Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm not saying that Mario as a character hasn't been overused in some cases, but do you honestly think Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario (which, we have to remember, is a JPRG with some platformer / adventure game elements) and New Super Mario Bros. are in anyway similar bar the presence of the main character and other various franchise references :confused: There's not a single franchise out there that continually justifies its existence by releasing creatively varied and ambitious titles.

To me, that's kind of like saying System Shock 2, Call of Duty: MW and Bulletstorm are all pretty similar.

No, as in they're platform games, or games with heavy amounts of platforming. If you don't like that genre of games, what do Nintendo have. Microsoft, despite a lot of FPS's, and Sony have more of a variety in regards to genres than Nintendo. Nintendo are pretty much the king of platform games, but tbh anything else they do is basically some other form of game involving Mario e.g Mario Kart etc

I own a Wii, and tbh, the amount of use its got is tiny in comparison to the Xbox and PC. There are Mario games,which I'm bored with tbh, Zelda which when I was playing Twilight Princess, I felt like I was playing a game I played before and then stuff like Pikmin or Starfox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

titan18 wrote: »
    No, as in they're platform games, or games with heavy amounts of platforming. If you don't like that genre of games, what do Nintendo have. .

Ah here. Not having that now. Mario kart isn't platforming. Nor is mario party. Nor is pikmin. Nor is starfox. Nor is Metroid. Nor is Zelda.

Thats the point. They have good IP's and the only one available near launch is pikmin. To me, thats hugely disappointing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I own a Wii, and tbh, the amount of use its got is tiny in comparison to the Xbox and PC. There are Mario games,which I'm bored with tbh, Zelda which when I was playing Twilight Princess, I felt like I was playing a game I played before and then stuff like Pikmin or Starfox.

Have you played No More Heroes 1/2, The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Little King Story, Sin and Punishment 2, Dead Space Extraction, Mad World, Zack and Wiki, Smash Bros. Brawl, Fragile Dreams, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Metroid: Other M, Beat-Trip games, LostWinds?

The Wii gets such a hard time, but there's a small tonne of great first and third party games on it. Even the franchise entries - Skyward Sword, the two Mario Galaxies, NSMB Wii, Metroid, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country etc... ranged from hugely original to brilliantly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not resurrecting Eternal Darkness for Wii U seems a huge missed opportunity for Ninty. I'm sure Retro could more than have handled it.

Kirby wrote: »
    Ah here. Not having that now. Mario kart isn't platforming. Nor is mario party. Nor is pikmin. Nor is starfox. Nor is Metroid. Nor is Zelda.

Thats the point. They have good IP's and the only one available near launch is pikmin. To me, thats hugely disappointing.

I never said Mario Kart. It's one of the very few Nintendo games I regularly enjoy playing.

Also, that's not what I said either really. I was saying that there's Mario games, which tend to be primarily platformers, and then their other stuff are the likes of Zelda, which I said I played and felt like I was playing the same game again, and then then stuff like Pikmin and Starfox, which I've enjoyed. Metroid is different alright.

• Advertisement

Have you played No More Heroes 1/2, The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Little King Story, Sin and Punishment 2, Dead Space Extraction, Mad World, Zack and Wiki, Smash Bros. Brawl, Fragile Dreams, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Metroid: Other M, Beat-Trip games, LostWinds?

The Wii gets such a hard time, but there's a small tonne of great first and third party games on it. Even the franchise entries - Skyward Sword, the two Mario Galaxies, NSMB Wii, Metroid, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country etc... ranged from hugely original to brilliantly executed.

I've played MadWorld and No More Heroes. Played Dead Space on PC, and didn't like it. Also, played Metroid:Other M, I thought it was pretty terrible.

Not saying there aren't bad games on the Wii, just considering I already have one, where are the games that will sell the console. For all Microsoft and Sony's fault, they have a lot of games across a wider range of genres and art styles to appeal to people

Tbf, ZombiU is at least a change

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just realised the problem with the big 3 conferences. They actually had interesting content, just badly presented with too much padding

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've played MadWorld and No More Heroes. Played Dead Space on PC, and didn't like it. Also, played Metroid:Other M, I thought it was pretty terrible.

Not saying there aren't bad games on the Wii, just considering I already have one, where are the games that will sell the console. For all Microsoft and Sony's fault, they have a lot of games across a wider range of genres and art styles to appeal to people

Tbf, ZombiU is at least a change

Well you should try many of the other ones I've mentioned. Not all of them are brilliant, but the vast majority are original, interesting and enjoyable. Every bit as varied as the 360 and PS3 have to offer. More so, I'd propose.

