Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

0vIux.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I was amazed at how little they did with the Vita they had to know it needed a lift, the Assassins Creed game has promise but a COD logo Really? Thats the best you can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Helix wrote: »
    for whoever was asking about the avengers, it's a fighting game

Oh, even better :D

Also, on a side note:

:P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Covenant, really? That's very disappointing. Here was an opportunity to actually do something new with the Halo franchise. More of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Shiminay wrote: »
    Covenant, really? That's very disappointing. Here was an opportunity to actually do something new with the Halo franchise. More of the same.

You did watch the whole demo right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Heys guys so I watched the xbox,sony,Ea and ubisoft conferences.I wasn't around for the last day or two so did I miss anything from nintendo or anybody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Ac3 wii u runs at about 8fps... Very shoddy

There's more than the covenant, the prometheans are the new baddies. They use forerunner tech and they're quite badass

I know most of you here won't care, but the wonder book is genuinely impressive

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Helix, from your point of view, what's the opinion of the Nintendo conference from you and from those around you? Was it that they didn't have as much to show as expected, or was it all just badly presented?

Consensus seems to be that it was ok at best. Had a play of the wii u and I'm not convinced. It does 2D stuff beautifully, but more detailed stuff looks far worse than ps3 and Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

How does that compare to other versions, do you know? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    How does that compare to other versions, do you know? Thanks

Just watch AC3 in action on any game site for the 360,PS3. It speaks for it's self and looks stunning and is smooth as silk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Heys guys so I watched the xbox,sony,Ea and ubisoft conferences.I wasn't around for the last day or two so did I miss anything from nintendo or anybody else?

Not really.
    Ubisoft "won".
    PS3 and 360 were meh.
    Nintendo was the worst, considering it has a new console to showcase.
    I will say ZombiU(WiiU exclusive) looks promising.
    Beyond looks good too.

Imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

F1ngers wrote: »
    Not really.
    Ubisoft "won".
    PS3 and 360 were meh.
    Nintendo was the worst, considering it has a new console to showcase.
    I will say ZombiU(WiiU exclusive) looks promising.
    Beyond looks good too.

Imo.

Ah really I had watched sony's and microsoft which as you say were quite poor so I was expecting something decent from nintendo what with the new console and all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It does 2D stuff beautifully, but more detailed stuff looks far worse than ps3 and Xbox

The third parties have said that they are just showing very early demos of thier games. They just converted the engines over quickly and made mock ups using the assets without much optimisation so not really telling of what the hardware can do. Also means it might be a bit of a wait after launch when these titles appear.

Not much there in the leaked specs although the eDRAM on the GPU looks like they are taking lessons from MS. 32 MB of it is a big advantage over the other two depending on the rest of the specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Consensus seems to be that it was ok at best. Had a play of the wii u and I'm not convinced. It does 2D stuff beautifully, but more detailed stuff looks far worse than ps3 and Xbox

Until the Wii U becomes the base system for developers from which they port to 360 and PS3, then there's a chance the Wii U version won't look the best.
    You just have to look at games that are developed on 360 then ported to PS3. Gamers often cite the 360 version as the best. And the same goes the other way. At least that's my understanding.

Though the more I've seen and heard and thought about it since the conference, the more I'm liking the sound of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Until the Wii U becomes the base system for developers from which they port to 360 and PS3, then there's a chance the Wii U version won't look the best.
    You just have to look at games that are developed on 360 then ported to PS3. Gamers often cite the 360 version as the best. And the same goes the other way. At least that's my understanding.

While thats generally been true, the Wii U apparently has alot more memory than both the 360 and ps3. This will probably help regarding the shoddyness of ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The third parties have said that they are just showing very early demos of thier games. They just converted the engines over quickly and made mock ups using the assets without much optimisation so not really telling of what the hardware can do. Also means it might be a bit of a wait after launch when these titles appear.

Not much there in the leaked specs although the eDRAM on the GPU looks like they are taking lessons from MS. 32 MB of it is a big advantage over the other two depending on the rest of the specs.
    Yet even the Nintendo stuff was running at 720p with no AA. I know it's still early days but it's quite interesting nonetheless. Far too early to make a call on it either way but I guess we'll see how they shape up as we get closer to launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is there anywhere I can watch the whole press conferences?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    Yet even the Nintendo stuff was running at 720p with no AA.

You mean like every other game this generation? Slap on some FSAA which takes up very little power and you've got parity with other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I always thought that was due to the architecture difference for graphics in the 360 and PS3, the 360 being similar to a PC setup where the GPU handles all the graphics while the PS3 offloads a certain type of shader to one of the Cell cores. Hence why PS3 exclusives look better as they are coded directly for the system.

Would really depend on what way the WiiU is setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Weird, it looks much better in this video:
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/06/06/e3-2012-dont-worry-about-assassins-creed-iii-on-wii-u

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I always thought that was due to the architecture difference for graphics in the 360 and PS3, the 360 being similar to a PC setup where the GPU handles all the graphics while the PS3 offloads a certain type of shader to one of the Cell cores. Hence why PS3 exclusives look better as they are coded directly for the system.

It's not that simple. They both have their quirks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Would really depend on what way the WiiU is setup.

That's it more or less. The ATi GPU in the 360 is more powerful than the PS3 nVidia GPU, the 360's GPU was custom built for the console and the PS3 GPU was based on the GeForce 7 series used in desktop PCs at the time The 360 has 8Mb GDDR dedicated to it's GPU and 512Mb split anyway the developers want. PS3 has no dedicated GDDR RAM and 256Mb for graphics, textures and 256Mb for the system functions. It's the brute power of the Cell that drags the whole thing in line. The 360s CPU is not a patch on the PS3's Cell but it does not need to be because of the GPU and RAM architecture. More than one way to skin a cat in the console world.

In cross platform games the 360 generally beats the PS3 for visuals. One notable exception being Oblivion which looked better and had a higher frame rate on the PS3. But I don't think that was a port and came out much later than the 360 version. PS3 exclusives do generally set the bar higher than what the 360 normally displays though.

60 mins to go till 3ds press confernce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

tajd wrote: »
    60 mins to go till 3ds press confernce

I'm hoping for some interesting news when I wake up tomorrow! Based on how the rest of e3 has played out this year, I won't be holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You mean like every other game this generation? Slap on some FSAA which takes up very little power and you've got parity with other platforms.
    I was specifically referring to the lack of AA at that resolution given the increased amount of eDRAM in the system.

Advertisement