attention as I am. I hope you baby doesnt have reflux or any other issues so it may not apply to you.

You mentioned your husband is a doctor - what is his view on this? Is he pressing you to get pregnant again or is it your own choice?

Maybe she has a good sleeper? :D There are some couples who just fly through the early days. Look at those women who have 15 kids :D

Advertisement