Sin & Punishment 2 and Zack and Wiki alone are worth the console price, really, and all the amazing first party stuff and fascinating third party games sweeten the deal.

Again, the problem is that the best games on every single system (and this applies to PS3 and 360 as well) are rarely the ones given prominence at E3 or gamestop shelves. Nintendo know their Mario games will sell, and in 90% of cases still go out and ensure they're amazing games in their own right. But to suggest that's all the Wii has to offer is an incorrect observation.

Well you should try many of the other ones I've mentioned. Not all of them are brilliant, but the vast majority are original, interesting and enjoyable. Every bit as varied as the 360 and PS3 have to offer. More so, I'd propose.

Sin & Punishment 2 and Zack and Wiki alone are worth the console price, really, and all the amazing first party stuff and fascinating third party games sweeten the deal.

Again, the problem is that the best games on every single system (and this applies to PS3 and 360 as well) are rarely the ones given prominence at E3 or gamestop shelves. Nintendo know their Mario games will sell, and in 90% of cases still go out and ensure they're amazing games in their own right. But to suggest that's all the Wii has to offer is an incorrect observation.

I suppose I should have said earlier that it's not just the difference in genre, it's the difference in art style, tone etc. None of the big Nintendo franchises, that pretty much sell the system to people are incredibly different imo. Especially when a lot of them are rehashes and sequels of games in the past. Like, I have a Wii, if Nintendo try and sell the WiiU with a new Zelda, a new Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart etc, I can play those games on the Wii, and whilst there might be some changes, I can't see myself buying a new console for that. I doubt I'm the only one who feels Marioed out just through the sheer amount of times the character appears

In comparison, whilst Microsoft and Sony do that aswell, at least there's more of a variety e.g Sony's big franchises being God of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo and MGS. They're all incredibly different, and then you can add in the likes of Heavy Rain, Killzone,Infamous etc. Like, I mean, I'd never buy something like God of War or Killzone, but I know I can get something like Uncharted or Heavy Rain which cater more for me. I don't actually own a PS3, since I bought an Xbox originally when Mass Effect was exclusive to it.

Oh, and to add. It's grand bringing out a new console, but you better bring new games with it. If Nintendo really went for it, and launched the WiiU with a new Super Mario Bros, a new Zelda, a new Metroid, a new Pikmin etc, I still wouldn't buy it. I've played those games, give me something new and different, that I haven't played. Some sort of different controller isn't enough

I suppose I should have said earlier that it's not just the difference in genre, it's the difference in art style, tone etc. None of the big Nintendo franchises, that pretty much sell the system to people are incredibly different imo. Especially when a lot of them are rehashes and sequels of games in the past. Like, I have a Wii, if Nintendo try and sell the WiiU with a new Zelda, a new Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart etc, I can play those games on the Wii, and whilst there might be some changes, I can't see myself buying a new console for that. I doubt I'm the only one who feels Marioed out just through the sheer amount of times the character appears

In comparison, whilst Microsoft and Sony do that aswell, at least there's more of a variety e.g Sony's big franchises being God of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo and MGS. They're all incredibly different, and then you can add in the likes of Heavy Rain, Killzone,Infamous etc. Like, I mean, I'd never buy something like God of War or Killzone, but I know I can get something like Uncharted or Heavy Rain which cater more for me. I don't actually own a PS3, since I bought an Xbox originally when Mass Effect was exclusive to it.

Pretty sure there are far more significant tonal and art style differences in the four titles above than any of the PS3 ones you've mentioned!

• Advertisement

Pretty sure there are far more significant tonal and art style differences in the four titles above than any of the PS3 ones you've mentioned!

Imo, none of those are system sellers. Also Dead Space Extraction is on the PS3.

Like, I'm talking specifically about what the games that are pushed as you must buy our console cos this game is on it e.g Mario, Zelda, Halo, MGS etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

I have never cared less about a system launch. And I love Nintendo!

Imo, none of those are system sellers. Also Dead Space Extraction is on the PS3.

Like, I'm talking specifically about what the games that are pushed as you must buy our console cos this game is on it e.g Mario, Zelda, Halo, MGS etc.

I guess you and I significantly differ on what constitutes a personal system seller, then :) Would take the imagination of any of those titles over the blandness of Infamous, Gran Turismo, Killzone (particularly appalling stuff) or God of War anyday of the week. I'd argue Journey, LittleBigPlanet, Yakuza, Demons Souls and others are far more persuasive reasons to own a PS3 than any of them. Uncharted excepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

So you want a Nintendo console without a Metroid, Zelda, Mario or Pikmin at launch worked well for the 3DS that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GTR63 wrote: »
    So you want a Nintendo console without a Metroid, Zelda, Mario or Pikmin at launch worked well for the 3DS that.

Console is selling like hot cakes now. Also didn't exactly harm the DS which last time I checked had become the best selling console of all time. Nintendo really need to get the third parties on board because after the bottom dropped out of the third party market they were the only ones really supporting Wii. It was the N64 all over again, although I'd argue that the Wii has a far better library than the N64 at least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is the new nintendo console out this year?It does look interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

This is what made me buy a PS3 anyways.

I guess you and I significantly differ on what constitutes a personal system seller, then :) Would take the imagination of any of those titles over the blandness of Infamous, Gran Turismo, Killzone (particularly appalling stuff) or God of War anyday of the week. I'd argue Journey, LittleBigPlanet, Yakuza, Demons Souls and others are far more persuasive reasons to own a PS3 than any of them. Uncharted excepted.

I'd agree with you on MadWorld being better, haven't played the others, but I'd define a system seller by the marketing and potential sales it'd get. If it's marketed as something special, kinda like Halo, or Sony launching Killzone and it's meant to be the Halo killer.

I don't mean system seller based on quality, I'd base it on its expected impact on the consoles sales and the marketing the console maker do to make it sell. I bought an Xbox for Mass Effect

Why not? Nintendo are clearly talented game developers, can they not create a new character and franchise rather than continually rehashing their old ones

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Console is selling like hot cakes now. Also didn't exactly harm the DS which last time I checked had become the best selling console of all time. Nintendo really need to get the third parties on board because after the bottom dropped out of the third party market they were the only ones really supporting Wii. It was the N64 all over again, although I'd argue that the Wii has a far better library than the N64 at least.

The 3DS only got going after the likes of Mario appeared and a price cut. 100% agree nintendo need 3rd parties but anyone questioning their 1st party line up is a clown imo. Would of been a odd E3 had the Nintendo Conference just been Reggie in a bed with different devs hoping in and out of bed with him. Why hello Mr.Levine do you want any more blanket?

• Advertisement

Why not? Nintendo are clearly talented game developers, can they not create a new character and franchise rather than continually rehashing their old ones

They are talented devs but when you end up pulling random things out your ass you end up with Shadow the Hedgehog or Blinx the Cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

nintendo fell short today but they will come on top tomorrow with 3ds

only takes a company a year to get going

they have created a new character is name is shulk :D

nintendo fell short today but they will come on top tomorrow with 3ds

I'd love to hear something about the Phoenix Wright and Layton game but I feel we will just hear about the first 3DS Layton for the west. Want to hear more about Castlevania too.

I'd love to hear something about the Phoenix Wright and Layton game but I feel we will just hear about the first 3DS Layton for the west. Want to hear more about Castlevania too.

i hope they show off project zero 3ds more than anything else

imagine that **** moving the 3ds around while ghost come flying at ya

i be scared at night with my light off lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because Nintendo are much better at marketing than you or I and know what they are doing and have been doing it for years. They know that they have a series of iconic characters that they can put on games and guarantee sales and have Mario spin-offs or can use the Kirby character for more innovative and crazy ideas that might not sell but give them commercial presence so that they will succeed.

And Nintendo are constantly making new characters and franchises. Last gen brought the Elite Beat Agents, the 'Rhythm' characters, Xenoblade's cast as well and Pandoras Tower, Another Code and Hotel 514, Chibi Robo, Captain Rainbow. There's also the excellent Fawful who has gained a cult following. They're so good at it that you don't even notice when they are doing something new. I won't even go into how they were also rather successful at reintroducing long dormant characters and franchises like Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Mother and Sin and Punishment to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Actually looking back at games coming out at launch/launch window, it's not as bad as originally thought:
    Lego City
    ZombiU
    Rayman Legends
    NSMBU
    Pikmin 3
    Project P-100(though debatable about release)
    Marvel Avengers
    Scribblenauts

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Actually looking back at games coming out at launch/launch window, it's not as bad as originally thought:
    Lego City
    ZombiU
    Rayman Legends
    NSMBU
    Pikmin 3
    Project P-100(though debatable about release)
    Marvel Avengers
    Scribblenauts

There is a Game and Wario game coming too a weird hybrid of warioware and the game and watch that sounds good in my head anyway.
    Is Rayman Legends really a WiiU exclusive?

dont forget tank tank tank

game looks dope

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

About 3 hours of battery life on the pads apparently :confused:

Advertisement